-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Many woods that do not measure up to ebony have common names that include "ebony."

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by KSMITH
It is indeed a Buckeye. Apparently not good for anything. Thanks guys.

Ohio State fans are probably saying the same thing after the Sooners trounced them over the weekend.

He went over yonder way
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
There was definitely an ass kicking in the horse shoe and the buckeyes furnished all of the ass. Looks like his pixie dust comment to Tom Herman kinda backfired on him. powdr

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
That's what happens when you run your mouth.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
It is indeed a Buckeye. Apparently not good for anything. Thanks guys.

Obviously you never hit a buddy with one when you were growing up...
wink

You have not lived until you have been in a Buckeye fight with your buddies....We used to go Home bruised from Head to Toe.... crazy

Last edited by KentuckyMountainMan; 09/11/17.

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
People used to carry buckeyes in their pocket for Good Luck.
Same as a rabbit's foot.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cannot see link.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
What is true ebony? My interest is piqued.

Ebony is a Genus of trees with very black wood.... Gaboon ebony is the most commonly used wood for making fore end tips on wood stocks. Persimmon has coal black heartwood, but not much of it. The sap wood is very white. Persimmon is extremely hard and heavy,, like black ebonies. It is used for making wood golf club heads. I saw a floor made of it at a golf country club and it was incredible.

Persimmon, cut and dried, makes some fine woodcutting wedges that won't tear up your chainsaw if you accidentally hit it. Dogwood, too.

I bet a persimmon floor would be impressive.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J

Ebony is a Genus of trees with very black wood.... Gaboon ebony is the most commonly used wood for making fore end tips on wood stocks. Persimmon has coal black heartwood, but not much of it. The sap wood is very white.

Persimmon is extremely hard and heavy,, like black ebonies. It is used for making wood golf club heads. I saw a floor made of it at a golf country club and it was incredible.

Good info there Sd. My cousin has a fair sized 60-80 yr old one in his feedlot. I will tell him about that. Thanks.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by poboy
Same as a rabbit's foot.

Too bad Ohio football uniforms dont have pockets. smirk

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by poboy
Same as a rabbit's foot.

I was given one as a youngster for good luck. I carried it for a long time before it escaped.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Buckeyes and horse chestnuts aren't the same thing.
Buckeyes have 5 palmed leaves with pointed tips and the fruits are covered with spines. The buds are dry.
Horse chestnuts have 7 palmed leaves with rounded tips and the fruits have fewer spines than buckeyes. The buds are sticky.
Buckeye trees get taller. Buckeyes are native to the US while horse chestnuts were introduced from Europe.

Neither are edible. Supposedly you can boil buckeye seeds to remove the acid and they're safe to eat. I tried it one time with some horse chestnuts. After a couple hours of boiling, they were still far too bitter to even taste.

Persimmon leaves are alternate down the stem. They aren't palmated like the ones in this photo.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

Ebony is a Genus of trees with very black wood.... Gaboon ebony is the most commonly used wood for making fore end tips on wood stocks. Persimmon has coal black heartwood, but not much of it. The sap wood is very white. Persimmon is extremely hard and heavy,, like black ebonies. It is used for making wood golf club heads. I saw a floor made of it at a golf country club and it was incredible.

Persimmon, cut and dried, makes some fine woodcutting wedges that won't tear up your chainsaw if you accidentally hit it. Dogwood, too.

Ed

If you are into that sort of thing, try to get your hands on a chunk of mountain mahogany... it is the only NA wood I would say trumps persimmon... and I am including both ironwood and cocabolo in that comparison. Mountain mahogany was tested for use in woodwind instruments but they could not find fasteners stronger than the wood when testing screw-holding ability.

Shuttles in woolen mills were exclusively made of persimmon forever because it never wore out...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Buckeyes have 5 palmed leaves with pointed tips and the fruits are covered with spines. The buds are dry.
Horse chestnuts have 7 palmed leaves with rounded tips and the fruits have fewer spines than buckeyes. The buds are sticky.
Buckeye trees get taller. Buckeyes are native to the US while horse chestnuts were introduced from Europe.

Neither are edible. Supposedly you can boil buckeye seeds to remove the acid and they're safe to eat. I tried it one time with some horse chestnuts. After a couple hours of boiling, they were still far too bitter to even taste.

Persimmon leaves are alternate down the stem. They aren't palmated like the ones in this photo.

I have no idea where this info comes from, but it is mostly incorrect...

Buckeyes and horse chestnuts belong to the same Genus and the names are pretty much interchangeable. To decide to call some buckeyes and others horse chestnuts goes against what everybody else has been doing for a very, very long time. Your separation by leaf numbers is completely false, as is the shape. If nothing else you are leaving out some of the common ones from Asia, Japan, and other parts of the World.

Also, most can be crossed and produce fertile offspring in many cases...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Ebony is a Genus of trees with very black wood.... Gaboon ebony is the most commonly used wood for making fore end tips on wood stocks. Persimmon has coal black heartwood, but not much of it. The sap wood is very white.

Persimmon is extremely hard and heavy,, like black ebonies. It is used for making wood golf club heads. I saw a floor made of it at a golf country club and it was incredible.

Good info there Sd. My cousin has a fair sized 60-80 yr old one in his feedlot. I will tell him about that. Thanks.

The wood is very nice but does not command a high price until cut and dried as the wood is a little tricky to dry and mills do not find it a favorite to cut! wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here in N. La., buckeyes grow on a bush that grows about head high. About the most buckeyes I ever saw on a bush was 10-12. When I worked in Ca., there buckeyes grew on trees. I saw buckeye trees that were 25-30 ft tall with hundreds of buckeyes. Just to make sure they were the same thing, I picked a few. The buckeyes from Ca. were larger.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Back in the 1980's the Japanese got on a golfing kick, so they started buying up all of the persimmon they could find to make golf clubs with. Prices here soared. Lots of people would go to church on Sunday morning and come home to fine the persimmon tree in their yard gone. There was a minimum diameter that would be bought, but I forget the size. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

I have no idea where this info comes from, but it is mostly incorrect...

Buckeyes and horse chestnuts belong to the same Genus and the names are pretty much interchangeable. To decide to call some buckeyes and others horse chestnuts goes against what everybody else has been doing for a very, very long time. Your separation by leaf numbers is completely false, as is the shape. If nothing else you are leaving out some of the common ones from Asia, Japan, and other parts of the World.

Also, most can be crossed and produce fertile offspring in many cases...
Same genus, yes. Same species, no. While they might cross, that doesn't make them the same thing. Case in point: dogs and wolves. I've argued for years that dogs and wolves are breeds of the same species but I've been outvoted time after time. So, I'll use everyone elses argument and contend that these trees are different. What they're commonly called is irrelevant. What they actually are is what matters and they are genetically different.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We have buckeye trees in the 12 acre piece north of our house. That piece borders up with a neighbor who has several large buckeye trees and has made no attempt to cut them down or trim them up. That means over the last 50 years we now have buckeye trees on our place. I'm about to jump over the fence and trim off the offending branches that have grown over to our side. Buckeye trees and multi-floral rose bushes seem to grow together making the elimination of the buckeye trees difficult without cutting through large patches of the multi-floral roses. To the best of my knowledge nothing eats the buckeyes. They just continue to grow out of control until they meet Mr. Echo or Mr. Stihl. Like the Supreme Court says, they have no redeeming social value. Although, I agree, they make great missiles for a "friendly" buckeye fight.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

Ed

If you are into that sort of thing, try to get your hands on a chunk of mountain mahogany... it is the only NA wood I would say trumps persimmon... and I am including both ironwood and cocabolo in that comparison. Mountain mahogany was tested for use in woodwind instruments but they could not find fasteners stronger than the wood when testing screw-holding ability.

Shuttles in woolen mills were exclusively made of persimmon forever because it never wore out...

Sitka, is mountain mahogany the same as Madrone? i know i have destroyed many saw chains on Madrone

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

141 members (10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 358wsm, 204guy, 16 invisible), 1,943 guests, and 1,100 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,906
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.