Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have three that would quality.

Factory Colt lower with Geissele SSA, Vltor Emod stock, BCM hammer forged 16" Govt. profile mid length gas upper with Colt FA BCG, troy/viking tactics rail. BCM/DD front sight, Larue Rear BUIS, BCM gunfighter mod 0 comp and mod 4 charging handle. Aimpoint Comp 4 with Larue QD mount. The fixed detachable sights are running lower 1/3 co-witness with the Aimpoint. Sprinco CS Blue recoil spring with H buffer, Sprinco ejector spring and BCM 5 soil CS extractor spring with black insert. Magpul winter trigger guard adn MOE plus grip.

Noveske Rogue hunter 18" SS lightweight, factory except replaced the ALG ACT trigger with a Larue MBT two stage trigger (awesome BTW), Sprinco CS white spring H buffer and CS ejector spring, BCM 5 coil extractor spring/ black insert, Magpul MOE plus grip, Silencerco ASR muzzle brake. Troy flip up battle sights front and rear. No optics yet but looking at the 1-8 Trijicon, Tango 6 Sig in a 1-6. Will be mounted with a Larue, ADM or Bobro QD mount.

LMT Defender 16 M4 Govt. profile carbine gas with Sopmod stock, LMT two stage trigger, H2 buffer with Sprinco CS blue spring. Sprinco ejector spring and BCM CS 5 coil extractor spring/black insert. LMT full auto weight BCG. Vltor CASV EL rail system, BCM gunfigher mod 4 charging handle, fixed front sight with GG&G MADD rear flip up BUIS. Aimpoint COMP M3 with A.R.M.S QD mount.

Last edited by Timberbuck; 11/04/17.
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My "fightin" AR is a Colt 6920 Magpul addition with an M4 red dot.

Last edited by Mittenman; 11/06/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just curious as to the opinions of rifles like S&Ws mp15 sport w a 1/9 twist barrel?

I also noted that I didn't see a single mention of anything from RRA in this thread. Never heard of BCM til today, but they are close to home and I'd like to hear more about them.

Informed opinions about suitability of the springer saint, and rugers ar556 for utility/defense weapons welcome.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Others may chuckle, but I trust nothing totally from the factory. And I"ve have no issues with an RRA. I just run the snot out of em up front and fix anything needed.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm also interested in opinions on holographic sights. The best, the worst, the most reliable and easiest to use.
Which would work out best for a utility/defense rifle? Or are they to be avoided?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
MSTN Built Larue Upper/Lower/Rail
Noveske Afghan14.5 SS
Geiselle SSA-E
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't forget the Magpul Bad Lever.It's a must on my rifles.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Colt AR15A4 rifle
Geissele SSA-E trigger
Daniel Defense Omega Rail
Daniel Defense fore grip
Harris bipod
Geissele scope mount
Matech BUIS
Burris 2-10x42 XTR II scope
Ergo grip
VTAC sling

Last edited by ar15a292f; 11/09/17.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by jimmyp
any consensus on nitrided barrels wearing as well as compared to the chromed barrels? I don't know if they are as resistant to wear/rust as chrome?.

Good Question.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Nitride is OK but in my opinion chrome is more durable

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Of course, an actual "battle rifle" is going to be whatever is issued from the armory...

Probably nothing fancy, just a basic M-16 or M4.

Guy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GuyM
Of course, an actual "battle rifle" is going to be whatever is issued from the armory...

Probably nothing fancy, just a basic M-16 or M4.

Guy

Not really.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Blue, glad to see your posting again.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
[quote=Glynn]One guys perspective, I know. Now I just keep my buis in my range bag or back pack, same as a back up bolt, spring kit, etc. My gun doesn't get worked all that hard anyway.

Short "Recce"-

11.5"
Geissele 10" Rail
Geissele Trigger
1-8x mil/mil scope
NF Mount
Surefire Warcomp
B.E Myers MAWL-DA
Surefire Scout
BCM Grip/Stock/CH
WOTG sling

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by wareagle700
Formidilosus, why did you censor the 1-8X Nightforce?

So was it the ATACR or NX8? grin

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
This sure has been an interesting thread. One thing that I realized after having an AR rifle is I'd rather have them in the heat of the battle, than my lowly ol bolt actions. One rifle that I would trust my life on is my North Tech Defense. It is extremely accurate and quite maneuverable. I love shooting it in different field positions and off the bench. It has never had one glitch and I've fired quite a few rounds downrange with it now. I don't care if it has a longer barrel than some of your battle rifles, it suits me very well, I'd go into battle with this one:

[Linked Image]

Specs:

1. Gen 3 PRS stock
2. K2+ grip
3. Tuned RRA 2 stage match trigger
4. Windham weaponry varmint exterminator 1 in 8 twist 20" barrel
5. Noveske 16.7" NSR
6. Armaspec LPK with ambi controls (not shown in pic)
7. BADD lever
8. North Tech Defense upper
9. Spikes tactical lower
10. Right to Bear Arms Nickel Boron BCG
11. Radian raptor charging handle

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Having said this, I realize I am a newbie to AR's. A year from now, I may think something is better, but for now I'd go with this one.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Yes
Originally Posted by wareagle700

So was it the ATACR or NX8? grin

ATACR.

Though for the vast majority of uses I would and do, choose the NX8.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I'd like to hear yalls opinion on gas blocks.......

I see a lot of full length rails that require low profile gas blocks.
Do you prefer a pinned front sight base that has been shaved to fit under the rail or
a low profile gas block with set screws? Do you require the barrel to be dimpled for the set screws?

Have you had gas blocks come loose?

Great thread, lot of good information!

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
My personal preference is for a low profile gas block, single screw with a dimpled barrel.

However, if anyone else has a better idea, I'd like to hear about it.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by MoranoGrande
I'd like to hear yalls opinion on gas blocks.......

I see a lot of full length rails that require low profile gas blocks.
Do you prefer a pinned front sight base that has been shaved to fit under the rail or
a low profile gas block with set screws? Do you require the barrel to be dimpled for the set screws?

Have you had gas blocks come loose?

Great thread, lot of good information!

I prefer pinned as first choice with clamp-on blocks probably second choice over setscrews. Dimpled is otherwise known as dog pointing and I would not use a set screwed block unless it was. Because of the heat involved I am suspect of those using only locktite. If there is enough meat an old trick is to run two short setscrews in the same hole. One on top of the other. I trust this even more than a jamb nut on an extra length set screw. If the screw is near to flush it can be staked with a centerpunch to prevent it backing out. Pinned is still best and there are blocks available for that. Nothing wrong with shaving a front sight tower but cosmetic results may vary from one mechanic to another. Also note some set screws are cup pointed and others are knurled. Pick your poison. I like my poison knurled... if I'm using poison. grin

Last edited by Captain; 08/22/18.

NRA Benefactor Member

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizenry still gets to vote!"
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
As said above, pinned is as solid as it gets. There are jigs available for low profile gas blocks.

Clamp on blocks are supposed to put less stress ( affect accuracy less) than dimples and set screws. They also hold well when correctly installed.

I have not seen a gas block come loose that was set screwed and have one LaRue barrel with their 3 screw gas block. As long as it's covered by the rail, tightened farmer tight with loctite, it should be okay.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

495 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 19rabbit52, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 50 invisible), 2,288 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,506
Posts18,472,309
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.