Page 25 of 32 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 31 32
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
I didn't read the whole thread but am now worried...I plan on pulling the old '06 out of the gun cabinet for a hunt in December...I hope I can still get ammo and components for it!

I didn't know it was obsolete....

Are you going to Kodiak or Africa? That's a mighty big cartridge you are fixing to work with.

Texas for Nilgai...Texans seem to think all of their animals are made of Kevlar, so Im taking the biggest gun in the house...gotta borrow t from my wife cause I don't have anything near that size.

That sounds like a cool hunt. You figuring on copper or partitions?
I swear I am beginning to think that I may just shoot factory ammunition out of the Tikka I just got, in 30 Whelen.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Joel.it will probably be Partitions, or basic 180 grain Hornadys.Im hunting a cow for meat and they are roughly the size of a cow elk...and I know either bullet will work.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Joel.it will probably be Partitions, or basic 180 grain Hornadys.Im hunting a cow for meat and they are roughly the size of a cow elk...and I know either bullet will work.

You'll be fine with the '06 as long as your outfitter is ok with you using it. Some require a 300 win mag minimum for the kevlar penetration. Fwiw, I used a 300 win mag with 165 gr Barnes and got a full pass through on a 575lb bull. He piled up in about 80 yards. The guys I used thought the 30-06 was fine with monos.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have a cow tag this year, in 391, and will try to find a bull too, as always. One of the guns ready to go, and the one that will get the nod if shots look to be long, is a 700 in 30-06 with 200 gr Partitions. 59 gr H4831 in Win brass with 215M shoots very well, about .8 moa, and I'll carry them this year.

I've seen them in action several times for elk and deer on both open areas and in closer timber, and they typically knock the stuffing out of things as they exit. The only exception I've seen to this typical performance was last year, on a buck about 385 yds across a canyon. Hunting partner hit him directly in the ass, two inches to the right of the "bullseye", and the bullet barely made it to the liver. We could tell it was hurt bad, and I watched the impact, after which it stumbled, got its footing, walked a few steps, then lay down in some deadfall. We got over there as fast as we could run, and it required a finisher, because it got up and started walking when we were about 20 yds away.
Buck didn't want to die. Finisher missed the spine, but put a gaping hole through the middle of his neck. We started dragging him to a spot to begin cutting, and he was still trying to move his head. We both thought the 200 Pt would have traversed his body, but found the bullet had only gone 16 to 18 inches.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

When I grow up, I want to be your camera man.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Well! If it's any consolation Poobs, this year I'm chasing nilgai with a muzzleloader AND ROUND BALL!! Just a cow. They are delicious and plentiful.

I like the cows!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
30-06 works fine for me. Usually drops them after a couple of steps.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ingwe: when is your trip? Who are u hunting with?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
pm sent.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
The .30-06 should work on a cow, even with those equally obsolete Partitions.

I've killed two nilgai bulls with a .270, believe it or not, but it was a .270 Winchester Short Magnum, which no doubt makes a vast difference in field performance--and being named "magnum" may even change a cartridge's sexual orientation.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

I've killed two nilgai bulls with a .270, believe it or not, but it was a .270 Winchester Short Magnum, which no doubt makes a vast difference in field performance--and being named "magnum" may even change a cartridge's sexual orientation.

Magnums without belts. The most transfriendly cartridges. They are a celebration in cartridge diversity. grin

And the fact that they are short in stature in no way implies any disability. That would just be so wrong on so many levels.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Short and fat. Don't forget the fat shaming aspect.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mathman

They are not fat,they just have a BMI greater than less diverse cartridges. BMI stands for Brass Mass Index and should not be used to exclude any cartridge from consideration. grin

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I'm a little cartridge, short and stout. Here is my headstamp, here is my spout....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'm a little cartridge, short and stout. Here is my headstamp, here is my spout....

I can just see a Kindergartener in the school production dressed as a 300 WSM.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

That made be laugh so hard my Diet Mountain Dew came out my nose. grin

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ruraldoc

but it was a .270 Winchester Short Magnum, which no doubt makes a vast difference in field performance--and being named "magnum" may even change a cartridge's sexual orientation.

Magnums without belts. The most transfriendly cartridges. They are a celebration in cartridge diversity. grin

And the fact that they are short in stature in no way implies any disability. That would just be so wrong on so many levels.

Originally Posted by ruraldoc

They are not fat,they just have a BMI greater than less diverse cartridges. BMI stands for Brass Mass Index and should not be used to exclude any cartridge from consideration. grin

I can just see a Kindergartener in the school production dressed as a 300 WSM.

grin grin grin

This is probably the BEST collection of sarcastic humor I've EVER read on the 'Fire' ! ! cool

I can sleep like on a cloud now. smile THNX

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

You dont think the Partition will 'pencil on through'???Ive heard they do that all the time.

And no, a .270 wont be less gay cause its a WSM....short and fat. Lots of gays are " Ch hubby Chasers"...

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
To the contrary, I've heard many times that Partitions "fail" frequently by losing the front core.

Until this moment I hadn't realized the guys who, uh, had their way with Ned Beatty in DELIVERANCE were probably .270 WSM fans, but wouldn't realize it for another 30 years.

John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
To the contrary, I've heard many times that Partitions "fail" frequently by losing the front core.

Yes, actually one of my first 'discussions' here was about all the Partition 'failures' of the front cores one guy had had.

Amazing.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Page 25 of 32 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 31 32

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (1936M71, 1lessdog, 160user, 222Sako, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 58 invisible), 2,524 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,331
Posts18,487,575
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.