Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm looking to put some new shoes on my truck that will handle our winters and still be good summer tires. I don't do any offroading with only the occasional dirt road mixed in. After doing a review a few years back I had settled on a set of Bridgestone Dueller Revo AT II's but they absolutely sucked in the snow and they wore down pretty quickly. Having run the BF Goodrich AT KO's, they wore down to quick for my liking and reduced my gas mileage at the same time so those are off my list as well. So what are you gents running other than snow tires in the winter?

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't run a rifle when I duck hunt...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bf KOs .....suck ! I swap for studed coppers m&s.....when I didn't my truck wore copper atr sipped

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
And I don't carry a shotgun when I bowhunt but that's neither here nor there. Either offer something up or don't respond, but you just can't seem to help yourself.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have run AT's for many years in the winter on a couple of different trucks, as mentioned they suck as snow tires.

If you don't want to get a separate set of rims to run dedicated snow tires, what I've done is run studless snow tires and live with the fact that they wear out a little bit faster when run year round considering the savings of not having a second set of rims.

Depending on how many miles you drive a year, and assuming you don't drive like a teenager, I find I'd get 2-3 winters out of the studless winter tires run year round (30-40k). Note the softer grippier compound wears out before you hit the wear indicators on the tires. Ideally if you put them on at the start of winter you get two winters of good traction, and the third they start falling off. I haven't had any issues running the winter tires in the summer.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I had great use out od BFG Rugged Trail tires on my truck. They did well in snow and mud.
Just replaced them a week ago with something cheap[truck is 24 years old so...]
But they may not be aggressive enough for your uses.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Got 68,000 K on a set of Firestone Destination A/T's They were on an F-150 and were more than adequate in the snow.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
And I don't carry a shotgun when I bowhunt but that's neither here nor there. Either offer something up or don't respond, but you just can't seem to help yourself.

Shoulda known you would not understand...

If you are willing to assume the risk of running second rate gripping tires that wear out quickly and are inferior to studs or even siping, have at it. Anchorages ice is bad but wrecks are worse.

Get hard tires for summer driving and grippy winter tires. The amount of driving I do in winter hardly justifies a second set of tires, but the summer driving wears tires out so much faster I would not get two good years out of A/Ts.

The math is not hard. I have very good tires on my Excursion and have 125k on the two tire sets I am running.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I've been pretty happy with my Michelin defender LTX M/S ...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nothing but the Michelin LTX/MS for me. I know it sounds nuts but I got 140k on my first set on my Tacoma. The truck is on its 2nd set now.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
When I lived in snow country, I ran two sets of tires and wheels, winter wheels/tires for about 5.5 months and summer wheels/tires for about 6.5 months.

I leave a Lincoln Aviator in Breckenridge, CO, and run a set of Blizzaks during the winter months and a set of Michelin LTXs during the summer months. The Aviator is nearly helpless in deep snow with most all-season tires, but the Blizzaks turn it into a go almost anywhere vehicle if the snow isn't more than 18" deep. If you can only afford or justify buying one set of tires, I'd buy the Michelin LTXs.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

If you are willing to assume the risk of running second rate gripping tires that wear out quickly and are inferior to studs or even siping, have at it. Anchorages ice is bad but wrecks are worse.

Get hard tires for summer driving and grippy winter tires. The amount of driving I do in winter hardly justifies a second set of tires, but the summer driving wears tires out so much faster I would not get two good years out of A/Ts.

The math is not hard. I have very good tires on my Excursion and have 125k on the two tire sets I am running.
Oh I understand you quite clearly. Your answer had nothing to do with what I asked but I'm not all that surprised by it. If I wanted to know what snow tires to run I wouldn't even had to ask that question because I already know the answer. Lastly I don't need you to explain tire compounds and sipping to me, I'm well aware of how that affect longevity and grip on the road.

As for those replying with an actual answer, it's much appreciated.

Steelhead

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have not found a good combo tire , a good winter snow tread is soft and does not last long.

I cant get into a accident for less than 1K, so I run Cooper studded in winter and Cooper std in summer.

Spendy but figure I have saved money in the long run.

Running snow plows in winter showed me there is no substitute for studded tires in certain conditions.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
kk I agree ime.

the other part that saves money is I've always rotated momma's tires, in olden days I used studded snow tires for her vehicles. Last 4-5 years (heck maybe longer) I put Blizzaks on whatever she drives. Just put a piece of duct tape on them denoting where that tire was and as season changes and I switch them out rotate per directions.

It adds a lot of tire life ime. If I wasn't so damned lazy I'd do it on my vehicles too, but her, she's who I really care about and I'm just too damn lazy to do it on all of our vehicles. I keep chains in mine if things get dicey. Not much help at intersections, but in my old age I've become a more safe driver instead of being in such a damned hurry all the time.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
finding a good all season tire is kinda like finding rainwear that holds up to a downpour but still breathes really well. An elusive sob ime

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm in the right tool for the right job camp. Studded Hakkapelitta's in the winter for me. Still on the factory all season Conti's in summer (2008 F-350).

Jeff

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by akjeff
I'm in the right tool for the right job camp. Studded Hakkapelitta's in the winter for me. Still on the factory all season Conti's in summer (2008 F-350).

Jeff

That's almost depressing.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by akjeff

Jeff

That's almost depressing.

Huh?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Oh I understand you quite clearly. Your answer had nothing to do with what I asked but I'm not all that surprised by it. If I wanted to know what snow tires to run I wouldn't even had to ask that question because I already know the answer. Lastly I don't need you to explain tire compounds and sipping to me, I'm well aware of how that affect longevity and grip on the road.

As for those replying with an actual answer, it's much appreciated.

Funny, lots of folks "got it" when I said there is too much difference between winter and summer to run the same tires here. Anchorage ice is far more common than just about anywhere and it is treacherous... running second-rate tires on it does not pencil out. Make them soft enough to grip and they die in a year or two.

Choose between buying tires or paying all the other costs associated with a simple accident... and then factor in the cost of literally buying that second rate set of tires over and over again...

DOT does not want you to run studs though they are absolutely without peer for stopping on ice.

The probability of having an accident in Anchorage in the winter as a driver new-to-ice is very high...

If you had a clue what siping was you might even spell it correctly...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like sipping a couple of these before I drive on snow ...

Flat Tire Cocktail Recipe
Categories / Shots / Flat Tire ◄►

Ingredients : Flat Tire

- 2 parts tequila
- 1 part sambuca

Use a "Shaker" for Flat Tire drink recipe
Shake tequila and sambuca over ice. Strain into shot glass.
Serve in "Shot Glass" Garnish: No

Woo Hoo !!! grin

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (219 Wasp, 10Glocks, 21, 1minute, 260madman, 1OntarioJim, 57 invisible), 2,399 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,431
Posts18,489,256
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.