Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by biglmbass
Nothing but the Michelin LTX/MS for me. I know it sounds nuts but I got 140k on my first set on my Tacoma. The truck is on its 2nd set now.

When fall hunting season comes around I change out my tires when they hit 65k miles no matter how much tread is left and with the Michelin LTX/MS there is always plenty of tread remaining.

Hunting season is too important to try and get more miles on a old set of tires. I have ran 4 sets of these on my 4x4 and every set still had legal tread but got replaced at 65k.

Back home my old hunting buddies back in northern PA say they get over 70k or their Suburbans with the LTX/MS's.

Have a new 2018 ordered and by next year the crappy Goodyear tires Chevy puts on the ZR2 will be replaced with Michelin LTX's.

Ted
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by akjeff
Originally Posted by kingston
I'm in the right tool for the right job camp. Studded Hakkapelitta's in the winter for me. Still on the factory all season Conti's in summer (2008 F-350).

Jeff

That's almost depressing.

Huh?

Your summers are so short, that in nine years you haven't worn out the original tires on your 08 F-350.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm in the right tool for the right job camp. Studded Hakkapelitta's in the winter for me. Still on the factory all season Conti's in summer (2008 F-350).

Jeff

That's almost depressing.

Huh?

Your summers are so short, that in nine years you haven't worn out the original tires on your 08 F-350.

Living elsewhere, would likely depress me! I primarily just drive my truck in the winter. Summers, I am riding one of my motorcycles. Not unusual to only put 1000-2000 miles on my truck between May-Sept. Sometimes less.

Jeff

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Also have never found a combo that does both well and that's down here in the tropics.

But being a cheap bastid and driving a Yota, I use two sets of the Hankook AT's--one winter, one summer. After a couple winters from new, they rotate from winter to summer tread. I don't check mileage anymore, just try to stay on the straight and narrow.

Defend the Constitution
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by biglmbass
Nothing but the Michelin LTX/MS for me. I know it sounds nuts but I got 140k on my first set on my Tacoma. The truck is on its 2nd set now.

Wondering how much joy you would have driving those around here after the first week of glare ice...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I know I don't live in Alaska anymore, but I put Duratracs on my truck and was really impressed with the snow traction. I don't know how they would hold up on a full sized truck as I drive a newer tacoma and looks like I can expect 40-50K of useful tread out of them. Which is fine by me and I plan on replacing them with the same when the time comes.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Living elsewhere, would likely depress me! I primarily just drive my truck in the winter. Summers, I am riding one of my motorcycles. Not unusual to only put 1000-2000 miles on my truck between May-Sept. Sometimes less.

Jeff

Clearly you're not hauling horses in the summer!

That's when my Ford gets it's most mileage!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender

Jeff

Clearly you're not hauling horses in the summer!

That's when my Ford gets it's most mileage!

Jeff has been on some of those memes you see... he is the one with his horse draped across his shoulders...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gonna piss some of these, I have the perfect tire folk.

Every single dam characteristic of tires is a tradeoff.
There is no high traction asphalt snow mud ice, wear forever, high load rating,
smooth riding, quiet tire. Either you compromise or you speacilize.

If I lived in Alaska, I would speacilize, two sets of tires.
But, I would probably compromise by using an all terrain type in summer.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
For one tire, it would be tough to beat the Michelin LTX MS.

But that will never equal a set of Blizzaks (or similar) in the winter, especially if you stud them.

An accident, if you survive, costs a lot of money!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

AT summer tires make a lot of sense simply because we sometimes bump into winter in summer... and especially at each end of summer.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In my experience they sure aren't the white letter BFG All Terrain T/A tires. They looked nice being wide like that, but on ice they had a mind of their own. I remember needing to buy a new set of tail lights for one of the cars in the parking lot when I turned, but the truck didn't. The guys who plow snow like the taller thin tires for penetration. When I did a lot of traveingl around the Midwest slippery stuff, the two most frequently seen vehicles in the ditches were the little light weight cars and the tall high center of gravity 4x4's. Around here the 4x4 guys drive like they have a tank on rubber tires. Get 6,000 pounds on high, hard tires moving and they don't stop very well.

Last edited by Windfall; 09/16/17.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Coopers are the only brand thats come apart on me. But they paid for body damage and all...

The michelin LTX is the best set I've had so far on my F350. DOn't drive in snow, yet, but can comment that they are a long lived tire with good tread so far.

I'm sure thinking that once we get here, 2 sets of tires might be the safest and cheapest in the long run. But since we are completely stupid to snow and mostly ice, i reserve the right to change my mind.

I'll say as I sign out... I've never been unhappy with any of the michelin offerings over our life and my parents life, though pricey.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There's nothing like turning off from a perfectly good road surface, even for "I'm a -a-cheapskate" universal tires, into a left turn lane which glides like grease (on a red light) to make one realize that tires are certainly no place for being a miserly cheap-ass. The sounds emitted by any other passengers alone should be enough to prove that point.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
There's nothing like turning off from a perfectly good road surface, even for "I'm a -a-cheapskate" universal tires, into a left turn lane which glides like grease (on a red light) to make one realize that tires are certainly no place for being a miserly cheap-ass. The sounds emitted by any other passengers alone should be enough to prove that point.

Is it just me or do others have the sensation of accelerating in that situation?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
General Grabber AT2's are pretty good in the snow. Thay are studdable and carry the snowflake winter rating from the manufacturer. Only AT tire I could find that was winter rated. I got back and forth to work with them all winter last year and we had lots of snow. All in all I'd have to say they are better "winter tires" than the Firestone Winterforce they replaced but not as good as some of the other winter tires I've run in the past. Not all winter/snow tires are created equal.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

AT summer tires make a lot of sense simply because we sometimes bump into winter in summer... and especially at each end of summer.

Got to agree on early/late winter on the shoulders. Also, good tread is important when pulling a trailer through mud to get to a trail head.

I run studded M&S tires in the winter and an 'AT type tire' in the summer.

A lot of the time I will pull studs from the winter tires when i'm no longer comfortable driving on them for tread depth or stud length, and run those as summer tires.

I bought new ATs last month prior to driving through Canada as the studless M&S 'probably' would have been fine, but I wanted a higher confidence level of a problem-free trip.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Klikitarik

Is it just me or do others have the sensation of accelerating in that situation?

Only when the brakes (or breaks) are applied. crazy

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tires with the cords showing are the best well from my resume days they were

Last edited by 79S; 09/16/17.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

207 members (257 mag, 160user, 1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 2500HD, 19 invisible), 1,774 guests, and 982 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,343
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.