Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If it bleeds it leads....

Same as the Glock vs 1911 articles from the 80's. Holy crap....

GB1

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Tom,

John Snow has been the shooting columnist for OL since Jim Carmichel retired in 2008. He was a pretty experienced shooter and hunter before then, but because of his job has gained a lot more since then.

Thanks JB..I don't get Outdoor Life....or any of the others anymore....I just look here for your writing. Nothing else matters! laugh

(Don't tell Eileen that...)

I agree. BLM right? Only Barsness Lies, I mean Lines Matter grin

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by moosemike
John Snow is doing his job with articles like this. A gunwriter has to be somewhat provocative. Especially with his title. If he would have titled it "The 6.5 Creedmoor, another cartridge that's as good as a whole litany of other cartridges", we wouldn't be talking about it right now. I recently saw something from Terry Weiland about the .30-06's day having come and gone and about there being much better options and I just felt he was doing what gunwriters do to get your attention. I'd do it too if I was one.

That's funny because I'm pretty sure I've got one of his pieces here where he says he prefers the '06 over the 7mm RM, not that the two positions can't be reconciled.

Not sure I agree that the writers have to be provocative, just when that's what the rag wants.

As an aside, I recently fell for one of those $8 offers from Guns and Ammo. Already wish I had my money back.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
moosemike,

Actually, we don't really know what John Snow titled the article. My experience in writing for a number of magazines is that more often than not, the editor's going to change the author's title. Some don't, but most do, often to create a theme among the mix of articles in that issue, or because the author's title was pretty boring, or because they want to catch readers, especially those who tend to browse through magazine racks. Which is exactly why magazine covers often have eye-catching photos and condensations of article titles on their covers.

I'm sure glad we have the Campfire to get away from provocative writing....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by greydog
I think the 7x57 is the ultimate rifle round and has been for over 120 years. GD

I am glad that someone stepped up to say it. There ain't nothing on God's Green Earth that hasn't fallen to that round, except maybe t-rex and pterodactyl, and I'm not even sure about that. We'd have to ask Ingwe.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I'm waiting for the article titled' "The 6.5 Swed; the Thinking Man's Creedmoor."

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 16bore
Originally Posted by jackmountain
I'm loading for deer season now. 54gr of imr4350 under 165 SGK's. The deer are lucky since that combination won't kill them.
Probably won't be able to hit one anyway since my little CLR is wearing a Leupold 3-9 with friction adjustments.
Like 16 said, 99 problems..... but venison in the freezer aint gonna be one of them. I have zero use for a creedmor. Obviously YMMV depending on your AO.

I bought a whole box of Federal 100's for a RAR 243 I've got $150 in. Hope to zero it before deer season and shoot some groceries. I don't think I've fired a rifle during 2017. Probably out of practice. Damn the luck.

I'm over, over thinking it. Gonna spend my time scouting and hunting instead of worrying about BC that doesn't amount to [bleep] when hunting in Appalachia. I'm having a ball shooting 250 yds with suppressed subsonics in the 300 BO I just picked up. Never seen a drop chart with 6" between 50 and 100 yds before!
As for groceries, mama told me this morning I need to put some ground meat in the freezer because the beef doesn't taste near as good.

Last edited by jackmountain; 09/16/17.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Old guns and old ammo won't kill new deer.

Im gonna give er hell!! grin

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
My solution is to buy whatever moves me, new, old, or in between.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I'm loading for deer season now. 54gr of imr4350 under 165 SGK's. The deer are lucky since that combination won't kill them.
Probably won't be able to hit one anyway since my little CLR is wearing a Leupold 3-9 with friction adjustments.
Like 16 said, 99 problems..... but venison in the freezer aint gonna be one of them. I have zero use for a creedmor. Obviously YMMV depending on your AO.

I bought a whole box of Federal 100's for a RAR 243 I've got $150 in. Hope to zero it before deer season and shoot some groceries. I don't think I've fired a rifle during 2017. Probably out of practice. Damn the luck.

I'm over, over thinking it. Gonna spend my time scouting and hunting instead of worrying about BC that doesn't amount to [bleep] when hunting in Appalachia. I'm having a ball shooting 250 yds with suppressed subsonics in the 300 BO I just picked up. Never seen a drop chart with 6" between 50 and 100 yds before!
As for groceries, mama told me this morning I need to put some ground meat in the freezer because the beef doesn't taste near as good.

If a guy actually "hunts", it don't mean schitt anywhere....

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
moosemike,

Actually, we don't really know what John Snow titled the article. My experience in writing for a number of magazines is that more often than not, the editor's going to change the author's title. Some don't, but most do, often to create a theme among the mix of articles in that issue, or because the author's title was pretty boring, or because they want to catch readers, especially those who tend to browse through magazine racks. Which is exactly why magazine covers often have eye-catching photos and condensations of article titles on their covers.

I'm sure glad we have the Campfire to get away from provocative writing....

The cover teaser reads "6.5 CREEDMOOR: THE ULTIMATE RIFLE ROUND".

The title of the article reads"6.5 CREEDMOOR - HOW THIS MILD METRIC WENT FROM NICHE COMPETITION ROUND TO SHOOTING AND HUNTING SUPERSTAR".

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Love me some Creed.... and the .260 even more.... but everyone knows the 7mm Rem Mag is the ultimate rifle-round.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
I'm waiting for the article titled' "The 6.5 Swed; the Thinking Man's Creedmoor."

A fella looking to buy a T3 in either Creed or Swede would likely drive himself nuts trying to decide.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Love me some Creed.... and the .260 even more.... but everyone knows the 7mm Rem Mag is the ultimate rifle-round.

I wish......

Mine has been sitting in the classifieds for months.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My son is agonizing over his Creedmoor right now. One of his Army buddies wants to trade him a Sedgely 1903 .220 sporter for it. It's a good trade but my son isn't wild about a 1-14" Swift.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by RevMike
Originally Posted by greydog
I think the 7x57 is the ultimate rifle round and has been for over 120 years. GD

I am glad that someone stepped up to say it. There ain't nothing on God's Green Earth that hasn't fallen to that round, except maybe t-rex and pterodactyl, and I'm not even sure about that. We'd have to ask Ingwe.

Ingwe with his 7x57 spear is the reason those animals are extinct. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
My son is agonizing over his Creedmoor right now. One of his Army buddies wants to trade him a Sedgely 1903 .220 sporter for it. It's a good trade but my son isn't wild about a 1-14" Swift.

He can get back into a 6.5 Creedmoor for under $400 via the Howa 1500 or RAR-P.

Sedgley Sporters don't come along every day and if the price is right, you've got to go for it.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Exactly why I quit reading magazines years ago....there is no such thing really....

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

He can get back into a 6.5 Creedmoor for under $400 via the Howa 1500 or RAR-P.

Sedgley Sporters don't come along every day and if the price is right, you've got to go for it.

The price is right. He just wants my sons Weatherby Vanguard 6.5 Creed for the near mint Sedgley sporter he inherited.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

B-29 puts the 7mm RM to shame, haven't you learned anything being on here? laugh

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

709 members (12344mag, 17Hunter, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 153, 73 invisible), 3,027 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,978
Posts18,480,823
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.