Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I was a typical 70's binge drinker as a kid. Same thing through college and my Africa years. Had a couple of close DWI calls in my late 20's early 30's.

Drinking pretty much tapered off to nothing in my married/fatherhood decades.

Now that I'm back on my own I'm finding alcohol gives me no joy at all. It feels like injecting novocaine into my brain, a dead feeling.

Just as well because I got a family tree littered with alcoholics and I wouldn't want to be some old guy sitting at home alone, drunk.

I mean, we have the innernet for that nowadays wink

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Yep. Haven't had a drink since this morning.

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I watched alcoholics in my family ruin what little family tree I held dear. I'm sure you can deduce from that how I feel about it.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The only thing I lack is real opportunity. Don't find I want one on regular day to day basis, unlike my younger days.

But, if I have a fire going in the pit, it seems wrong not to have a beer.

Or if I had an opportunity to sit in a honkey tonk and listen to live music, I'm drinking.

Or rained out on an Elk hunt in Vale, with a couple blokes - I'll enjoy drinking.

But I enjoy the taste of porters, darks, etc. Yeungling is about as commonplace as I get. Anything else is hopps flavored kool aid, and I have lost my taste for that.

And I used to be a big scotch fan, but not so much anymore.

That said, I will put a hurting on a bottle of kahlua - if its there, its hit. And I can probably drain it, straight, in a sitting.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by deflave
Yep. Haven't had a drink since this morning.

Clark

Slacker......

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am too tired to lift the bottle when I get home.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Just turned 50 and yes just about everything has changed for me from decades prior.

I like a nice glass of wine Every so often during dinner. Also a cold beer after a hard hot project has been completed or worked on. A neat coupla drams of whisky now and again later in the evening when reflecting on my life as well,

I suspect maybe one or two drinks a week on average. Nothing like back in my 20s or 30s.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
change to wine or vodka and listen to :

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can't lose a taste that you never had in the first place.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
after I had my heart attack, I lost all taste for beer and booze. Doctor said it was the combination of medicines I was taking. Thank goodness that is behind me now. I am back to loving beer, and really liking Bourbon and Rum. smile

some folks are 'addictive'. They seem to get hooked on booze or drugs immediately. I can drink heavy, and stop. Coffee, booze and what have you. Just no addiction at all, no matter how hard I 'abuse' the stuff.

Last edited by Mannlicher; 09/19/17.

Sam......

IC B3

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I like a good cold lager!!!!!!

Isn't Oktoberfest just around the corner??? wink

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Never really developed a taste for it. A brief period during military service I put away a bit daily. When offered a drink during social activites now, I take it. Have none at home.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Except for high school and college, I have always been an occaisonal drinker, one to three drinks a week. I still am and see no reason the change.

NRA Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A number of years ago my dentist recommended that I start a regimen of mouthwash, suggesting some anti-this-and-that version of Listerine. When I came back in 6 months, he asked me how I was doing with the mouthwash, and I told him I'd not like the taste of the stuff he'd recommended, but that I'd found an all-natural replacement. He complimented me on my gums and asked what I was using.

"It's imported from Scotland," I said. "It's made from all-natural ingredients, and it's so good for you, you're allowed to swallow it. Besides, it's about half the price of that Listerine stuff."

"That's incredible," he replied. "What is it? I think we'll start using it here."

"Scoresby," I said. "About $20 a half-gallon."

"Scoresby? I've never seen it in the drug store"

"Yes, and you don't buy it at the drug store, you buy it at a liquor store and I use it every night just before I eat my dinner. I'm sure if you start using it in the office, you'll be the favorite dentist on the Westside of town."

So there you have it! If anyone wants to know, it's because my dentist told me to.

A wee dram of Scotch every night for me and KYHillChick. It's a good tonic, and definately improves the end of the day.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
no. Bulleit Bourbon on sale at the BX, 19.95...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by jorgeI
no. Bulleit Bourbon on sale at the BX, 19.95...

LMAO.

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never really had a taste for alcohol. I do own a pretty good percentage of a brewery though. Just don't drink much at all.

Harry
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I was a heavy drinker up into my mid-30s. When I met my second wife drinking began to tone down and it pretty much disappeared 5 years later. I still have a drink socially or if out for dinner but that is pretty rare. I don't drink after hunting much as many of my hunting partners are recovering alcoholics and I don't want to tempt them.

I still like alcohol but do not "need" it as I once did. Getting into a serious relationship and then marriage put a damper on consumption. Probably the same with most others of sound mind as responsibilities took precedence over hobbies.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
I like a good cold lager!!!!!!

Isn't Oktoberfest just around the corner??? wink

It's on now, the Mayor of Munich tapped the first keg on September 16th.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I have discovered when I'm not around family, or I'm alone, I drink a hell of a lot less!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

178 members (1beaver_shooter, 300_savage, 14idaho, 16penny, 2ndwind, 30 invisible), 1,644 guests, and 1,105 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,864
Posts18,478,646
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.