B
How do you shoot a 338WM off a bench?

recoil isnt bad standing up but is a completely different animal on the bags

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Good stock weld on your cheeks or you'll pay for it. Concentrate on your form. Use a sissy pad if you must. I would not advise you use a lead sled if you have a wooden stock! It'll split one quickly under that circumstance. Mine's a pussycat....I shoot 225 grain Northforks. At least you wont be surprised by the recoil...you know its coming and it ain't a 223. For some reason, that calms me down on the bench...I tell myself to just man up and take it because I know its coming.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I pull mine in snug to my shoulder, firm hold. It can't hit me then, it only shoves.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman
I pull mine in snug to my shoulder, firm hold. It can't hit me then, it only shoves.

Yep. And mouth closed. Mine will clack my teeth a bit otherwise.

Now with even more aplomb
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I don't! grin

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Brian

.............................So far all of the above mentioned plus the following. You might consider installing a muzzle brake.... When on the bench try putting some downward pressure on the scope with the palm of your non trigger hand..... Wear a padding shooting vest.....If the existing recoil pad on your 338 is hard, then a slip on recoil pad would help to absorb the recoil.

There are a few things you can do.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

I'd say if you are having trouble with .338 you're shooting everything else wrong. I've never treated any of mine any different than I did any other sporter weight rifle from .223 family up through .458. Take a firm and consistent grip .. not "clench", pull the butt pad into your shoulder, then put a little force from your shoulder towards the rifle so you stiffen up a little, invoke your steely death stare through the scope, and squeeze ye olde trigger. (Then ask yourself WTF? release the safety, and try it again. :))

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Make sure that you're sitting as close to upright as you can be. Leaning forward and into the recoil is OK with a 308 or a 30-06, but it makes things a LOT worse with a 338.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Brian,

Two or three shots from the bench is not a big deal as long as remember to always pull the stock tightly on your shoulder, and not to get your eye too close to the scope. The problem with any heavy-recoiling rifle is shooting for extended periods of time, such as when sighting a new scope, or developing loads. For these I always use a lead-sled with a 20-pound (or so) bag of lead shot). When using a led-sled you still place your shoulder tightly against the sled as you pull the stock toward your shoulder, but the stock's pad is held by the sled, not against your shoulder, so you don't feel the recoil. A lead-sled costs from $60.00 to $200.00 (the price is up to you). The one I use cost me around $80.00 at Sportsman Warehouse.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/394466/caldwell-lead-sled-solo-rifle-shooting-rest

You will notice the Y support with a strap at the front of this sled. This supports the stock just below to scope, and the other end holds the stock's recoil pad. Keep in mind that you still need to have a 20-pound (or so) lead shot. Solid objects don't work well with lead-sleds because these slide around during the recoil, but a 25-pound bag of lead-shot stays put in the sled's tray, but it will cost you around $59.00.

Last edited by Ray; 09/19/17.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Limbsaver recoil pad on the rifle and a Past, ambidextrous, strap on, shoulder pad (from Midway). You can handle some big stuff with those 2, just don't join the "half moon club" (scope bit).

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I shoot hard kickers sparingly, and I try to remember to clench my jaw a bit. Last time I shot, it was an extra slip-on recoil pad and a folded towel between my shoulder and the stock. And I kept forgetting to keep my jaw tensioned for some damn reason. My teeth seemed to actually rattle. I hate shooting from a bench.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I shot my .338 Magnum off the bench prior to every hunting season to confirm zero, I shot handloads with 275gr. Speer RN so recoil was pretty stout. As mentioined by above posters a good cheek weld and pulling the stock firmly into your shoulder are important to not get overly beat up by the recoil. I managed with the solid red Winchester recoil pad but were I to be shooting a .338 WM now I would definately want a Decelerator pad.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Buy a dollar pair of cheap flip flops at wally world and cut off the thong part. Slide it between the rifle and your shoulder. It spreads the recoil out and also gives a second pad. Works great when I have to sight in a boomer

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A poor man's lead sled that works ok is the MTM Shoulder Guard.

I use mine for load development with heavy kickers. Good for the low price but you still need good technique.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

1) I don't, and 2) if I did it would be VERY CAREFULLY.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
After polishing off say 800,000 rounds or more....doesn't pose much of a problem!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Good advice.. When I shoot my .340 or .338's when I had them, I just held tight against the shoulder and went at it.. I did sight my pals super light .300 Wea. Using the cab of a small truck for a rest.. It was just the perfect height for a standing bench rest.. The difference in recoil was very noticeable...

Molon Labe
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Buy a dollar pair of cheap flip flops at wally world and cut off the thong part. Slide it between the rifle and your shoulder. It spreads the recoil out and also gives a second pad. Works great when I have to sight in a boomer

Even better, if you have a spare 20 bucks:

PAST recoil pad shield

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/680235/past-field-recoil-pad-shield-ambidextrous

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Lot of good advice. Mine is - hold it like you love her!

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
When working with the heavies a "standing bench" is the better solution. Some ranges have them. One about shoulder height or a bit less. If possible a solid cover "closure" over a pickup bed, (preferably a 4x4 with lift kit) with a bag of shot for the rest or equivalent works well.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (007FJ, 17CalFan, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 16penny, 62 invisible), 2,437 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,440
Posts18,470,889
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.