Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Anything that costs over fifty bucks gets analyzed pretty well before I buy it. In this case, I had to choose between the serrated blade and the slick one. Ordinarily that's a no contest for me since I don't know how to sharpen a serrated blade.

But, thinking about cutting rib bones on large catfish swayed me to the serrated one. Now I'm having second thoughts and since I haven't opened the package, I could swap it back to Academy.

Anybody used either one of them?

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'm like you. I don't care much for serrations. That said, I haven't purchased one of the bubba blades yet.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I'm not a fan of serrations on anything other than a bread knife.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
cur',

I don't have a Big Bubba but if you want to sharpen serrations, the Spyderco Sharpmaker is the way to go. Worth the coin.

And I do like a serrated filet or kitchen knife when kept sharp. They'll shave hair and go straight through schit a flat edge won't.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Ditto

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Don't waste your money on a Big Bubba. They are overpriced Chinese crap. Buy a USA made Dexter Russell for less than half the price. When I clean a large volume of fish I use an electric filet knife. They are not as precise as a regular blade, but they'll carve through decent size rib bones and they are fast. When you go down to the charter docks on the Gulf Coast where hundreds of fish may need to be cleaned as quickly as possible, you normally see electric filet knives. Dexter Russell is the most prevalent of the standard filet knives. Up in Alaska you normally see Victorinox at the charter docks.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I guess you missed the part that I've already bought one. And I wear out several electric filet knives each year.

Now...... if you want to discuss cheap ass Chinese crap, ALL the electric knives available to me certainly qualify.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I just ordered the sharpener. Walmart online is a good bit cheaper than the other sources.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Electric fillet knives are the answer to the question no one should be asking.

Watch the real pros working in fish packing plants and you will see knives barely long enough to do the job and fish being fileted unbelievably fast and we'll.

The most experienced use knives barely big enough though they can handle bigger... the least experienced use over-sized knives even though they do not know how to use them...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by curdog4570
I guess you missed the part that I've already bought one. And I wear out several electric filet knives each year.

Now...... if you want to discuss cheap ass Chinese crap, ALL the electric knives available to me certainly qualify.

No I saw where you had already bought it, but were considering returning it. Academy sells the better Dexter Russell for half the price. Maybe the serrated knife will work for you. I certainly hope so.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Electric fillet knives are the answer to the question no one should be asking.

Watch the real pros working in fish packing plants and you will see knives barely long enough to do the job and fish being fileted unbelievably fast and we'll.

The most experienced use knives barely big enough though they can handle bigger... the least experienced use over-sized knives even though they do not know how to use them...

I consume the fish those real pros clean. They don't do a very good job in general. They leave too much of the fishy dark meat that lies against the skin.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Count me as a fan of the Bubba Blades! Got 4 of them now. The 9" tapered flex, 7" tapered flex, and 9" tapered stiffy get the most use. I've thrown away every electric fillet knife I had. I can go thru a double limit of bass in less than 10 mins with the 9" flex. The Stiffy fillet will handle those BIG Santee Cooper cats with no problems, and does double duty at the camper as a chef/carving knife. All of mine have hold their edge. Just hit them on the steel couple strokes before I start cleaning fish and I'm good to go.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
betting bubba won't filet a nice redfish as easily as our electric ones. Good thing about electric, they are cheap.... 10 bucks or so and though I fish a bit, not a ton, I"ve yet to wear one out. blades on them have needed sharpening though.....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I fillet a lot of fish and use the Dexter Russell knives along with a DR steel. On larger fish I fillet around the ribs and never even open the belly.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Anything that costs over fifty bucks gets analyzed pretty well before I buy it. In this case, I had to choose between the serrated blade and the slick one. Ordinarily that's a no contest for me since I don't know how to sharpen a serrated blade.

But, thinking about cutting rib bones on large catfish swayed me to the serrated one. Now I'm having second thoughts and since I haven't opened the package, I could swap it back to Academy.

Not criticizing, but I catch catfish in the spring up to 15 lbs, and never cut through a rib bone for fillets. Just curious if I'm missing something.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I use another knife for the heavy stuff, switch to my regular fillet knife for the delicate stuff.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MadMooner

ditto

I was thinking about getting one of those Bubba's but went with a $20 Penn (non-serrated)

[Linked Image]

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I just ordered the sharpener. Walmart online is a good bit cheaper than the other sources.

I can't believe they carry it.

Your serrated knives will shave hair.

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J

I would get the smooth blade, Gene, as i have converted to not cutting through rib bones, as now i cut down to them and then cut down toward the belly just outside them, filleting meat off them.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I got one for a Christmas gift a while back. I need to see if I can find out where I put it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 53 invisible), 2,517 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,474
Posts18,471,489
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.