Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
JamesJr Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Most of my pastures are permanent 5 strands of barbed wire, but I have a couple of smaller areas on which I use electric fencing. It's a pretty hot fence, and the horses and cows never get out. I found out why this morning. I forgot about it being there, bent down to pick something up, and rammed my head against the wire. Growing up on a farm, and having farmed about all my life, I've had numerous experiences with electric fencing, and have been shocked many times. I didn't get just shocked today, I literally got knocked down. I've never, ever, ever been shocked that hard. I swear I saw stars. My head is still hurting. It stunned me for a minute or so, and made me think about the people who get hit with a taser gun, and how it must feel.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Fence the Liberals!

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's hard on cats too. I put dat sheeit around my garden. Sounded like a billy goat being castrated. laugh

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
If it was that bad something is askew IMO.

The only reason a taser makes you fall is because of the arc between two points of contact. A fence shouldn't do that.

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Most of my pastures are permanent 5 strands of barbed wire, but I have a couple of smaller areas on which I use electric fencing. It's a pretty hot fence, and the horses and cows never get out. I found out why this morning. I forgot about it being there, bent down to pick something up, and rammed my head against the wire. Growing up on a farm, and having farmed about all my life, I've had numerous experiences with electric fencing, and have been shocked many times. I didn't get just shocked today, I literally got knocked down. I've never, ever, ever been shocked that hard. I swear I saw stars. My head is still hurting. It stunned me for a minute or so, and made me think about the people who get hit with a taser gun, and how it must feel.

Damn! frown

I crossed one of those while hunting a few years back. Held the wire down with the butt of my rifle and was in full straddle when it slipped off! blush

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

The "light" went through your CNS, grounding out via your feet, and that ain't a good thing.
I wouldn't make a habit of using your head in that manner.
Very different from touching with a hand or other bodily extremity.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I used it to keep dogs from getting out.It worked really well. The beagles never got out after that.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Must have a pretty good ground! Is your ground rod into the water table or something?

Done right, an electric fence is something to behold. Ours are pretty lame out here. Not enough moisture in the ground.

Ideally you would run a ground wire in between the hots to make a better circuit. That is a doozy if you touch both.

How is your fence set up?

I know I have told this story before, but a few years ago I was fighting fire in Roosevelt county Montana. North of Wolf Point on the Reservation's buffalo pasture. These were special "pure blood" buffalo from Yellowstone.

As in a lot of line breeding and crappy results.

Anyway, those buffalo were fenced in by a 5 wire hot fence. When the fire came they just went to a corner and burned up. I guess they decided a firey death was preferable to touching that fence. It would make the hair on your arms stand up from 10 feet away.

I am MAGA.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Was the ground abnormally wet.

Then again there is nothing quite like the 5 second ride.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I know the feeling, I got my thumb on our electric fence last month while whacking weeds and it left my hand numb for few minutes. We have a 50 mile fencer on less than a mile of wire and have it grounded well.

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
It depends on the controller and the amount of moisture in the ground. A 50 mile controller designed to work on sheep and other livestock with long hair will make you see Jesus. They won't kill you, but they'll make you think you're dying. I've tested them once or twice and have no desire to do it again.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
We've got a 200 mile fencer. I don't know how many miles we have, but it isn't a massive amount. I've been hit by it several times. The pop is always directly related to how well grounded you are. My worst has been when holding a ground wire with one hand and accidentally touching the hot with a pair of fencing pliers in my other hand. Went up one arm, across my chest, and down the other. My chest muscles locked up/tensed so hard that I was sore the next day.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
In dry climates, I run a 6' piece of 5/8" rebar into the ground to the hilt.

That'll ground it.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Too much juice can be hard on horses. I knew a guy who led his horse up to a water tank when the ground was wet. The horse touched a nearby fence and died in it's tracks.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

That'll ground it.

We run three ground rods as well as tying the ground into our barb wire...which is touching every metal post along the fence. Ground is fairly wet much of the year as well.

Never thought about it killing a horse.... We keep horses separate from goats but occasionally they are in areas were they could touch it.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by SBTCO

The "light" went through your CNS, grounding out via your feet, and that ain't a good thing.
I wouldn't make a habit of using your head in that manner.
Very different from touching with a hand or other bodily extremity.

I missed the portion of it contacting his head.

Yeah. Don't do that. Don't ever do that.

Clark

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I found this guy last week. I think he saw the light....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Look on the bright side, JR. The next woman takes you on is gonna light up like a pinball machine and pay off in silver dollars!

I'm better when I move.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Bullets designed to tumble and fences killing horses.

Fun day on the 'fire.

Clark

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

That'll ground it.

We buy those 8 foot ground rods from the power company and still have to dump water on them to get them to ground.

I am MAGA.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

363 members (1eyedmule, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 34 invisible), 1,891 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,633
Posts18,493,117
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.