-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
When I was service writing I only once refused to return a truck to a driver unless it was fixed.

He was a very large man and would use the steering wheel as a hand hold to get in the Freightliner. Well, eventually the steering shaft broke. You'd spin the wheel and it might catch and turn the front tires, it might not and it wobbled on the pedestal the whole time.

The vehicle was NOT DOT compliant and it was a damned death trap for him and whomever else was on the road. The problem was (IIRC) that Freightliner wanted something like 1400 for a replacement column and I refused to simply weld his back together (again, liability).

Eventually we cut him a great deal on labor and installed a good used one from a wrecker for 900 but still - I wasn't letting him get in that truck with a steering wheel that only turned the front wheels 20% of the time.

Me

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
It's a shame that when someone as shady as a car dealer tries to ffffffffuck you, your only hope is a........LAWYER.......??????

It's not, it's just the one option that most likely keeps you from going to jail. 😉

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
It probably isn't the dealer but Nissan.
They want the effected cars off the road and fixed. If they knowingly let that car off their lot and the driver got into a accident and the bag didn't deploy and the driver and passenger died they would be in big trouble.
The recall is government enforced. If they do not have the parts to fix it they have to give the owner a loaner but that vehicle can not be on the road.
Do you really want to drive a vehicle where the air bags may not go off when needed? I would drop it off and not want to drive it until it was fixed.

Driving without airbags scares me none.

Me

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by teal
They want the effected cars off the road and fixed. If they knowingly let that car off their lot and the driver got into a accident and the bag didn't deploy and the driver and passenger died they would be in big trouble.
The recall is government enforced. If they do not have the parts to fix it they have to give the owner a loaner but that vehicle can not be on the road.
Do you really want to drive a vehicle where the air bags may not go off when needed? I would drop it off and not want to drive it until it was fixed.

When I was a kid, cars didn't even have seatbelts..............and look, I'm still here........what are the odds???

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

When I was a kid, cars didn't even have seatbelts..............and look, I'm still here........what are the odds???

Been known to do more than a couple miles in the bed of a pick up - no seat, much less a seat belt.

Worse thing I see is people driving around with their dog on their lap between their face and the steering wheel. When that airbag goes off at 300mph - what do you think happens to the dog when it hits your face? Your face isn't likely to make it either....

Me

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
A lot of people should live in an airbag to protect them from the consequences of their actions, the rest of us will survive without airbags. They're a nice addition but not integral to the operation. We used to stuff the youngest into the back window so we had more room and I spent weeks every summer traveling the USA with my grandparents and I road in the back of a pickup with canopy and made my pillow fort to pass the thousands of miles.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

What about letting your wife and kids drive it?

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Hell, they bombed Pearl Harbor, killed POWs, raped 1000s of women and the OP is surprised they screwed him ?

Deal with Japs and that's what you get.

I've had 2 airbags replaced by MOPAR and they never took the car until they had the bag.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would be all over them showing them what is unsafe, a man without his truck. And then get a lawyer if I could not swipe my truck back with the spare key.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
..................... I road in the back of a pickup with canopy and made my pillow fort to pass the thousands of miles.

I hear ya.

Nowadays the law would consider us in the category of human trafficking victims....lol

Kids need to travel in a child seat, in an a/c equipped vehicle, with internet access, and all the gizmos........and easy-open go-gurt to snack on.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I'd never ask them to do what I wouldn't myself. My son's an excellent driver, probably too cautious. My ex, well, chances are I'm in the other car....

The odds of dying in a car accident here are 1 in 10,576 as of 2013. By comparison, you're more likely to be injured by a toilet than die in a car accident yet no air bag/protective wrap on the crapper.

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Coyotejunki
Wednesday my brother calls the Nissan dealership here in St. Louis about his vehicle and the airbag recall. They tell him to bring it in and he can WAIT in the waiting room while they fix it, or drop it off and pick it up the NEXT day. He decides to drop it off. After he signs the paperwork and gives them the keys, they inform him that they don't have both airbags and he will have to wait until they come in. They tell him that previous customers have been waiting over 3 months so far and they hope to have the parts in by Sept next year. He says give me back my keys, I will bring it back later. They tell him, they can not do that because they know the vehicle is unsafe with the airbag recall condition and liability stops them from giving the vehicle back in this unsafe condition. They refuse to give him a loaner for free also.

They knew they didn't have the parts, and the time frame for repairs, yet they lied to him, now he is without his vehicle.

I'd get super-active on the dealership's social media page - there will be resolution.
A couple of year's back, my wife had a fuel tank leak on her Lincoln. Due to a recall on the tank and the numerous tanks being replaced, it was going to take up to 3 months for replacement. They not only gave her a loaner, they gave her a NEW Lincoln to drive until the tank could be replaced on her car.

Your brother's Nissan dealership is in need of an enema.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I'd never ask them to do what I wouldn't myself. My son's an excellent driver, probably too cautious. My ex, well, chances are I'm in the other car....

The odds of dying in a car accident here are 1 in 10,576 as of 2013. By comparison, you're more likely to be injured by a toilet than die in a car accident yet no air bag/protective wrap on the crapper.

Don't give Liberals any ideas .

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Actually, last year at this time I smoked a good buck with the Impala at 65 mph. Hit so hard the hood came up and smashed my windshield. Bent the hinges right back.

Air bags never went off.

I commute 60 miles each day for work. Seen a TON of accidents. Vehicle vs tractor, critter, vehicle, tree etc. Can probably count on one hand the number of times I've seen an air bag deployment.

Just saying - diving around for a few weeks without an airbag or knowing mine would deploy for sure - wouldn't scare me because I also know, odds are - I'm 5 TIMES more likely to write a best selling novel or date a millionaire than have a fatal accident.

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by Coyotejunki
Wednesday my brother calls the Nissan dealership here in St. Louis about his vehicle and the airbag recall. They tell him to bring it in and he can WAIT in the waiting room while they fix it, or drop it off and pick it up the NEXT day. He decides to drop it off. After he signs the paperwork and gives them the keys, they inform him that they don't have both airbags and he will have to wait until they come in. They tell him that previous customers have been waiting over 3 months so far and they hope to have the parts in by Sept next year. He says give me back my keys, I will bring it back later. They tell him, they can not do that because they know the vehicle is unsafe with the airbag recall condition and liability stops them from giving the vehicle back in this unsafe condition. They refuse to give him a loaner for free also.

They knew they didn't have the parts, and the time frame for repairs, yet they lied to him, now he is without his vehicle.

I'd get super-active on the dealership's social media page - there will be resolution.
A couple of year's back, my wife had a fuel tank leak on her Lincoln. Due to a recall on the tank and the numerous tanks being replaced, it was going to take up to 3 months for replacement. They not only gave her a loaner, they gave her a NEW Lincoln to drive until the tank could be replaced on her car.

Your brother's Nissan dealership is in need of an enema.

Dorsch?

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep.

WWP53D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
They seem pretty decent. IIRC my father's bought 3 trucks from them. I bought that Impala above mentioned from them. Not necessarily bad guys at all. I worked for Van Boxtel in HS. Lot monkey.

Dorsch had a Roush stage 3 stang in there last time I stopped by. Asked the salesman how often tire kickers asked for a "test ride". Said they simply required 10k cash deposit, get it back when you get back. No rides after that smile

Me

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

I would expect the dealer, and/or Nissan, to accept responsibility. That situation would really piss me off. An equivalent loaner would be my expectation.

Donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Dorsch had a Roush stage 3 stang in there last time I stopped by. Asked the salesman how often tire kickers asked for a "test ride". Said they simply required 10k cash deposit, get it back when you get back. No rides after that smile

That's a creative way to say "no". grin

WWP53D
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

What did we do before air bags? I drove all over and even had a few wrecks...I am still here.

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

114 members (6mmbrfan, 3333vl, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 673, 17 invisible), 1,881 guests, and 1,107 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,894
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.