Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by wyoming260
Does anyone else find , no matter the info. available in the article, that Boddington comes across a bit Smug. Even for for a Marine...........

You should have read his stuff back in the 90's. He's lightened up a lot since then...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I own both, have killed deer with both, and I wouldn't turn around for the difference between the two. Actually, I'm probably going to sell the 7-08 and keep the 7X57. Just for the record, Boddington has never impressed me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great looking 95 Chilean.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have talked to Boddington numerous times at SCI. I even tried to set up a Cape Buffalo hunt in Zimbabwe through him. Didn't happen.

One of the African PHs that I have hunted with was not very impressed with him or his people.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Seems like a bit of Boddington envy going on here. I haven't met him although living in the same town we cross paths occasionally. FWIW a good friend of mine who has a guiding service here has hunted with Craig several times and says he is one of the good guys. I generally like his writing style but your opinion may differ from mine and that's OK with me and I hope it's OK with you.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't have any problem with Boddington, but I rarely read his articles as they are usually like the one mentioned in this thread: formulaic and without much in the way of news. Even his project reviews boil down to "I liked this product", or "I didn't like this product" without much in the way of technical information or insight.

I am a fan of both the 7x57 and the 7mm-08, and I am presently struggling with buying a new rifle chambered for one or the other. My choice will be made on the basis of the rifle itself and not the merits of either cartridge, as I already know that I will end up being happy with either one.

Last edited by mudhen; 09/25/17.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've got both and think really highly of both. The 7mm-08 leaves me slightly cold compared to the Mauser.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
what does CB say about the two that he didn't say in 2011?

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/rifles/featured_rifles_3_top_non-magnum_7mms_051711/

Oddest thing I ever saw Col.CB publish , was his personal expressed support of stolen valor
by his friend and business partner Geof Miller.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've always liked Boddington. Read a lot of his adventures when I was a kid dreaming about hunting far off places. The only gripe I have is that he belonged to the "elk are bullet proof" crowd for a good while. I never liked it when he bashed my 270 Win as inadequate. But that's not uncommon for gunwriters who don't live in elk country I guess. He came around eventually.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I remember some time ago Boddington wrote an article about the .270 Win and elk....after finally going on an elk hunt with a .270 to the NRA range (or something like that) in New Mexico to see for himself. He was pretty impressed...and basically apologized for bashing it as an elk round for so long. I don't know if he's ever been on a non guided hunt, but I do find myself being a bit envious of him and the hunts he has been on over the years. Everyone I know that has met him says he's the nicest guy around. I think pretty highly of him, myself; other than him pushing some pretty hard kicking rifles.

As for this 7-08 vs 7x57 article, I suspect it was written for newbies and/or the inexperienced. He's been around long enough to know writing something like that isn't for seasoned hunters, and I am sure the editors asked for something like this.

IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I remember some time ago Boddington wrote an article about the .270 Win and elk....after finally going on an elk hunt with a .270 to the NRA range (or something like that) in New Mexico to see for himself. He was pretty impressed...and basically apologized for bashing it as an elk round for so long. I don't know if he's ever been on a non guided hunt, but I do find myself being a bit envious of him and the hunts he has been on over the years. Everyone I know that has met him says he's the nicest guy around. I think pretty highly of him, myself; other than him pushing some pretty hard kicking rifles.

As for this 7-08 vs 7x57 article, I suspect it was written for newbies and/or the inexperienced. He's been around long enough to know writing something like that isn't for seasoned hunters, and I am sure the editors asked for something like this.

T you mfer you have been missing! well I would not say missing anything, but you must've been killing where are the pictures???

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E

He hunted on the NRA Whittington Center near Raton ,NM.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Any author that writes an article titled: "Why I hate the .308".... but waxes eloquent on the virtues of the '06 for 20+ years..... is just plain stupid as far as I'm concerned.

I've never liked the guy's writing.... or his daughter's TV show.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Craig is a gentleman of the old school, with vast hunting experience. Had dinner with him once in Joberg and was sorry to see the evening end.

The 7x57 would seem to be a better choice for the handloader who prefers heavier bullets. I'm following some of Mule Deer's 7x57 recipes with H4350 and Enduron 4451 in a 2014 BACO Model 70 and 2700 fps seems attainable with 160 grain Woodleighs and good accuracy.

With lighter bullets, it appears to be an even draw.

IMO, the best 7x57 factory load for Africa is the Norma 156 grain bonded Oryx.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I still laugh at an article he wrote many years ago about which is better whitetail cartridge, .270 or .30-06? He wrote a lot about both cartridges. His final answer.... .280 Remington. Which not much, if anything was written about in the article. crazy

I generally do enjoy his writings and make a point to read them.

Camp is where you make it.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Dogshooter,
Do you like Mule Deer? Do you think he is stupid?

Last edited by RinB; 09/26/17.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by RinB
Dogshooter,
Do you like Mule Deer? Do you think he is stupid?

Yes....

I think we're all stupid.... except 'flave....

Anyone who could love the '06 and "hate" the .308... qualifies.

Anyone who writes an article about it.... is a special kind of qualifier.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Furthermore.....

I believe it was our very own, aforementioned Mule Deer, who once said something to the nature of:

Gun writers often get cornered into a stance on something, either via their own writing, or by defense against the contradictory stance of another scribe..... visa vis; JOC on the .270.... or the whole JOC vs. Keith deal.... or Boddington's .270 on elk BS.... etc.

I think that's stupid.... (not the MD quote... the concept of painting oneself into a corner)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fredIII

T you mfer you have been missing! well I would not say missing anything, but you must've been killing where are the pictures???

Been whacking sage cocks, plus a caribou in the Talkeetnas and some halibut in Seward. A good time it was. No deer for me last weekend: only small ones were seen.

Pictures are too big of a PIA for my retarded ass to post very often, though I do have a few:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

My nephew's doe 'lope from Idaho a few weeks ago:
[Linked Image]

Ketchikan back in August
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Wyoming Golden trout
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Other Wyoming trout
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Montana pike
[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

496 members (1OntarioJim, 1lesfox, 007FJ, 160user, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 46 invisible), 2,320 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,377
Posts18,488,498
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.