Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Z
Zengela Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Z
My ma is getting old(70) she has a Ruger SP101 357 magnum. Can't handle magnum or +p38. Whats the best standard 38 for a snubby gun?I'm thinkinking 110gr Win Silver tips? Her hands are weak.

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Without a doubt, you should look into the 150 grain, hard cast lead, full wadcutter load offered by Buffalo Bore.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
BB also offers a soft lead, SWC HP, standard pressure load that's excellent.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Buffalo Bore wadcutters are the way to go.

The foundation for old age is good memories.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
BB also offers a soft lead, SWC HP, standard pressure load that's excellent.

This would be my pick also.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
my wife carries standard 148 grain Winchester Wad Cutters in her Model 10. She is a sure shot, and she carry's the revolver.

Sam......

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
my wife carries standard 148 grain Winchester Wad Cutters in her Model 10. She is a sure shot, and she carry's the revolver.

Done........... right there!

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

Maybe after she tries the standard SWCHP load. A side by side test by her would be advised. I think we are down to two good picks for her.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

If these are target wadcutters, you are likely not going to get adequate penetration to reliably reach vitals. I'd have her switch to the BB, hard cast lead, full wadcutter load for carry. Its hardness and slightly increased oomph make it a better penetrator/stopper, and she likely won't mind the slightly increased recoil.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Years ago before all the new technology bullets hit the market,a hollow based 148 gr wadcutter, loaded backwards with Bullseye pushing it was considered a prime defense load and many carried them for such. True that there are many bullets on the market that MAY be better, but that load is sure as heck not going to bounce off anyone for lack of penetration. Encountering a hopped up druggy high on meth,even a full load in a .357 has been known to not put them down fast .

Another load would be a 125 gr jacketed hollow point.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Years ago before all the new technology bullets hit the market,a hollow based 148 gr wadcutter, loaded backwards with Bullseye pushing it was considered a prime defense load and many carried them for such. True that there are many bullets on the market that MAY be better, but that load is sure as heck not going to bounce off anyone for lack of penetration. Encountering a hopped up druggy high on meth,even a full load in a .357 has been known to not put them down fast .

Another load would be a 125 gr jacketed hollow point.

Yeah, I'm familiar with the old standby of a backward target wadcutter. Also, many used to recommend standard target wadcutters for recoil sensitive women. There are many much better options today, though.

I also recall some actual studies of the effectiveness of a backwards target wadcutter, and it wasn't impressive. Rarely was there even much deformity, let alone expansion.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Chicago, New York , FBI and others spent a lot of time and money on this same issue. For 2" to 4" barrels. They came up with the 158gr. Soft Lead SWCHP as the best. They tested everything. They did go to the +P version later. But in this case the standard pressure load would work the best. It still may not expand, but it still is a good option with the restraints mentioned by the OP. I did a lot of research on this subject for my mother. She did well with her S&W Model 10-5 4" pencil barrel using these loads.

PS: Muzzle blast (especially in low light conditions) affect older people more. Their rods and cones do not work well. Follow up shots are important in this power range. The best advise is to let her practice as much as she can.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Id go hardcast without a doubt. Wouldn't care much about expansion, I'd be far more concerned with penetration.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=111

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My folks have a couple K-frame S&W's with Buffalo Bore standard velocity full wadcutters in the cylinder and the same companies 158 gr. soft standard velocity SWC-HP in speed strips for the reload.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Id go hardcast without a doubt. Wouldn't care much about expansion, I'd be far more concerned with penetration.

Yeah, that's the stuff.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Yeah, that's the stuff.

That will work too. Not well with a speed loader, but I doubt she will go the speed loader route. But you never know.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Zengela
My ma is getting old(70) she has a Ruger SP101 357 magnum. Can't handle magnum or +p38. Whats the best standard 38 for a snubby gun?I'm thinkinking 110gr Win Silver tips? Her hands are weak.

First off, 70 is not "old."

Second, the kind of azzhole who would behave in a threatening manner to your mother would probably find something else to do if she started lighting him up with any kind of .38 special load.

Mathew 22: 37-39

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Expansion was actually pretty good with the reversed target wadcutters in this test, but is negatively correlated with penetration to the point of concern.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
OP stated no + P. Still even if it was only half that penetration it , it would put a severe hurt on an attacker. Personally I don't see a problem with 8-12" penetration. Probably not good for a gut shot, but would enter the lungs and heart area.

A lot of these discussions have occured in the past here. What it boils down to is that the person carrying should only use what they can effectively handle. I don't consider a 38 SP or 22 rf a good defense round, but if that is all the OP's mother can handle, it will have to do

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Expansion was actually pretty good with the reversed target wadcutters in this test, but is negatively correlated with penetration to the point of concern.

That's an example of penetration hindered to the point of concern? Slow them down a hair for pressure reduction to std 38's, and they have a reputation for working pretty well out of a hide-out rig for many decades. I see no problem here.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (16penny, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 1234, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,178 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,820
Posts18,496,507
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.