Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
If one assumes that temperature stability is related to cartridge size (charge weight) which powder(s) show the best range of stability from moderate temps (50-70) down to below freezing in the 338WM? Curious...

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
For the 210 grain bullets use;
IMR 4451 OR 4955

For the 225 grain bullets use:
IMR 4451 or 4955

For the 250 grain bullets use
IMR 4451 or 4955 or 7977

All are temp insensitive.

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I've used Hodgdon Extreme Powders since I had an odd situation come up one year with R19/185 XLC load. I've tested R15 in my old 35 WAI and it is excellent "in that case size", if that means anything. I like to hunt late season ( late Dec-early Feb) cow elk and sometimes it can get pretty cold...others, not too bad. Just wondering about some of the older powders?

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Has anyone ever had an issue with R19 in the 338WM in really cold temps, say sub freezing, losing speed?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I don't recall the cartridge, but on this very site I've seen some discussions about RL19 being one of the more sensitive powders.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes. I have seen variations at low and high temps with 19 and 17...I don't remember exactly how much variation but it was enough for me to change to H4350. With temps over 70 I saw some pressure signs with loads at the top end.

If you are going to be dumb - you've got to be tuff.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you'll do a 'search' in the Reloading board you should find some old posts of mine on this subject. I chrono'd several powders in summer temperatures in California then ran them over the same chronograph in Wyoming and Montana in sub freezing temps. The powders with which I stayed were H4350, H4831 and N160. My favorite powders were RL22 and some RL19 but the difference in velocity was over 300 fps. In fact they shot pretty much the same groups even at the lower velocities and I took elk in each case but don't recall distance but for one that dropped at about 150 yards.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks guys, I'm still researching some things out. My situation was a compressed load ( which turned into a solid cake) in addition to the cold temps. Loss of a bit over 200fps and groups opened to +-5". 10 days before the hunt put me into a tizzie, ha. I just went straight to H4350, worked up a load and went and killed my elk. But I've only used R19 again in '06 size cases, for example in two 240 Weatherbys. Its great in that case, at least it is to my observations.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
[Linked Image]

This little fella took a 210 Partition over a bunch of RL19 right at 400 yards. Not saying it isn’t a problem but developing the load in 50 degree’ish temps and sacking the bull in 20’ish temps didn’t seem to matter much. My 338 has been pretty great with RL19 over the years and upon chrono work back home at nearly the same temps lost about 50 FPS, but that was back before the Magnetospeed as well.

I know temp sensitive matters at extreme range but for me, so far I haven’t had a problem.

Semper Fi
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by beretzs
[Linked Image]

This little fella took a 210 Partition over a bunch of RL19 right at 400 yards. Not saying it isn’t a problem but developing the load in 50 degree’ish temps and sacking the bull in 20’ish temps didn’t seem to matter much. My 338 has been pretty great with RL19 over the years and upon chrono work back home at nearly the same temps lost about 50 FPS, but that was back before the Magnetospeed as well.

I know temp sensitive matters at extreme range but for me, so far I haven’t had a problem.

Sometimes it isn't additional drop due to lower velocity that's the problem. Instead it's a largish POI shift in a direction other than vertical.

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
beretz,

50's to 20's usually doesn't result in more than 25 fps difference with any modern powder. In fact, usually 70's to 20's doesn't.

The critical temperature is around zero and below. This still MAY not make any difference at 400 yards, even if the velocity loss is 100+ fps, as long as the POI remains the same at 100 yards, as mathman pointed out.

Have tested many loads at 70 and zero. Usually there's no difference in 100-yard POI, even if the muzzle velocity's a lot slower at zero--but sometimes there is. I've seen as much as a 3" shift at 100, and it can be in any direction. That's unusual, but 2" is common with powders that lose considerable velocity in cold.

A lot depends on the rifle. Slimmer barrels usually show more POI shift, just as they do when working up loads, though sometimes they don't. But you never know unless you test 'em.

One thing I can say is that in 25 years of doing 70/zero tests with the same rifle and load, I've yet to see a significant difference in 100-yard POI with any load that varies 30 fps or less at those temperatures. And I've yet to chronograph any loads using Hodgdon Extremes that varied that much, regardless of the cartridge and bullet weight.

Many powders will do pretty well in certain cartridge/bullet combinations, but not other combinations. But again, you never know until you test 'em.

There's an article coming up on this in HANDLOADER that contains far more details, including a bunch of chronograph results for cartridges from the .17 Hornet to .375 H&H.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'd try H4350 for starters. Generally I work up loads for my 338wm when it's cold, so the powder I use isn't as critical because that's when I hunt with the 338. I've had good luck with IMR 4350 as well, but I get a wider velocity swing with that powder vs. H4350. I've tried RL19 back in the 90's as well, but always fell back on 4350 of some sort in the 338...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I'm using r19 exclusively and shoot in temps between -20 or -30 to 75-80f. Not exaggerating...i shoot year round. I also use non-magnum primers as I find them more accurate. No issues here with grouping...though I don't chronograph each string.

My workup was in 60ish temps but I've not had pressure issues in hot weather nor ignition or group shifting in the bitter cold.

Keep in mind gents im talking punching paper at 100m

Last edited by MidBore338; 09/28/17.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MidBore338
I'm using r19 exclusively and shoot in temps between -20 or -30 to 75-80f. Not exaggerating...i shoot year round. I also use non-magnum primers as I find them more accurate. No issues here with grouping...though I don't chronograph each string.

My workup was in 60ish temps but I've not had pressure issues in hot weather nor ignition or group shifting in the bitter cold.

Keep in mind gents im talking punching paper at 100m

EXACTLY my results as well. When I shifted from 215s to 210s, groups shrank considerably.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks guys, I played some with R26 and R33 in my last 7mm Rem Mag. Anyone tested R26 in real cold and/or R17? I am particularly interested in how they do in the 7x57 and the 338WM. If they aren't pretty stable, I'll skip over them in load workup and stick with Extreme powders.....old dogs/new tricks kinda thing, ha.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm using H 4831 SC with the 250gr Accubond with my 338 Win Mag. I found it to be the most accurate in my rifle. Also in my part of B.C one week it can be 10 above next week -10. So the extreme powder actually makes some sense.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
beretz,

50's to 20's usually doesn't result in more than 25 fps difference with any modern powder. In fact, usually 70's to 20's doesn't.

The critical temperature is around zero and below. This still MAY not make any difference at 400 yards, even if the velocity loss is 100+ fps, as long as the POI remains the same at 100 yards, as mathman pointed out.

Have tested many loads at 70 and zero. Usually there's no difference in 100-yard POI, even if the muzzle velocity's a lot slower at zero--but sometimes there is. I've seen as much as a 3" shift at 100, and it can be in any direction. That's unusual, but 2" is common with powders that lose considerable velocity in cold.

A lot depends on the rifle. Slimmer barrels usually show more POI shift, just as they do when working up loads, though sometimes they don't. But you never know unless you test 'em.

One thing I can say is that in 25 years of doing 70/zero tests with the same rifle and load, I've yet to see a significant difference in 100-yard POI with any load that varies 30 fps or less at those temperatures. And I've yet to chronograph any loads using Hodgdon Extremes that varied that much, regardless of the cartridge and bullet weight.

Many powders will do pretty well in certain cartridge/bullet combinations, but not other combinations. But again, you never know until you test 'em.

There's an article coming up on this in HANDLOADER that contains far more details, including a bunch of chronograph results for cartridges from the .17 Hornet to .375 H&H.

Testing @ 70 down to zero or below, do you think the POI shift is more often temp sensitivity of the powder or something being wonky with the rifle? Just wondering what your opinion is regarding POI shift, is it more often the rifle itself or the arm?

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
It's not something "wonky" with the rifle, but it is a combination of both velocity loss and the rifle.

Anybody who's worked up handloads should have observed that various powder charges, even with the same powder and bullet, do not always shoot to the same point of impact at 100 yards. This tendency is greater in lighter-contour barrels, especially when free-floated, but can occur even in heavy barrels, though the differences in POI won't be as large. This is because different powder charges change the vibrations of the barrel slightly--which is also why we try different powder charges, to find the charge that results in the smallest groups.

What I've noticed over the past 25 years of testing the same handloads at 70 and then again at zero is that rifles which show a noticeable (say an inch or more) POI shift at zero degrees are normally the same rifles that show larger differences in POI when trying handloads with different powder charges. In other words, if when trying various 165-grain loads with your .30-06, ammo with powder charges of 55, 56 and 57 grains of IMR4350 land in noticeably different places on the target, then that rifle is also likely to shoot the SAME load of IMR4350 to different places at 70 and zero degrees. While IMR4350 isn't as temperature-sensitive as some other powders, it does tend to lose velocity from 70 to zero degrees.

Exactly how much depends on the specific cartridge and load, but I've seen IMR4350 lose anything up to 75 fps from 70 to zero. This may not seem like much, but in that instance POI at 100 yards changed two inches--and upward. Loss of velocity does NOT always mean a lower POI at 100 yards, any more than higher velocity always causes a rise in POI when working up handloads. It all depends on barrel vibrations. (Have also seen IMR4350 lose only 35 fps from 70 to zero, in a different cartridge, with no change in 100-yard POI. As I've noted before, much depends on the specific load and rifle.)

Other odd things can happen. One of the very first cold-temperature tests I made was with a very accurate .270 Winchester, using both the original military-surplus H4831, and Reloder 22, then a relatively new powder. Like many .270's, this one tended to put 130 and 150-grain loads into the same place at 100 yards, and the most accurate 130-grain load used H4831, and the most accurate 150-grain RL-22. But something weird happened while hunting in very cold weather with the 150-grain load, so afterward I tested it on a cold morning, also trying the 130-grain load as long as I was out there.

Both loads lost well over 100 fps, the H4831 load 151 fps and the RL-22 load 129 fps. (Remember, this was the original WWII era H4831, not today's Extreme H4831, a totally different powder.) The RL-22/150 load shifted its POI 3 inches to the right, the reason for the weird result while out hunting. (I probably don't need to remind anybody of this, but a 3-inch change in POI at 100 results in a 6-inch change at 200 and 9-inch change at 300--NOT 3 inches at all ranges.) The 130/H4831 load did NOT change POI, but went from 3-shot accuracy under 3/4" at 70 degrees to nearly 2-inch groups at zero.

As I noted earlier in this thread, there's a long article on this subject about to appear in HANDLOADER. No doubt many people won't read it, because they don't want to pay money for information when there's so much free information on the Internet, especially from notable Campfire members like Savage 99, but also because their attentions spans are too short.

But perhaps the two major points in the article are that I've yet to see any noticeable change in POI at 100 yards with powders that don't vary more than 30 fps in velocity from 70 to zero, and that with powders that aren't temp-resistant, you never know until you test 'em at widely different temperatures. More often than not there isn't any difference in 100-yard POI, but when there is it can be significant.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Today I sent some 225 Nosler Accubonds down a Ruger 77 at 2,950 burning 75.0 of RL23.

No signs of pressure

Win brass
CCI Mag primer

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
It's not something "wonky" with the rifle, but it is a combination of both velocity loss and the rifle.

Anybody who's worked up handloads should have observed that various powder charges, even with the same powder and bullet, do not always shoot to the same point of impact at 100 yards. This tendency is greater in lighter-contour barrels, especially when free-floated, but can occur even in heavy barrels, though the differences in POI won't be as large. This is because different powder charges change the vibrations of the barrel slightly--which is also why we try different powder charges, to find the charge that results in the smallest groups.

What I've noticed over the past 25 years of testing the same handloads at 70 and then again at zero is that rifles which show a noticeable (say an inch or more) POI shift at zero degrees are normally the same rifles that show larger differences in POI when trying handloads with different powder charges. In other words, if when trying various 165-grain loads with your .30-06, ammo with powder charges of 55, 56 and 57 grains of IMR4350 land in noticeably different places on the target, then that rifle is also likely to shoot the SAME load of IMR4350 to different places at 70 and zero degrees. While IMR4350 isn't as temperature-sensitive as some other powders, it does tend to lose velocity from 70 to zero degrees.

Exactly how much depends on the specific cartridge and load, but I've seen IMR4350 lose anything up to 75 fps from 70 to zero. This may not seem like much, but in that instance POI at 100 yards changed two inches--and upward. Loss of velocity does NOT always mean a lower POI at 100 yards, any more than higher velocity always causes a rise in POI when working up handloads. It all depends on barrel vibrations. (Have also seen IMR4350 lose only 35 fps from 70 to zero, in a different cartridge, with no change in 100-yard POI. As I've noted before, much depends on the specific load and rifle.)

Other odd things can happen. One of the very first cold-temperature tests I made was with a very accurate .270 Winchester, using both the original military-surplus H4831, and Reloder 22, then a relatively new powder. Like many .270's, this one tended to put 130 and 150-grain loads into the same place at 100 yards, and the most accurate 130-grain load used H4831, and the most accurate 150-grain RL-22. But something weird happened while hunting in very cold weather with the 150-grain load, so afterward I tested it on a cold morning, also trying the 130-grain load as long as I was out there.

Both loads lost well over 100 fps, the H4831 load 151 fps and the RL-22 load 129 fps. (Remember, this was the original WWII era H4831, not today's Extreme H4831, a totally different powder.) The RL-22/150 load shifted its POI 3 inches to the right, the reason for the weird result while out hunting. (I probably don't need to remind anybody of this, but a 3-inch change in POI at 100 results in a 6-inch change at 200 and 9-inch change at 300--NOT 3 inches at all ranges.) The 130/H4831 load did NOT change POI, but went from 3-shot accuracy under 3/4" at 70 degrees to nearly 2-inch groups at zero.

As I noted earlier in this thread, there's a long article on this subject about to appear in HANDLOADER. No doubt many people won't read it, because they don't want to pay money for information when there's so much free information on the Internet, especially from notable Campfire members like Savage 99, but also because their attentions spans are too short.

But perhaps the two major points in the article are that I've yet to see any noticeable change in POI at 100 yards with powders that don't vary more than 30 fps in velocity from 70 to zero, and that with powders that aren't temp-resistant, you never know until you test 'em at widely different temperatures. More often than not there isn't any difference in 100-yard POI, but when there is it can be significant.

Awesome post John. I've seen a lot of the same velocity loss while using IMR 4350 powder and the 30-06 with 165's. The rest of your post also reflects the same things I've seen over the years.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (257Bob, 257_X_50, 160user, 163bc, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 53 invisible), 2,425 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,786
Posts18,477,223
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.