Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I posted this on a different forum but I'd like to hear what y'all have to say

Like me, my 4yr old daughter is cross dominate (right handed/left eyed). I'm doing do my best to teach her to shoot left eyed/left handed, something I never really learned to do well. Although I'm left eye dominate I shoot right handed/right eyed

On the other hand, my son, who's 2, has not shown a preference to eye dominance no matter how I try to bait him into it. Is he too young to determine? He's 100% right handed. Is he going to be able to shoot right handed too or should I stop trying to figure it out til he's older?

Last edited by Bulls_Bucks_Boars; 09/28/17.

"When the last deer disappears into the morning mist, When the last elk vanishes from the hills, When the last buffalo falls on the plains, I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom." Chief Joseph
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Might get a hint by having him use some items like a spotting scope or camera view finder. Those typically go to the dominant eye.

I commend you for thinking of this. Lots of kids are started with no thought given to the issue.

Last edited by 1minute; 09/28/17.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Once they are old enough to figure out eye dominance, follow it and teach them to shoot that way. It'll work great when you start them young.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
that is not a hard and fast rule

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Eye dominance can change, even at 7-8yrs old

Now with even more aplomb
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
When my son was quite young he would shoulder a rifle (scoped 22) right handed but would lean across to look through his left eye which turned out to be his dominant side. Learned to shoot lefty very well.

Maybe your son would react similarly.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JPro
Eye dominance can change, even at 7-8yrs old

For a little while, until she decided on a dominate eye, I smeared a little cooking oil on the left
lens of my daughters shooting glasses. It forces the other eye to dominate. That is similar to
how they used to treat lazy eye,

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I am left handed, right eye dominant. When shouldering the rifle, it just felt natural on the left side. Right side just didn't feel right. Started shooting with the right eye closed to force the left eye to get stronger. No problems now. Wish someone would have noticed way be when while shooting bb guns...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For us, my family of four is all righthanded and left eye dominant. What are the odds? I switched to shooting lefthanded after 30 plus years of shooting righthanded. Its been rough at times. My wife, son and daughter all just learned to shoot lefthanded after learning eye dominance. Their now quite capable with shotgun and rifle on the left side.

In the end its all whatever works for each individual. I do wish my dad had gotten me started on the left side for shooting though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rangefinders and paper towel tubes or the like are the best ways I've found to figure out eye dominance in kids. Have them look at you through them using each hand separately, then both hands. If it goes to the same eye you have your answer.

These pics were taken in the ground blind last weekend during the youth hunt. He does everything right handed, but is left eyed dominant (like his brother).
[Linked Image]DSCN2173 by Tyler Staggs, on Flickr
[Linked Image]DSCN2171 by Tyler Staggs, on Flickr

As such, I'm teaching him to shoot lefthanded. He does okay... laugh
Groundhog at 90yds with a red dot scope on a 357 Mag single shot.
[Linked Image]Untitled by Tyler Staggs, on Flickr

Little later, his first deer at 40yds. His brother shot his, also lefthanded, at 85yds with a LH RAR in 243.
[Linked Image]DSCN2203 by Tyler Staggs, on Flickr

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've always had my kids sit at the kitchen bar and place their chins on the counter. I put a roll of paper towels on a book, about 12-18" in front of their face and asked them to move the roll to "sight in" on a fridge magnet across the kitchen (both eyes open). Then, holding that position with the target in the center of the roll, I'd put a spoon over each eye, revealing which eye was responsible for the view. I'd let them rest a few minutes and try again. Pretty simple really. My 12 year old is left-handed and right eyed, so she shoots as a righty. My wife is left/left. My 8 year old is still in question, although she's left handed. Her eye dominance has changed several times in the last few years.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I've tried the toilet paper roll trick in each hand and he usually just sticks it right in the middle between his eyes lol

Jpro I'll try that spoon trick and see how he does, thanks!

I like the idea of smearing cooking oil on one lense of the shooting glasses too!

Last edited by Bulls_Bucks_Boars; 09/29/17.

"When the last deer disappears into the morning mist, When the last elk vanishes from the hills, When the last buffalo falls on the plains, I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom." Chief Joseph
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
like the idea of smearing cooking oil on one lense of the shooting glasses too!

I strongly suggest that one have both eyes functioning even if they are simply at the range. Better range estimation, 3D vision, and an expanded view. I most certainly would not do any hunting or self defense schooling with greased up lenses.

Did some research a couple years back for an article on this in IHEIA's rag. There are methods for forcing a switch in eye dominance, but in nearly every case ones system eventually reverts to it's originally wired pattern. Do ones kid a favor and start them properly. For those started wrong, muscle memory can be switched much more easily than eye dominance. It is indeed extremely rare for parents to ever give this issue consideration. They just plop the kid down the way dad does it and keep going.

I started archery with no supervision shooting left but am right eyed. When I was about 30, an astute instructor noticed and suggested I switch. Talk about awkward! Within a week though the strength and coordination came around, and my scores stepped up markedly. Could not go back now if I tried.

Once had a young lady that was shooting right but crawling over the stock to pull it off in our HunterEd class. Great way to eat a scope or get slammed in the mouth by an action when one goes to big guns. Her reason for that approach: "My cheap bastard dad won't buy me a left handed rifle."

No reason to make it tough for a kid that really wants to get out there with you. Plenty of arms out there that can go both ways. Single shots, pumps, levers, and semi autos, and muzzle loaders. For big bucks one can even get stocks made that shoulder on one side but align with the other eye. Puts stress on ones wrist too if he has to cant that joint to line up sights with heavy kicking hand guns. I'd like to think we are well past the days of nuns slapping kids with rulers for going to the left side.

Given that we have over 300+ million people in this country, there are many that do crossover shooting with patches, a closed eye, or stock crawling. My wife is one (closed eye), and pyramids can decay or animals die of old age in the time it takes her to light off a round on big game. One will rarely find them winning in competition circles though. Cross over stuff really throws one a curve in rapid fire shot gunning.

Have a good one,

Last edited by 1minute; 09/29/17.

1Minute
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
there are various degrees of hand dominance and eye dominance, and at some point strong hand dominance trumps weak eye dominance.

i am cross dominant, right handed and left eyed. I have what I consider normal hand dominance and weak eye dominance. I can shoot well from either shoulder, but I shoot with my dominant hand and weak eye by default. if I could shoot better with my master eye, I'd be shooting lefty.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I would add not everyone shooting correctly, aiming with their dominant eye can shoot with both open.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
He is 2 years old and a developmental milestone for that age is pulling their pants up. Most at 2 are not potty trained yet. His fine motor skills are rudimentary at best, which is why you have been unsuccessful in your baiting. I bet he still misses his mouth sometimes when eating and you're worried about his eye dominance. Give him some time for his eye dominance to come around.

Last edited by battue; 10/08/17.

laissez les bons temps rouler
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Dennis81082
When my son was quite young he would shoulder a rifle (scoped 22) right handed but would lean across to look through his left eye which turned out to be his dominant side. Learned to shoot lefty very well.

Maybe your son would react similarly.

This could have been written by my father about me fifty-some years ago. Decades later I found that he was mistaken, I am right eyed dominant but taught to shoot long guns and archery left handed.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Mike_S
I would add not everyone shooting correctly, aiming with their dominant eye can shoot with both open.

Tell me more.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by ghostrider272
I am left handed, right eye dominant. When shouldering the rifle, it just felt natural on the left side. Right side just didn't feel right. Started shooting with the right eye closed to force the left eye to get stronger. No problems now. Wish someone would have noticed way be when while shooting bb guns...

You can't "force" an eye to get stronger. Eye dominance is going on all day. Did you walk around all day with the right eye closed?

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I was pretty much ambidextrous until my eyes started going bad. My move to lefthandedness pretty much followed my change into being left eye dominant. Until I finally had to get glasses for third grade, I shot off both shoulders according to the shot.

As mentioned above, there's no point in trying to sort this out until kids are a little older. Which is a good case, among others, for keeping guns ambidextrous instead of handed.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (14idaho, 907brass, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 11 invisible), 1,491 guests, and 826 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.