Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Hey everybody.

I'm thinking about a family trip to New Mexico in the next few months, and am looking for some recommendations. It's not a hunting trip - mostly backcountry hiking, probably somewhere north of Taos. Kids range from about 8-17. Any recommendations would be welcome, either for the woods, or other cool places for the family to visit.

Also, I'm especially interested in any tips or reminders on open carry there. NM doesn't have CC reciprocity with my home state, so open's it (bears and 2-legged risks). This is great, but I did want to poke around and find out if there are any special attendant regs that aren't obvious to an out-of-stater. We'd probably fly into Albuquerque and get a rental for a week or so. And I'd probably carry an SP101 on a thigh holster.

Thanks in advance!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm about as far from your target destination as one can get and still be in New Mexico, so I will leave the particulars for those living in the soon to be frozen north.

After the middle of November, North of Taos is winter. That part of the state is all high elevation and far enough north that it gets all of the winter storms that Colorado does. It's more of a destination for winter sports than for hiking and casual outdoor activities. Many Forest Service roads will be closed after the last elk hunt (usually the last week of November) and those that aren't won't be maintained again until spring.

I would be looking at the Santa Fe area. That would give you more options for both montane and lower elevation hikes, depending on the weather. Valles Caldera is usually mostly accessible until after the first of the year, and is worth a couple of days of hiking and looking at the elk herds. Bandelier National Monument is right across the road to the south, and is worth a day to hike and look at the ruins. A day trip from Santa Fe to the lava fields and Inscription Rock in the El Malpais National Monument south of Grants is worth the effort, and you might be able to squeeze in a visit to the Acoma Pueblo, as well.

I haven't checked lately, but it used to be that if you bought a general hunting license, you could carry openly.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
The Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta runs October 7-15 this year. It is spectacular, but crowded and plugs up airport, hotels and rentals in the area. Make a conscious decision to see it or avoid ABQ that week.

The Taos Gorge can offer some warmer hiking in early winter.

Caldera and Bandelier are cool. I live nearby - ask away if those get on the list.

Open carry is legal as long as you don't accidentally enter someplace with alcohol or Federal property. It might get funny looks in town in ABQ or Santa Fe (or Taos), but not in the woods.

P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Hmm. I have to say that as a Southern boy, I'd not really given a lot of thought to the notion that there'd be significant snow in New Mexico. May push me out to the Spring instead of Christmas/New Year.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"A day trip from Santa Fe to the lava fields and Inscription Rock in the El Malpais National Monument south of Grants is worth the effort, and you might be able to squeeze in a visit to the Acoma Pueblo, as well."

I've done these are they are the highlights of some of my best trips.

Watch "Four Faces West", a Joel McCrae western, which has a key scene at Inscription rock. You can watch it for free on Youtube. One of my favorites.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been known to tote a handgun around out in the open in New Mexico a time or two. Never had a problem.

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Check the exact hitches in the CC issue and make sure there is really an issue.
As much as I would like to recommend NM, I would only consider states that accept your carry permit. AZ is pretty gun friendly and has all kinds of hiking from mountain to desert just like NM.

Will be getting pretty cool up in tat area of NM also (altitude dependent).

Last edited by LouisB; 09/29/17.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I turkey where drive into New Mexico then back into Colorado. November and December it is getting cold from Taos north. New Mexico for me is a summer trip. I have not been in the southern part of New Mexico.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good info above from knowledgeable folks. If you get here by mid-October or wait until May most of the state is very doable - may be breezy early in May.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mudhen
Bandelier National Monument

+1 a lot to see there and some interesting hike especially the waterfalls, it is an amazing place. Could also visit Los Alamos, which is just down the road, much interesting history there per early nuclear program and on going research.

Originally Posted by NM ElkNut
The Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta runs October 7-15 this year. It is spectacular, but crowded and plugs up airport, hotels and rentals in the area. Make a conscious decision to see it or avoid ABQ that week.

+1 you would need reservations 2 years in advance to stay during the Fiesta.

Originally Posted by mudhen
Santa Fe area.

If you visit the Santa Fe area be sure to visit the chapel with the spiral staircase. Built with out nails by a mysterious carpenter.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If your in the Four Corners region, Mesa Verde National Park is well worth seeing. The ruins there are a sight to see.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The NRA Whittington Center is a world class shooting facility. It's located a little south of Raton off US Highway 64. Well worth the time, IMHO, even in winter.

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Messing around with calendars, it looks like we'll be aiming for the very end of March (have a family wedding in South Texas and may make it one big trip). Weather websites say the daytimes will be cool (which is actually pretty attractive to us) but usually not cold-cold.

Maybe a dumb question, but is there still likely to be snow on the ground at 7500-8500' in March?

And thanks for all the feedback.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
March can be windy an cold.
Temps will vary greatly depending on altitude that time of year.
If you are coming via S. TX, then cut north at El Paso and go by White Sands, Malipais, and north to I 40, or across to I 25 through the malapais and up the Rio Grande valley. OR you can hit I25 at El Paso and head north
If you go to Bandeleir, go via Jemez Springs and get a feel for the volcano as you drive across the caldera enroute to Bandeleir.
Yes Santa Fe has some real points of interest
Many varied things to see depending on your family's interests so recommendations have to be pretty far fetched also.

Not sure where you will be coming from, but two warnings no matter where you come from . . .
Drink plenty of water! ! ! !
Watch headaches at higher altitudes, they can ruin a persons day.
Good luck . . .
ENJOY! ! !

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pine_Tree

Maybe a dumb question, but is there still likely to be snow on the ground at 7500-8500' in March?

Unless you catch a late winter storm, most of the snow will be gone except in areas with deep shade, or on the north slopes of the mountains.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Generally true, however, the worst blizzards we've had in my short lifetime hit around March 20th.
The weather can be "unsettled" smile

In fact, we received 2 loads of cattle - in a blizzard - on April 28th, 2017.

Last edited by mark shubert; 09/29/17. Reason: addition

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

474 members (1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 47 invisible), 2,112 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,260
Posts18,504,811
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.