Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Starman
Originally Posted by jwp475
...If more light doesn't help, then why do I need more light to see at 66 than I did at 20?
The brighter the scope the better I see.

Any area of a scopes E/P over the dia. of your individual eyes pupil is superfluous.

The only way to increase or maximise the amount of useful light through the scope to your retina from that point,
is by ensuring the optical device of choice has the best possible 'light transmission efficiency'

I hear that all the time and don't buy it. I believe what my own eyes tell me. The more light my scopes bring in the better I can see.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

F
F
An exit pupil larger than the pupil of the user will indeed not increase the brightness of the image if the pupil is 100% centered.
But a larger exit pupil will increase the comfort of use as the eye does not have to be spot on in line with the optical axis. I guess this the reason why jwp475 feels that it renders an advantage.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by Fuchs
Hi Omid,
I have now looked more closely to your patent. You have described exactly what Deon Optics has realized in their March Tactical FFP scopes.
It's so simple!!! I wish the European manufacturers would adopt it and go back to FFP.

Hi Fuchs,

Yes, the concept is very simple indeed. But as you noted it is largely unknown to the manufacturers. They are all busy creating ever more complicated reticles and ever more zoon range.. The more hashes or dots or grids a reticle has, the better it sells. frown This topic is related to discussing FFP vs SFP for a dangerous game rifle. I feel that there is a lot more that you and I can discuss and explore about rifle scopes.. We might want to create a separate topic for a deeper and more general discussion.

+ + +

Regarding benefits of large exit pupil (even larger than 7mm and even for use during daylight), I agree with what Fuchs said. We are not talking about gathering light here. It is about providing a large "eye box" behind the eye piece. The eye box is the area that you can position your eye and see the full field of view. A large exit pupil (10mm or more) leads to a much larger eye box. This makes it very easy to position your eye behind the scope and, in a way, the scope becomes as "fast" as a red-dot sight. This is very good feature for fast, off-hand shots or for acquiring the target after the first shot.

Small Exit Pupil:

[Linked Image]

Large Exit Pupil:
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Omid; 09/27/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by Starman

Any area of a scopes E/P over the dia. of your individual eyes pupil is superfluous.

The only way to increase or maximise the amount of useful light through the scope to your retina from that point,
is by ensuring the optical device of choice has the best possible 'light transmission efficiency'

I hear that all the time and don't buy it. I believe what my own eyes tell me. The more light my scopes bring in the better I can see.

Your eyes are not telling you anything ,its your brain that actually tells you what you see.

The eye provides nerve signals from the retina to the optic nerve, which sends it to the brains visual cortex,
which provides you with a visual interpretation.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Sad
Campfire Tracker
W

I'm not a DG hunter but I sometimes hunt the black timber at dawn and dusk for elk, and have always favored SFP scopes to keep the reticle bold at lower power settings.
With these examples I see what you mean about new "intelligent" FFP reticles.
I find this very interesting. Thanks for posting this.

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Consider a light, simple, fixed 2.5 or 3x scope for your rifle that is to be used within 100 yards.

Regards, Guy

J
Jess Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Very interesting and enlightening comments, thank you.
Jess

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

237 members (338reddog, 16penny, 280shooter, 29aholic, 204guy, 2ndwind, 34 invisible), 2,339 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,366
Posts18,488,245
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.