Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1230914 02/04/07
Will_C Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I want to thank all of you that replied for my first post.
I found a 99 in the local gun store, and I am looking for some more advice.
The rifle is in .300 Savage. The serial number is in the 660,000 range (can't remember that exact number.) The barrel is either 22 or 24 inches long. The rifle has a steel buttplate and schnabel fore end. It has the lever safety and brass counter. The blueing is worn on the belly of the rifle, and the metal work has a few scratches, but no rust or pitting. The bore looked clean. The stock had a few scrapes and gouges. The gun is either factory drilled and tapped or correctly drilled and tapped, with no extra holes.I am not much on percentage grades, but I would rate the gun as 75% overall.
The gun has Weaver mounts and rings, with a cheapo scope. The shop is asking $450.00.
What model is this rifle, and how is the price?
Thanks,
Will

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Spend your $ on a nicer 99 than this one, Will. What you describe sounds like an EG d&t'd after it left the factory in 1952.

"...the IInd Amendment is not about duck hunting..." Suzanne Hupp
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Sounds like XCIX said it was... an "EG"... and a rough one at that. That's a bit too much to pay for a rifle that rough, but it you can get it for $400 or less... preferably $350 or less, it would make a good "hunter" that you wouldn't have to worry about scratching or nicking in the woods.

The rifle is of little interest to a "collector", but if you like the classic lines of the "EG" model and the classic .300 Savage caliber as I do... you might considering buying it (at a good price, of course) and having the metal smoothed up, given a very high polish and re-blued.

You could refinish the wood yourself (while the metal work was being done by a competent gunsmith) with Casey's Tru-Oil (a relatively easy job... I could give you detailed instructions via PM) since this particular rifle was made at a time when Savage was building the Model 99s with maximum quality and craftsmanship.

I.E., you could turn a "dog" into a very beautiful rifle of which you'd always be proud to own and use. Doing so would not make it more acceptable to a "collector", but it would undoubtedly raise it's "value" to another hunter/rifleman who could care less about collecting firearms.

I've done several "long guns" with Tru-Oil, and they all came out BEAUTIFUL!!!

Jus' my 2�............ smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It sounds about par for pricing on a shooter EG found in a store. Not a great deal, but it'll be a good hunting gun and you won't regret getting it to hunt with.

If you can see Savage 99 printed on the front of the receiver to the side, it was factory d&t. If you can't see it, the front mount base is over it and it was after-market d&t.

On the other hand, you can save your money, keep looking and for another $100 or so you might run into a much better grade. Around here the stores won't price any 99 below $400 unless it has a serious issue.

This 1945 99EG in 300 Savage ran me just over $400, and I'm not regretting it a bit.. Won't flip it for a profit, but it's what I wanted to hunt with so it was worth every penny. Maybe 75%, aftermarket d&t, and I wish it had sling studs (but I ain't gonna do it! grin)

[Linked Image]

Will_C Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks guys. Your responses were about what I had thought they would be. I thought the rifle should be $350 or less. The D and T does not bother me, as I would want the gun scoped.
I have refinished a few guns, and I agree, Ron, that the tru-oil gives a nice finish. I geuss my choice will be to try to get this rifle for $350, shoot it, and refinish if it shot well, or look for a nicer specimen. I don't mind spending $500-600 for a better rifle.
Thanks again,
Will

IC B2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

141 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 3333vl, 308xray, 2ndwind, 18 invisible), 15,108 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,972
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.