Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by MadMooner
There is about a gajillion scopes out on the market today. Seems about half the new offerings are meant to appeal to the tacticool crowd but doesn't seem like much new is being built for hunting rigs.

What I'd like to see is a 30mm, light weight, compact scope, with a low profile EL turret, small ocular, maybe even a straight tube 24mm objective and I want it bullet proof and under 16oz.

So many scopes out now seem to have HUGE objectives that require a damn truss to mount it, weigh over a pound and a half, and still can't hold zero. Not to mention I dont need 24x's to shoot a fuggin' deer. I like and still use 6x42 Leupolds, but would like to see an updated compact version that doesn't have a two inch tall turret sticking out the top.

Is there such an animal out there? Does 6x and a 24mm objective make it a PIA to square up behind?

This is about the closest I've seen to what I gthink would be the perfect big game scope:

http://www.nightforceoptics.com/competition/4.5x24

I don't really get the question. Leupold VX6 1-6x24? CDS Turret. 13 oz.

https://www.leupold.com/scopes/compact-scopes/vx-6hd-1-6x24mm?selectedSku=

How about nab a VX6 on clearance? $620?

https://www.natchezss.com/leupold-vx-6-rifle-scope-1-6x24mm-duplex-116-19-3-8-matte.html

I've got 500 rounds through an 8# (scoped) .375 H&H with no ill effects. My wife's 6.5# Merkel K3 has a VX6 1-6 illuminated circle dot on it with no issues either. As bulletproof as I can think of really.

Last edited by rnovi; 10/02/17.

Hunt Africa while you can
GB1

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Don't have time to build one, easier to go buy a Leupold.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have shot way too many deer at last legal light to take a chance now at this late stage on less than a 36mm objective. I do not believe a 24mm objective will handle last seconds in heavy shadow and give me the sight picture I need. I saw one Swaro 1-4x24 that I was sorely tempted to try, and I have a leupy VX III1-4x20 on my 336 Marlin that I dearly love for what that rifle does for me, but it is not even close to being a low light scope.

I have come to really appreciate the Euro Alphas that do such a good job in very low light. I like being able to see clearly the body angle and visualize the internal targets. Where I hunt deer with my crossbow I am under a heavy red oak canopy with an under story of 6-15 foot buckthorn which makes it really dark in there well before last legal light. Those damn deer can be under that buckthorn and without something to clue me in they are there and put the scope on them they're invisible. For that work, I would be happy with a fixed power scope from 1.5x to 6x. I am currently using a Zeiss Duralyt 2-8 which is a lot of scope for a crossbow, but it's done everything I want on a dozen or so now.

Whatever scope, the low light conditions dictate a heavy reticle with a thin cross wire in the center and first focal plane. Not compromising on the low light capability obviously means accepting the additional weight of the front end metal and glass.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As noted elsewhere on this forum, I ran a quick box test on a 3-12 Tekoa yesterday. I had suspected that the adjustments were jumping around, but it was a new rifle shooting factory stuff, and the barrel channel was very tight at the tip, not touching, but close enough that it might have been making contact when the rifle was fired. I sanded out the tip and resealed, then torqued the action to spec. I also cleaned all the copper out.

Surprisingly, the poi hadn't changed. I fired three, ran it over 16 clicks (4 inches), fired two, then finished the box with two at each corner, ending up back in the original group. Then I fired three shots at another target at 3x, then two back at 12. No poi shift at all.

It appears my rifle, a CZ 6.5 Grendel, doesn't care much for the Hornady 123gr SST ammo, and also that it likes to be "dirty", as the last shots grouped tighter than the earlier ones. Even so, at a previous range session, I was able to put 3 shots in about a 4" group on my plastic "gong" at 300 yards using the tip of the lower post as my aiming point as per the online Tract ballistic program, so it's okay for deer, if I make it that far in the rotation. I definitely need to get some dies.

Anyway, the scope is solid thus far, and I'd likely buy another one, especially if they have another 30% off sale! I hope at some point they make a fixed 6x that could be a bit more compact, but I understand that would be kind of a niche product for a new company to take a chance on.

What fresh Hell is this?
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I would like a scope of about 6x with an objective of 30 to 36mm. A one inch tube would be fine since there is no need for a huge amount of adjustment range. The tube should be strong enough to make a good carrying handle and should be long enough to mount on any rifle. I would like a dot of 4 or 5 moa ; etched on. I'm not trying to shoot groups with this outfit. robust adjustment screws. As some else said, just a good, solid, rifle sight.
I can shoot in a full moon using an old Weaver J-4 so I don't believe a huge objective is necessary for me. a 5 to 6mm exit pupil and good coatings will produce all the brightness I require. By the way, there is no reason for the scope to be ugly. No brightly colored graphics, no big, knurled occular bell. GD

IC B2

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by MILES58
I have a 1.5-6x42 Schmidt and Bender that meets all to requirements but for weight. and objective size. I would love to have less weight, but I can manage what it weighs without problems.

If I had to choose among existing scopes, then I agree with the above. This is the closest we can get to an ideal all-around scope for big-game hunting. I have a 1.5-6X42 Swarovski PH on Heym SR30 rifle and that's what I use for most hunting. The only minor fault for this scope is that its eye relief is a bit short (80mm) but it's OK on my rifle.

Here are some other fine choice in my opinion:

• Schmidt and Bender 4X36 (made of steel, 1 inch tube, nice, light and compact)
  • Zeiss Diavari 1.5-6X42 or 2.5-10X50, Plex FFP Reticle (Excellent edge-less view through the eyepiece)
  • Schmidt and Bender 1.5-6X42 Zenith or 1.5-8X42 Stratos with FD7 reticle (Excellent scope, nice and compact, just a bit heavy, 600 grams)
  • Schmidt and Bender 3-12X42 Classic with A7 reticle (Hmm.. I can't think of any faults for this scope, simply perfect)

If I had to build a new scope, then it's a completely different story. Give me two or three years (and help me please if you may) and I will give you the best hunting scopes in the world: No critical eye relief, no moving parts, no electronics, no batteries, absolutely perfect zero retention, no turrets, unlimited windage and elevation adjustment, and more... laugh

-Omid

Some nice scopes of today and yesterday:

[Linked Image]

The best scopes of the future (still on paper laugh ):

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Omid; 10/03/17.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Something like a Nightforce NXS 1-12x42 FFP with a useable illuminated hunting reticle coming in under 18oz loaded with Swaro glass or similar.

Last edited by GuideGun; 10/03/17.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I would love an SWFA 6x42 with the 1-4's low turrets and maybe an illuminated reticle.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

It would look exactly like the NXS 2.5-10x42 with MIL-R reticle but with heavier wires & marks.

For me, 4.5x is not enough for long range shooting.

MM

This but it'd be a MOAR reticle and I'd bump the top power to 12X, then I'd make it weigh 14 ozs.

Yeah, I know, but one can dream

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
FXR3 6x42 Firedot 4, 1" tube

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I want a duplex type reticle with an elevation turret. I don't want 759 has marks, dots and I don't need a windage turret.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
The perfect hunting scope already exists -- the Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-12.5x42. Anything that lacks the Accupoint's fiber-optic dot is going to be in second place, at best, IMO.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RimfireArtist
The perfect hunting scope already exists -- the Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-12.5x42. Anything that lacks the Accupoint's fiber-optic dot is going to be in second place, at best, IMO.

The problem with your perfect scope is it lacks magnification range. A couple years ago I found a couple deer with my binoculars in a three point or better area. A fork with eye guard qualified. I was using a Swarovski z5 5-25X52 and had to turn it clear up to 25X to verify one was legal. I don't see any value in limiting one's self.

The perfect scope should be good in every hunting situation. Light, good in low light and dependable.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Leupold 6x42 M1 elevation with SWFA/Nightforce tracking and reliability for me.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'd bring back the Weaver Classic V9, build it in the USA and use the same glass as the Super Slam binoculars.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Ringman

The problem with your perfect scope is it lacks magnification range. A couple years ago I found a couple deer with my binoculars in a three point or better area. A fork with eye guard qualified. I was using a Swarovski z5 5-25X52 and had to turn it clear up to 25X to verify one was legal. I don't see any value in limiting one's self.

The perfect scope should be good in every hunting situation. Light, good in low light and dependable.

That's only for you though Rich. 99% of people don't want or need more than 12.5 in a hunting scope. Commenting without knowing if that particular Accupoint is the perfect hunting scope. I do like it's features,and have been interested in seeing one but the weight does turn me off a bit.Otherwise it has what I'm looking for in a hunting scope.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
[quote=R_H_ClarkThat's only for you though Rich. 99% of people don't want or need more than 12.5 in a hunting scope. Commenting without knowing if that particular Accupoint is the perfect hunting scope. I do like it's features,and have been interested in seeing one but the weight does turn me off a bit.Otherwise it has what I'm looking for in a hunting scope.[/quote]

Are you ready, R_H_Clark, for a smart alec this morning? crazy I really like to say 92%, or any number that comes to mind at the time blush, of statistics are made up at the time of use. There is another sight I frequent: https://www.longrangehunting.com. 99% of the guys there prefer the higher magnification scopes.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
W
WRO Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Perfect scope would be as follows:

Z8 Swaro Glass

2x16 power

44 or 50mm objective max

x5 turret less sub zero function and tool to set or Khales turret

30 mm tube

sub 24 oz weight

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

That's only for you though Rich. 99% of people don't want or need more than 12.5 in a hunting scope. Commenting without knowing if that particular Accupoint is the perfect hunting scope. I do like it's features,and have been interested in seeing one but the weight does turn me off a bit.Otherwise it has what I'm looking for in a hunting scope.

I've concluded you aren't going to get great glass in a durable construction without it being weighty. The 2.5 Accupoint weighs a little more than many scopes with comparable mag. ranges and side-focus, but its great reticles and the fiber-optic dot make the extra weight worth packing. Once you use one you will not want to shoot anything else.

I might also point out that my observations indicate that exactly 92.9% of the people taking long-range shots at big game animals have absolutely no business doing that, and they routinely wound and lose many animals.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Ringman

The reticle on that Swarovski, like nearly all others, disappears when looking into dark areas. Mine never does.

Everything in shooting is a trade-off, or compromise. For me the Accupoints compromise the least # of important aspects. Nothing else is even close except the Leupold Firedot.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 1badf350, 62 invisible), 2,293 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,705
Posts18,494,387
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.