Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel
For those who were put under, did you wake up fast, clear, easy? Maybe the drugs used are better than when I had my hernia and heart procedures done many years ago.

It's really just twilight not what you had for full blown surgery. I woke up and was fully awake (after my giant fart woke me up I swear grin ). No issues and could have easily driven home in 30 minutes if they'd let me.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have had some very interesting post-procedure experiences. When they say to have someone drive you home, they mean it. My wife says that we have had some interesting conversations of which I have no recollection.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If they use the same stuff they gave my kids when they had their wisdom teeth removed, expect some batchit crazy stuff to come out of your mouth. I had to restrain my oldest boy from running into traffic as he said he was Captain America, once in the car I had to keep him from pulling his pants down when he claimed he was a stripper. The following hour had all sorts of pearls of wisdom.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Had one - no biggy. Now did the "Cologard" test - deposit your BM in a jar and a larger container and send it off to the tested. It'll come back with results that could indicate you need the full bore colonoscopy, no pre-C cells or inconclusive. About $650 as opposed to $2K+. If you have a genetic disposition, then get the big deal done.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For mine, they used Propofol, with something else mixed in to assist. My experience is, you wake up pretty fast as the drug is short acting, and are reasonably clear within a half hour or so. I easily felt that I could drive myself home (but didn't and absolutely would not recommend it), but did go out to a restaurant to eat following each procedure. I was told to expect to be tired afterward, but wasn't really tired at all, except from getting up really early to do the second half of the clean out process.

After three of these, and with one more the week after next, I can truly say the amount of time I spent worried about the procedure and debating with myself whether to have it or not, was a complete waste of time. If I had known how it would really be, or have listened to those who have had it before, I would have gone right to the center and had it done the same day. It really saved me, and many others as you can see from the responses here and the procedure is truly nothing to worry about.

Craig

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I just had one done this summer. The worst part of it was the clean out via "Golightly", which is most certainly not going lightly.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do it. Way more unpleasant things a guy could go through, and it sure beats the alternative! Just had my second not long ago. First time I asked to be just barely sedated as I wanted to see what they were looking at in there. Doc talked me through the whole thing while I watched the display. Pretty interesting. This time, the novelty had worn off, so I just got the standard dose, and was blissfully unaware!

Jeff

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dixie Rebel,

I had my first one at age 50. The lady Dr. gave me the option of whether or not I wanted to be sedated. She said that if I went the no-sedation route that they would put a needle port into my vein. If I decided I wanted to be sedated at any time during the procedure they could inject it and it would take effect in just a few seconds.

The way she said that, I had the definite impression that she didn't expect me to go very long before crying "Uncle" if I chose to go without.

Well, being a thick-headed Marine, I took the challenge.

And yes, it was quite painful. Every time that scope tube had to negotiate a curve or corner the pain level spiked pretty bad, but then it would ease a bit until she got to the next corner. After I survived the first couple of pain spikes I was determined to ride it out to the end. I do not recommend doing the procedure without sedation. It was a dumb Marine thing to do, just for the hell of it.

The Dr. and the nurse were surprised that I stuck it out. Apparently they don't see that too often. Even though I could tell that the Dr. was trying to be as gentle as she could performing the procedure, it was very painful.

I had my second colonoscopy when I turned 60. I had the sedation. I was out like a light, then back awake in what seemed like just a couple of minutes, at most. What a pleasant experience compared to the first time. On the way home my wife and I stopped for lunch. I felt fine by then, just hungry.

I definitely recommend the sedation.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Doc told me if cancer breaches wall of intestines, 90% chance you gonna die. Girl up and get it done if you are over 50!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hanco
Doc told me if cancer breaches wall of intestines, 90% chance you gonna die. Girl up and get it done if you are over 50!
And after they finish chopping you up, that other 10% probably wished they'd died.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
My brother-in-law went into surgery about a half hour ago to have part of his colon and his appendix removed. He had his first colonoscopy about six weeks ago at age 60 to try and find a cause for otherwise unexplained anemia. Doctor thinks it still might be contained inside the digestive system but they should know for sure in an hour or so. Otherwise the guy is healthy and fit.

I'm due for my second exam in two years. No problems eight years ago.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
With the tecnology they have today, the prep is the worst part of the whole procedure. It's a tiny little camera on a long thin tube. Back in the day they used to send a 35mm camera up there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 45_100
With the tecnology they have today, the prep is the worst part of the whole procedure. It's a tiny little camera on a long thin tube. Back in the day they used to send a 35mm camera up there.

. . . and a cinematographer, focus puller, slate man, 2 production assistants and a 2nd unit director.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Just got back from having my colonoscopy done.This was the fourth one I had,I'm 60,last one was about twelve years ago.They found a couple of polyps on the first one and the one today too,the doctor said they appear benign.What they did find was diverticulitis,which surprised me,The last month or two I've had some issues with constipation,that,coupled with some discomfort in the lower abdomen,along with the fact that it"s been a while since my last one(my excuse was was being busy at work)made my pessimistic self think about colon cancer.As everyone says,the prep
is the worst part.The staff at the endoscopy center was great but all they offered me was water or juice,no cookies.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
all they offered me was water or juice,no cookies.
You don't wear a hip holster with a quick draw pack of Oreos? Get a life, man!

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I live in NJ,it's illegal to carry holstered Oreos.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
61, never had it done, but my new woman doctor wants me to take a sample in to the lab.
She seemed surprised no one had ever had me tested.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm 64 and never had one. Dr. is getting close to 80 and there isn't much else besides Nurse Practitioners in the area. I've been going to this Dr since Jr. High, he knows I'm the only one in the the family that hasn't had cancer. Mom beat 5 different cancers including colon cancer, but the 6th finally got her and he was her dr. Looks like I'm going to have to find someone else and put in the miles each time to get to the office.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just had my first one a few months ago. I'm 53. The procedure itself I don't even remember, but the stuff you have to drink is NASTY. Use a straw and suck it down fast, at the back of your throat, or you will gag. It will clean you out fully, because it can not be absorbed by the digestive system. Did I mention NASTY? I told them to get good pics, because if the taste doesn't improve, there would not be a repeat.
On me, they found absolutely nothing to pique thier interest. (Clean bill of health)

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Any of you guys that are over 50 and haven't had a colonoscopy yet are taking an unnecessary risk.

There is no excuse that is greater than the value of preventing colon cancer by getting a bad polyp removed so easily before it has a chance to turn into cancer.

Do it for your family.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

419 members (1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 10ring1, 42 invisible), 2,707 guests, and 1,128 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,757
Posts18,514,859
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.