Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
So I am contemplating starting a winter project that would be a high end - at least to me - custom build. I am really interested in starting this project around a Defiance Deviant Ultralight action. They seem to have good reviews and for the price I would assume there good - but have no real experince with them. Thoughts?

Thinking about this action, a proof barrel, mcmillan game scout type build.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I dont have the Deviant Ultralight action. But I do have 3 Rebels.Two on hunting rifles with Dave Gentry M70 safe.And one on a 17 pound 1000 yard rifle.
They are very high quality.And very smooth.Im pretty sure that Defiance is doing there own M70 safe.If they do see if you can get them to leave the cut out for the safe on the tang... off.I've been running the 1000 yard BR gun on and off for about 4 years now..something on the order of 4000 rounds or so.No issues of any kind.
For barrels in cut rifle.krieger or Rockcreek.In buttoned Hart does very well and a Douglas Stainless airgauged is never a misstake..

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have that action and am building a very similar rifle with it: Proof Sendero light, McMillan/Echols Shrike stock, chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. Hard to judge the action sitting in the safe but everything about it looks great. I've used them on finished rifles and every one has been fantastic.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Well,
I have a couple Pierce, a Stiller, and have shot a Borden. If you want quality and the best, buy a Pierce or Borden.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have many Defiance actions and they're hands down my favorite...

Public landowner...
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have one rebel and just ordered another. No experience with other custom actions, but to me it's an easy choice over a 700. By the time you true a 700 and add all of the standard features you could have almost paid for a defiance.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Have Defiance and Bordens and prefer the Defiance for a hunting rifle the Bordens are very nice but I like having a 1 pc bolt and handle and pinned mini M16 extractors!

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I talked to Norm at Defiant today and he told me 6-8 weeks on a new order which I surely can work with so I think I am going to pull the trigger...So Far, here is what I am thinking....

Defiance Ultralight Action - 280 ai
Proof - Light Sendero 1/9 twist - 24" - I wont ever shoot bigger than 168 grain loads so no need for 1/8 twist - hope to shoot 160 accubonds
McMillan Hunter Stock - Black
Timney Trigger
BDL Aluminum BM
NF Ultralight Rings
NF 2.5-10X42

Question, since the action is stainless steel, can't it be blasted like a barrel and given a matte finish? No need to cerakote?

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by Hiaring8
I talked to Norm at Defiant today and he told me 6-8 weeks on a new order which I surely can work with so I think I am going to pull the trigger...So Far, here is what I am thinking....

Defiance Ultralight Action - 280 ai
Proof - Light Sendero 1/9 twist - 24" - I wont ever shoot bigger than 168 grain loads so no need for 1/8 twist - hope to shoot 160 accubonds
McMillan Hunter Stock - Black
Timney Trigger
BDL Aluminum BM
NF Ultralight Rings
NF 2.5-10X42

Question, since the action is stainless steel, can't it be blasted like a barrel and given a matte finish? No need to cerakote?

Not sure about a fat Carbon barrel in a Hunter pattern, maybe someone else will chime in....
Yes just make sure your smith uses glass beads not aluminum oxide there is a difference, I would also recommend an .062 firing pin!
also look at the APA rings as they make some lower rings!
Every thing else will make a nice hunting rifle1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I would ask Defiance if they offer bead blasting, as they may need to do that before engraving the serial #, for legibility, etc. Glen bead blasted his first Nesika Bay actions, and I would guess he still has the means/equipment.

Failure's always an option
IC B3

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by tucsonan
I would ask Defiance if they offer bead blasting, as they may need to do that before engraving the serial #, for legibility, etc. Glen bead blasted his first Nesika Bay actions, and I would guess he still has the means/equipment.

No need to bead blast right away it does not affect the engraving!

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Two features I really like about Defiance...

1. You can get a full CRF claw extractor.
2. You can custom pick your serial number.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
https://www.stockysstocks.com/packa...in-stock-with-proof-research-barrel.html

Has anyone looked at this package with a proof and an AG Composite stock? Never heard of the stock before?

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
If I was to go a steel barrel to save some money, what contour? Im thinking a #2 in a douglas/shilen or possibly a 2b bartlien?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Bartlein 2b is a nice contour for a lighter weight build. I've got 2 and really like both, good balance with them even in Edge stocks.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Hiaring8
https://www.stockysstocks.com/packa...in-stock-with-proof-research-barrel.html

Has anyone looked at this package with a proof and an AG Composite stock? Never heard of the stock before?

Did this last year as a whim....yesss spensive whim....but I'm pleased. Had LRI do the work on the barreled action and am pleased so far.

As for the stock...I liked it. I WOULD NOT run one without bedding. I needed to open the lug recess for a thicker lug and whatever they fill those stocks with is tough as iron. I'm not worried about any flexion....it's plenty stiff. The paint finish is a fairly rough texture.

From the wrist back feels like a NULA or Montana. From there forward about like a Mickey m40 or HTG. It swallows up a proof sendero just fine and has zero flex in the forearm. It won't ever win a fit finish or beauty contest but it's about as close to a hunting type stock you are going to find that's fairly fit and trim. I like the Mickey M40 pattern right much but it has always had more drop in the comb then I need. This stock solves that problem.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
butch.would you please elaborate om your reason for your preference with the pierce or borden over the defiance.thanks

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
The Bartlein 2b is a nice contour for a lighter weight build. I've got 2 and really like both, good balance with them even in Edge stocks.

I agree.. 2b is just about perfect!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If you go with a Bartlein 2b you'll be getting real close to the blueprint I'm putting together. Defiance Rebel, fluted 2b 1:8, Manners eh6, 280ai. Even with a chubby 3-9 swfa on top it'll go under 8 lbs.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Own a defiance deviant and it is smooth as silk.like it alot.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

136 members (41rem, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 20 invisible), 1,966 guests, and 986 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,707
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.