Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Capturing a Sharper Image.

Even though many cameras are small and compact, you still should not shoot pictures holding it with only one hand. This often results in blurred images and missed opportunities, especially in low light. An easy way to relieve this is to simply use both hands when shooting to provide greater stabilization. For even more stability, you could brace your body against a solid surface such as a wall or tree to reduce camera shake. The best alternative, though, is to use a tripod.
Tripods come in various sizes, even tabletop. Tabletop tripods are usually only six inches long and can easily fit in your camera bag. As long as you have a flat surface, you can set the camera up and use it's self-timer or remote to trigger it without touching the shutter button.
Check out the Gorilla Pods
Gorilla Pod for Point & Shoot Cameras $19.99
Gorilla Pod for SLR's or Binoculars $29.99
Gorilla Pod for SLR's with Zoom or Spotting Scopes $39.99
These Gorilla Pods are great for use in the field.
Please visit us @ www.cameralandny.com

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As an addition to Doug's post... he mentioned a remote. If your camera can use one, it's invaluable for many things. It works far better than a self timer, particularly for hunting photos where you want to get in the shot. Instead of starting the timer and running to get in the photo (and probably tripping and impaling yourself with an antler) and hoping youre ready when it shoots, just get ready and then click the remote. The odds of getting a good shot are much higher.

Dick

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You are right, I make fuzzy photos many times when one handing it. I decided to try something a while back when shooting stuff that is not moving. I set my timer for 2 seconds on the shots. this way I line up the shot, and put the focus on the object I desire, and then hold the camera with both hands, I take a breath just like when shooting my gun. letting it half way out, and push the button. The two second timer goes off and I have a much cleaner shot. I think that often times when I push the button the rest of the way on point and shoot, it causes the camera to move slightly and causes the blurr. the two seconds after I push and that slight movement is gone...
what do you think?
Max

don't be like a wheelbarrow, it always has to be pushed and is easily upset.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Timers work very well and I've used them a lot, particularly when taking pictures of the moon or planets. The advantage of a remote is that you can get in the picture and click when ready. You don't have to click then run, grab the antlers, get set, and hope it doesn't click too soon. And hopefully, you wont' impale yourself on an antler when hurdling the deer. With a large group, there's always one kid who makes a face after 8 seconds of timing. With a remote, you can get in the photo and click when they're all smiling.
I don't know how many brands of cameras offer them. I have 2 Olympus's that use them but I don't know about others. My 1st camera came with one but the 2d one had it as an option. Luckily, the same remote works for both.

Doug also mentioned those Gorilla pods. I'm going to get one one of these days. If they work half as well as the pictures show, they could be extremely useful sometimes.

Dick

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey the last "TIP" is dated JAN27. What happened????

Handgun Hunter no more. STILL LOVE THOSE .41's
IC B2

BW Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's been a damn long week.

Brian

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well, it's for darn sure that I don't know it all. I read every tip I can find.

Dick

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
LOL tip of the week?

That's a mighty friggen long week.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Well...you've got chops. Get busy then. wink

Guns are like guitars - you can never have too many.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
OK here's my tip. Don't start a tip o the week thread and then bail. LOL

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Good tip...lol as well.

Guns are like guitars - you can never have too many.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Tip of the week would be to make sure and use your Histograms to determine whether you are making proper exposures. In addition, if you are shooting RAW, make sure to use custom white balance to get your color cast correct.

VTi Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 22WRF
My Tip of the week would be to make sure and use your Histograms to determine whether you are making proper exposures. In addition, if you are shooting RAW, make sure to use custom white balance to get your color cast correct.

I think you meant to say "... if you are ***not*** shooting RAW..."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ok here's a tip I learned the hard way. Before you order photos on line or start color corections be sure that your monitor is set to SRGB. If you are using Windowz XP;
Escape your internet browser and right click on the screen. Click on properties. Select "settings". Click "Advanced". Select the color management tab. There will be a list of color prifiles associated with your monitor. If there are none select add. A menu list will come up. Select sRGB. Then apply and OK.
ARGGGGGGGH. I now get the pleasure of reprocessing all my images to a standard color profile.

ooooooof eek cry

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 160user, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 54 invisible), 2,107 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,843
Posts18,517,227
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.