-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
OP Offline
M
I've been looking, in the past I had a couple Sako heavy barreled actions in good wood stocks (never got to finishing them, too much fun USING them - Friend had a huge horse ranch in Eastern WA and we'd be called in to prevent his having to use paralytic poison on his huge place. Killed many of the chucks in each "hot spot" but ofc left enough that there were still viable populations at each hot spot; My guess is that they migrate along water when there are high population pressures, seemed the case back then.)

Another option is the Rem 700 SPS; Or that Howa.

Planning on 85-87 grain SPBTHP bullets over a casefull-ish of slow burning powder and a 26" very heavy barrel, 1:9 twist probably, very good trigger, etc. - Eastern WA has some good long ranges. Good challenge to us as shooters smile

I need to get back to where I was when I did that last, only way there is, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE...

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Don't know what caliber you're speaking of here... assuming 243 from the bullet weights listed..

I've migrated from Remington's lately to some Howa or Vanguard....

I'm enjoying them and their accuracy... some don't like the factory stocks, especially the Hogue equipped
ones...but I find I enjoy them...

Some think they are heavy... but to me if a rifle is "too heavy" someone either needs to get some more exercise
or play video games more at Cabelas....

Running a new Bushnell Engage rifle scope in 3 x 12 on the Howa 243...

some might find the reticle "too busy".. but I enjoy the scopes features..

target turrets and excellent glass in my opinion...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

M
OP Offline
M
Yes, .243, sorry.

Too Heavy? On a varmint rifle?! Only if it comes equipped with TRACKS :P

I'm strong enough that I can carry 'em. Acquaint those heatens with the physics term "Moment of inertia"? LOL

I'm used to Leopold VX3's in 3x9, 50mm preferably for better brightness. I only used duplex reticles, did the dots over / up part with my brain, practice enough and that works very well. Might try mil dots this time tho smile Old shooters can learn new tricks, good luck MAKING them do so, though.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
My brother and I were killing sage rats (about the size of a Dish TV remote) at 500 yards with 70 gr Nosler RDF from 1-8 twist Tikka T3 .223s. 24.5 grains TAC, I think. This would wreck a marmot or yote, easy.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
What Pharmseller said -

Tikka T-3's are amazingly accurate right out of the box, the 70 gr bullet will easily work out to 500 yds, minimal recoil -- much less than a 243, about 1/2 of the amount of powder the 243 consumes.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
personally if money is no problem I really like my 6mm-284 long range coyote gun with a nite force scope/bi-pod i do well in the pone position out to 600 yards with a 70 grain ballistic tip molley coated bullet

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
You could buy a cheap Savage Hog hunter, shoot cshit out of it. Barrels are easy to change if you wear it out. I got one used for 300.00. 1 in 9 twist. I shoot 62 Barnes to kill pigs. Great truck gun.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
howa sells heavy barreled actions, or the rifle itself,223 is a fantastic round, but when windy it gets played and tossed by the wind,yes wind affects all but some more then others, 243 always a winner winner chicken dinner,Winchester ,Sako, Savage,and some im sure I missed come up for sale now n again, or buy used and rebarrel n restock,change trigger glassbed and theres your semi- custom, find a gifted gunsmith that's trustable, and affordable that's key! that Ranch you talk of sure sounds Great get back there an Burn some powder will you!!! ,on Remington yes their quality control has slipped but i'm sure they trying to fix that, some sps's shoot great as they all should, forgot Tikka honorable mention there. Great post thought and Memory provoking , gota go load some 243 & 223 now see what you've done LOL...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (1234, 007FJ, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 60 invisible), 2,430 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,415
Posts18,470,496
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.