Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by NDHuntr
Good post. Care to share clothing recommendations? Haven't found a pair of quiet cotton pants I'm completely satisfied with. Used some Columbia Roc II hiking pants last time that worked ok but looking for options.

It seems that its easier to buy orange or pink pants than it is to buy men's regular cut green or brown non-camo durable pants. Here is where I bought pants for my son and I

http://www.lapolicegear.com/lapg-shrike-tactical-pant.html

http://www.basspro.com/shop/en/redhead-canvas-zip-off-pants-for-men

I hunted RSA with my high school age son this past August. It was the first time I have ever done it, and hopefully not the last. With the exception of the long flights it was an amazing experience and I am truly glad that I did it while my health is still OK. We flew from Milwaukee to Chicago O'Hare, then on to Munich for a few days before heading to JNB, then on to Polokwane. On the way home we went through Frankfurt instead of Munich.

The hunting was simply incredible. On our first afternoon in the bush I saw more game than I have in the last 20 years of deer hunting in Wisconsin. We took Impala, Bushbuk, Blesbuk, and Wildebeest.

Next time I go I want to do Sable or Kudu

Best wishes to all of you

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sevens
The wife and I are rapidly approaching the age where we will be starting to have (or try to have) kids. My friends who have kids have all said "If you thought you were broke now, wait until you have kids." My wife also says that when the kids are young, I will not be leaving her alone to go spend 2 weeks off in some foreign place. Seemed like a good reason to book a big trip.

From my experience with kids and knowing others with kids, the kids are an excuse for not doing things, but not the real cause. I've had all kinds of adventures while having kids, some with, some without the kids or whole family. Kids don't limit what you do. You limit what you do. Rest assured you will still be able to do great things after having kids.

I waited until my daughter was 8 days old before taking her on salmon fishing trips. Since then she hasn't held me back. I don't think I waited on anything with my son.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by NDHuntr
Good post. Care to share clothing recommendations? Haven't found a pair of quiet cotton pants I'm completely satisfied with. Used some Columbia Roc II hiking pants last time that worked ok but looking for options.

[/quote]

ND, I love these pants, and have taken them 3 times to Namibia. They are comfy, roomy, lightweight, and quiet. Hopefully you can find your size.

https://www.amazon.com/Carhartt-Mens-Tacoma-Ripstop-Pant/dp/B00SIMRF0U?th=1

For shirts I like the Cabelas Serengeti safari shirts. Lots of pockets.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
The Cabelas Safari shirts are also pretty damn good at repelling thorns without getting ripped.

Basic Carharrt duck jacket is also good in the thorn, especially on cold mornings!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Right on Tom. I took one short sleeved Cabelas shirt to Namibia.........bad idea.......gave it to the tracker after one day wearing it. My arms looked like pit bulls had gotten ahold of me. I used the long sleeved versions happily ever after.

And I'm not sure what they call that low hanging limbed treebush, fishook thorn infested bastard, grab your freaking ear and try to shred it off of your head bush.

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I think ( if the thorns are curved..) its called "wait-a-bit' thorns..... On one trip I wore a Columbia bird shooters shirt, it got shredded on day one and I pulled a couple 3/4 inch thorns out of my shoulder...good times!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I think Cabela's has discontinued their line of safari shirts.

And if you're looking for a lightweight, quiet cotton pant start looking at second hand stores. I bet you could find a pair of casual type pants that would work. Then just leave them behind when done. That's what my dad did on our first trip across the pond.

He went over yonder way
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thorns have tore me up to the point I wear long sleeved shirts and long pants. Rip stop BDU type work for me. Jungle weight if it's really hot. Also helps against tsetse. Those things suck miserably. I also wear shooting gloves in tsetse country - baseball batting gloves.

In South Africa on hunt I was wearing a short sleeve shirt made of heavy, durable cotton. An Acacia thorn ripped it in passing like a box cutter. Those things puncture tires, soles of boots and do rude things to your flesh. Hate those too!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Acacia is bad, but I'll take those any day of the week over the thorny locust (black locust) trees we have up this way!!!

He went over yonder way
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
The thing no one mentioned for you first time hunters...riding in the open back of the truck under these thorn trees is a given...and the black staff doesn't necessarily warn you as you are standing there gawking......they get their kicks that way.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shouldn't have read this thread. I'm getting the itch to go back. I need a cape buff.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yes you do Bob! and you have just the rifle for it!!!

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by ingwe
The thing no one mentioned for you first time hunters...riding in the open back of the truck under these thorn trees is a given...and the black staff doesn't necessarily warn you as you are standing there gawking......they get their kicks that way.

Then you are hunting with a second rate outfit. On my first trip 21 years ago, the trackers standing behind me in the back were continually reaching forward to shield my face from branches I I was too dumb to know what was about to rip my face off. I was too enthralled with all the critters I had never seen before and the guys saved me from my own stupidity. 14 safaris later I am better at spotting problems but the guys in back still protect me if I get careless- and this applies across 7-8 outfitters in 7 African countries.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by jdollar

Then you are hunting with a second rate outfit. On my first trip 21 years ago, the trackers standing behind me in the back were continually reaching forward to shield my face from branches I I was too dumb to know what was about to rip my face off. I was too enthralled with all the critters I had never seen before and the guys saved me from my own stupidity. 14 safaris later I am better at spotting problems but the guys in back still protect me if I get careless- and this applies across 7-8 outfitters in 7 African countries.

My experience would be exactly the same. I've been whacked by stuff, but its been outside of the crews ability to keep me safe from myself. smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the links JG and Smokey.

On another note, I called Gracey last week and left a message with the receptionist (actually talked with her after going thru automated call answering machine, leaving a message and her calling me back). I asked for Shawn Kennedy who was out that day and the receptionist said she would forward the message and she would get back to me. No call back so far. Not super impressed....

Do or do not, there is no try.
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Welcome ND. If Gracy doesn't get back with you in a timely manner, give Steve at Travel With Guns a call. Their service is just as good, as I have used them both.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That was my thought as well. Thx.

Do or do not, there is no try.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
No experience with Gracey, but I booked my tickets last week with Patrick at Travel With Guns. I've used one other outfit and talked to another, TWG is head and shoulders above in customer service - very happy with them so far.

I did do a bit of searching on google flights ahead of time and just asked about those flights. Aside from their service fee, price I found on google flights was the price I paid. As has been said before, of flying with a rifle, it's nice to have a travel agent there for you if something goes wrong. The service fee bugged me last time right up until the day of my flight when I woke up to find my South Africa flight was 12 hours delayed and would make me miss my connection to Mozambique. Travel agent rerouted me through Germany and I arrived on time.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by jdollar

Then you are hunting with a second rate outfit.

Thanks for lining me out on that...I would have never known after 6 safaris otherwise...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Hi guys, not anything planned, but I am talking with Johnny Vivier of Wintershoek for a combo Selous Scouts/Rorke's Drift/sable buff hunt in 2019. That's all I have so far.

I hunted with Johnny V at his concession outside Kimberly. Class operation.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

640 members (1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 72 invisible), 2,084 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,900
Posts18,479,331
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.