Print Thread
Hop To
D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Anyone have firsthand experience with the Walther PPS M2?

I just got my Shield back from S&W for the second time for a FTE issue. I have no faith in this gun and its going down the road. I was looking at other options and the store owner pulled out this Walther. It’s kind of homely but the ergos felt great! It was the LE edition and had nice night sights and 3 mags. I have medium sized hands and the Shield always shot low left for me, probably because the trigger pull length was a little short (Right handed). I could shoot it well but had to really concentrate on pulling the trigger straight back and adjust my trigger finger placement. I have a feeling I would shoot this Walther very well.

Big question is how reliable is this weapon? Not many threads on it here and the You-Tube videos are kind of dorky. It would be my main cold weather CCW piece and it just has to be reliable; the Shield wasn’t. I’d appreciate any thoughts.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Chose tthe m2 over the shield purely on ergos/grip shape. Really like it, but havn't but a few hundred tounds through it so far. Dispatched a suffering roadkill doe. Curios about your sights. Mine were plain jane, rear notch too wide for taste, replaced with trijicon hd's.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Sandcritter,

The LE edition came with phosphoric sights sights and a 6, 7, and 8 round mags. The store had it for ~ $450. The only real negative I have found on this pistol is it a couple ounces heavier than other of single stack 9mm.

Have you had any malfunctions yet?

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
I have the LE model with the 6, 7 and 8 round mags and have made a few trips to the range with it. With the 6 round mag, it is very compact. Move to the 8 round mag and now you have a full size grip for even the largest meat hooks.

It is as accurate as most of my Glocks out to 10 yards, but not more accurate. On my example, if I try and squeeze the trigger slowly, it feels like there are a couple of very small speed bumps, for lack of a better word, that the trigger has to jump over before the trigger breaks. Hopefully this will smooth out with more use.

There is a good selection of aftermarket sights and holsters for the pistol, but not much else.

Would I buy it again? At this point I'd call it a toss-up, but I'm hoping with more work things will improve. If you decide to get one, get the LE version with the three different magazines, which is probably the best feature of this firearm.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Love my M1 PPS. No issues whatsoever.

I really don't understand the stigma associated with Walther pistols. Maybe buyers just assume that they are dealing with the same under rated and little known company that made the PPK and P38 and that is not the case at all. Walther makes a product just as good if not better than the top rated makers. But I never see them on the shelf's anywhere locally.

My used PPS cost $300 total. What's not to love about a phenomenal German made 9mm at practically a giveaway price.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
IC B2

D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks walt501 and krupp.

Have either of you experienced any reliability issues when. If it's reliable, I'll give it a 'shot'.

My other option is the Glock 43. It's just that darn Glock grip angle always points low for me.

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
I have both the PPS M2 and the Glock 43. I've had no reliability issues with either. The Glock 43 out of the box has a much better trigger, the best of all the Glocks I own and I own a dozen or so dating back to 2001. The grip on the PPS feels better in my hand.

I don't hate on any brand gun. I do admit to being slow to adopt new things when it comes to firearms, which I don't think is unusual with a lot of us who enjoy the shooting sports. I was a revolver guy for many years, and when I bought my first Glock in 2001 (a model 30) I thought the thing was horrid. I couldn't hit anything with it and thought the trigger, compared to a nicely tuned revolver trigger, was like trying to chew gravel. There was one and only one thing I liked about it and that was the fact that there were no levers (safeties) to push to make the gun fire, just like my beloved revolvers. You pull the gun out, squeeze the trigger and it fires. That's why I kept it, but put it away for quite awhile before giving it another try. Eventually, I got used to striker fired guns and pulled the old Glock 30 out of storage. Of all my Glocks it is the most accurate one I own today, followed closely by my Glock 36 which I hate to shoot. It pinches my trigger finger something awful but puts them where I'm aiming.

Either gun should serve you well.

B
B
i also had a shield. from the performance center.
it went south after a supposed repair trip back to s&w.
bought a pps m2 and have had no problems. no failure to feed or eject since it came out of the box, about 500 rounds ago.
comfortable and very accurate for a plastic wonder nine.
like it so much i just bought a walther ccp to keep it company.
agree that walther is an overlooked quality brand.

carry it with confidence.

NRA benefactor member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by djb
Sandcritter,

The LE edition came with phosphoric sights sights and a 6, 7, and 8 round mags. The store had it for ~ $450. The only real negative I have found on this pistol is it a couple ounces heavier than other of single stack 9mm.

Have you had any malfunctions yet?

Have the same kit - phosphor paint 3-dot sights and 6/7/8 mags. Running the 7 rd mag. No malfunctions to report, though like I said, only few hundred rounds thru it so far. Too dang busy these days. I put some falcon grip tape on it for extra feel. Did buy 4 more 7rd mags - so I must like it. It replaced the sig 938 I had - same IWB role - again, the ergos of the M2 were the best of the compact 9mm designs out there for me.

Man. Need some days off with no honey-do's it seems.....

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Purchased my first PPS M2 last March and it has about 800 rounds through it with no issues. I use the seven round magazine loaded with 124 Gr Gold Dot for my daily carry.
I liked it so much that I bought a second one in June of last year and it has about 500 rounds through it, again with no issues.
The stock sights are ok, may change them but it's not a priority.
The PPS M2 replaced my SIG P239, SIG P225 and S&W 642 for daily carry; like the ergos, weight, size combination.

StarchedCover

Semper Fi
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by djb
Anyone have firsthand experience with the Walther PPS M2?

I just got my Shield back from S&W for the second time for a FTE issue. I have no faith in this gun and its going down the road. I was looking at other options and the store owner pulled out this Walther. It’s kind of homely but the ergos felt great! It was the LE edition and had nice night sights and 3 mags. I have medium sized hands and the Shield always shot low left for me, probably because the trigger pull length was a little short (Right handed). I could shoot it well but had to really concentrate on pulling the trigger straight back and adjust my trigger finger placement. I have a feeling I would shoot this Walther very well.

Big question is how reliable is this weapon? Not many threads on it here and the You-Tube videos are kind of dorky. It would be my main cold weather CCW piece and it just has to be reliable; the Shield wasn’t. I’d appreciate any thoughts.

I had decided the M&P40C was the G27 killer, until the former started exhibiting FTF's with 170 grain Perfecta FMJ- with either magazine. Discovered the M&P's chamber was at minimum SAAMI specs and it needed more maintenance that the typical Glock. I'm looking hard at the PPS M2 .40 as a replacement for that and my LCP; so if any of you have fooled with the PPSM2 40, please chime in. Recoil is irrelevant to the discussion for my purposes.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I did some further research on the Walther while on the road elk hunting and picked up a LE package with the 3 mags on Weds when I got home. I put about 150 rounds through it Thursday morning after bow hunting and must say that I love this little pistol!

This is a very soft shooter for its size and it functioned 100%. It feels like more like a full size pistol (especially with the larger mags) but is very comparable in size the Shield/Glock 43 ect. I think the extra oz or 2 helps. I ‘limp wristed’ almost to the point of letting jump out of my hand and couldn’t get it to malfunction even with the Herter’s ammo that was locking up my Shield. I shot 4 different types of ammo and it loved the Fiocchi 124 JHP. I may just use this JHP as my carry ammo. It’s very affordable ammo, and accurate as the picture shows. This is 10 shot groups fired off hand at 7 yds.
[Linked Image]

I’m glad the store staff pulled this one out as I completely overlooked the Walther. If you a looking for a single stack 9 give this one consideration. $459 for a pistol with 3 mags and steel night sights that don’t need upgraded is a deal IMHO. I just need to drift the POI a little right and pick up a Desantis Speed Slide to start carrying this thing.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Excellent news. I knew you would be pleased.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 1234, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 53 invisible), 2,498 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,429
Posts18,470,760
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.