Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by SargeMO
The difference between young and old eyes is a decreased ability to rapidly shift between focal planes while keeping them all in perspective.

Peeps.....

GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by deflave
The difference between young and old eyes is a decreased ability to rapidly shift between focal planes while keeping them all in perspective.

Yes.

Clark

That's what I was trying to say. But Sarge explained it better . With a whole lot fewer words I might add.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
With ammo it likes your 22/45 should be mechanically capable of 1" groups at 25yds. Getting your sight picture, down, trigger control and being consistent with those shot to shot should get your offhand groups down to 2" at 25 yds and likely quicker than you think. Clay pigeons on the 50 yd berm should be your goal, and no reason you can't get there.

I think 2" groups offhand at 25 yards is pretty sporty. I think you have to be a pretty damn good shooter to consistently post that sort of accuracy.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Gibby
Originally Posted by deflave

Yes.

Clark

That's what I was trying to say. But Sarge explained it better . With a whole lot fewer words I might add.

Ten Foe

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MOGC
With ammo it likes your 22/45 should be mechanically capable of 1" groups at 25yds. Getting your sight picture, down, trigger control and being consistent with those shot to shot should get your offhand groups down to 2" at 25 yds and likely quicker than you think. Clay pigeons on the 50 yd berm should be your goal, and no reason you can't get there.

I think 2" groups offhand at 25 yards is pretty sporty. I think you have to be a pretty damn good shooter to consistently post that sort of accuracy.

If you gain the skills and shoot weekly, it's far from impossible. I've done it with a 44 mag and 454 casull, so it's not limited to what can be done with a small bore pistol.

That said I haven't been able to put in the range time I used to and hence my 25 yd groups are more in the 4-5" range.

But the op asked what is possible, and most handgun shooters have never put in the effort to answer that question and assume handguns aren't that accurate. When I was serious about finding out what a good handgun could do, I found out they'll not far off what a rifle will do.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
At 50 yards off of a bag my Kimber 1912 commander length gun will drop 4-5 into 4-5 inches the problem is I inevitably into the string pull the trigger on a bad sight alignment or pull the trigger wrong. Hell I think I could hunt with a 1911

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jimmyp
At 50 yards off of a bag my Kimber 1912 commander length gun will drop 4-5 into 4-5 inches the problem is I inevitably into the string pull the trigger on a bad sight alignment or pull the trigger wrong. Hell I think I could hunt with a 1911

Well, tell the old bag to hold still!

Everybody yanks one into the next zip code occasionally. The only way I can make five good shots, especially offhand, is to BS myself into believing the firing pin is going to fall on an empty chamber.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Who says glocks are not accurate!

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Some of you guys should try the GSSF indoor matches. The outdoor matches are more about speed, but the indoor matches are pretty much purely about accuracy, with a moderate time limit. Each stage is shot with 10 rounds in 15 seconds, none of this 3-4 round stuff for accuracy measurements. Everything is fired offhand, but depending on the stage it'll be done strong hand, weak hand, or both (most stages are both hands).

It can be humbling, but can also be good motivation to improve, and it's rewarding when you do well.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Yondering
Some of you guys should try the GSSF indoor matches. The outdoor matches are more about speed, but the indoor matches are pretty much purely about accuracy, with a moderate time limit. Each stage is shot with 10 rounds in 15 seconds, none of this 3-4 round stuff for accuracy measurements. Everything is fired offhand, but depending on the stage it'll be done strong hand, weak hand, or both (most stages are both hands).

It can be humbling, but can also be good motivation to improve, and it's rewarding when you do well.

Well, I guess that would leave out my .45 Autos. The .38 Supers would work for the 10 round rule with one in the chamber starting out.

The hell with the 9's.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I am pretty sure that almost every handgun made has far more potential for accuracy than the person shooting it. I do also believe that some handguns are more difficult to learn than others. Over 25 years and I am still learning the Glock trigger.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Update......I'm now able to consistently get ten shots touching at 3yrds.......moving back to 7yrds tomorrow....

Also.....after several hundred rounds I've come to the realization that my little Ruger....as reliable as it is....has the worst trigger known to mankind.
I hate to spend a bunch of money upgrading the trigger on a $300 pistol and hope it doesn't come to that but I'm hell bent at this point so it might come to it.
I've also learned along the way that as far as the which is more important.....trigger control or front sight debate goes......for me it's a tie with a TIGHT grip following close behind. That's just me though and I'm self-taught soooo.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Update......I'm now able to consistently get ten shots touching at 3yrds.......moving back to 7yrds tomorrow....

Also.....after several hundred rounds I've come to the realization that my little Ruger....as reliable as it is....has the worst trigger known to mankind.
I hate to spend a bunch of money upgrading the trigger on a $300 pistol and hope it doesn't come to that but I'm hell bent at this point so it might come to it.
I've also learned along the way that as far as the which is more important.....trigger control or front sight debate goes......for me it's a tie with a TIGHT grip following close behind. That's just me though and I'm self-taught soooo.

One of the most important thing to acquire is confidence in your shooting. Real confidence will surprise you. Keep up the practicing. It will come.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Spend the money on the trigger. A $300 handgun benefits just as much as a $600 or $1000 handgun.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Spend the money on the trigger. A $300 handgun benefits just as much as a $600 or $1000 handgun.

This. Original price of the gun has no bearing on whether improvements will be helpful or not.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Gibby
Originally Posted by Yondering

Well, I guess that would leave out my .45 Autos. The .38 Supers would work for the 10 round rule with one in the chamber starting out.

The hell with the 9's.

I shoot 45 sometimes in GSSF.

You can't use 38 Super though; Glock never made one. Maybe you missed what the G in GSSF is for?

It's a test of the shooter's accuracy, not a gear race or competition to see who's favorite gun is best. The type of pistol doesn't matter here, other than mastering a gun that's difficult to shoot (Glock triggers for example) makes you a better shooter.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

I didn't say I wouldn't.....just that I hate to...

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Here's what you do...contact Clark in Louisiana, order a steel trigger with overtravel set screw, have it installed with a trigger job by someone that knows Rugers and bullseye triggerwork (set for 2.2 lbs) and you're good to go. It will be around $100.00 or so. You'll then have an outstanding target pistol that will win anything except maybe the Nationals at Perry. I had a custom .22 built on an early Ruger Standard Model years ago with an Apex barrel that was awesome. I sold it and went to a Hammerli 208 only because the Ruger was a pain in the ass to strip and reassemble. I won many a match with the little Ruger, both in bullseye and International. A Ruger .22 with a good trigger will serve you well.
Bob

Last edited by RGK; 10/09/17.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

You could correct the Luger-esque grip, funky take-down and likely get a 40%-50% better trigger simply by swapping it for a Buckmark. Doubt you'll give up anything in the reliability or accuracy departments, either.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I didn't say I wouldn't.....just that I hate to...

I understand, been there done that. Think of it as walking by a room where one of the bulbs in the fixture is burned out. You finally pull out the ladder and change the bulb. With the room fully illuminated you kick yourself for waiting so long.

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (6mmbrfan, 257_X_50, 808outdoors, 2500HD, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,395 guests, and 819 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,505
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.