Page 1 of 2 1 2
#12324492 10/10/17
B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I went on a guided wilderness horse packing elk trip last week. I had wanted to since I was a boy, and am glad I did. It was great adventure. Bears in camp, my partner shot a wolf, all of us killed 6pt bulls. It was great, just a really great trip.

I do have to share that my twenty something guide seemed to think that a Kimber Montana in .270 Win, shooting 150NP at 3025 and wearing a Zeiss scope without turrets was absolutely incapable of cleanly taking an elk at any distance. He also seemed to think that a Christensen 7Mag shooting 160AB's at 2820(!) with a NightForce/Turrets/Illuminated reticle could neither miss, nor fail to instantly drop anything at which it was aimed. And that a .300 Ultra would do it faster and better. I went so far as to use my iPhone to generate and discuss ballistics and energy tables, but to no apparent effect on his thinking. At the end of the day, both rifles worked as expected and intended and we got some really nice animals.

I wonder what he would have thought of my bone stock pre-64 .264WM.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
He heard what you said and will probably tell the next person he guides what he learned!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Heym06
He heard what you said and will probably tell the next person he guides what he learned!

There you go! That's the way to look at it.

Sometimes it takes a while for that new-old wisdom to sink in.........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've heard lots of dumb rifle advice from boomers and Gen Xers....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I was just gonna say, I heard the same stuff before "millennials" was even a thing.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by smokepole
I was just gonna say, I heard the same stuff before "millennials" was even a thing.

Just stand around any Sportsman's Warehouse or the like and listen. You will not believe people this dumb exist....

Good Shooting!
B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
All good points. As he spoke, I sat there slack jawed and with a raised eye. It dawned on me that perhaps he would respect numbers and data, but no luck. I think he'll have to rely on the eye test.

Either way he was a great kid, and he played it smart when the time came. I tipped him well.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Sounds like he did a good job on the elk even though he dissed your 270...

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by hunting1

Just stand around any Sportsman's Warehouse or the like and listen. You will not believe people this dumb exist....

Yep. Once I was at the gun counter asking for powder, they kept it in the back. I laid a couple boxes of .270 130 grain partitions on the counter and the guy told me they were "no good for deer." Told me I should get the new TTSX bullet instead, due to the plastic tip and "high BC." I think he was genuinely offended when I ignored that sage advice.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
He probably just needs to see a few more elk killed and then he'll start thinking...

How about a hunt report and pics?

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
He shoulda come out and just said what he was thinking. Gay cartridges just want to antique shop after Sunday brunch. They aren't man enough to hunt elk.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by starsky

+1 Sounds like the same guys that think a .243 through .260 Swedemoor is too small for whitetail that average 100 pounds on the hoof.

Semper Fi

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Ah, when I think back to what I "knew" at 25... and at 50... Hell, give me another 25 over my 69, and maybe I'll know it all! smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'm on the same trajectory but given where I started I doubt I'll get there.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hunting1

Exactly! Was back east this summer and stopped at a Cabelas. Some jack-wad working the gun department was pontificating to a bunch of folks about the quasi sniper rifle wanna be on display, think it was a 338 Lapua. He went on and on about how this is exactly the rifle you want for out west. That POS probably weighs 14 puonds, could just imagine some guy tryin to hump it up a few hills. Moral of the story is morons come in all shapes, sizes and ages.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Don't forget the co-worker who has a 308 that shoots flat out to 800 yards. Friggin' laaazzzzer

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ralphie
He probably just needs to see a few more elk killed and then he'll start thinking...

How about a hunt report and pics?

That would be nice.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've found that most hunting guides (note that I said "most" not all) don't know much about rifles, cartridges, or ballistics. However, they do know what they've seen their clients use and how it worked for them. If they see some guy with a .338 Lapua and he misses or wounds an animal, they'll tell everyone that that cartridge sucks and all it does is wound animals. Sometimes these guys will want to learn a bit about cartridges, bullets, ballistics, etc., but not often. I bet your guide will be telling folks now how deadly those 270 Win. are on elk!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Yeah no joke. For some reason the older forum members are hell bent on drawing generational distinctions and blaming everything on millenials.

But I’ve heard some awful dumb schidd come from the mouths of the over-40 crowd.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by bellydeep

Yeah no joke. For some reason the older forum members are hell bent on drawing generational distinctions and blaming everything on millenials.

But I’ve heard some awful dumb schidd come from the mouths of the over-40 crowd.

Yep your right over 40 and under 60!! After 60 you can take everything as Gospel!!! Really!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1234, 16gage, 53 invisible), 2,415 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,404
Posts18,470,164
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.