Print Thread
Hop To
C
carlm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Built 2 ar uppers (6 x 45 and .264 LBC-6.5 Grendel clone) using SLR 7 handguards, adjustable gas blocks and gas tubes. I tested these rifles for function, and after waiting over a year for the stamps (suppressor), I finally started shooting them for accuracy. Both have unexplained fliers. In looking my builds over, both guns have the gas block hitting the inside of the handguard. Calling SLR is a waste of time. They don't even answer the phone, but force you to leave your phone number. I paid $400 for each guns parts-yes $800. Turns out the problem is well known:

http://forums.brianenos.com/topic/218871-gas-block-hitting-handguard/

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-8356.html

just a heads up. These guys cost me hundreds of dollars in gas for trips to the range and wasted ammo in addition to the defective parts.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've used SLR's clamp on adjustable gas blocks & their ION Lite handguards in both 13.7" & 15" lengths & there's plenty of clearance around the gas block with those handguards & thos guns shoot MOA or better.

Never used their shorter, or different model handguards though & all of my guns have been 5.56, nothing in the bigger caliber such as yours.

Two of the 3 guns I mention in the linked thread below, have SLR handguards & their adjustable GB's.

I've had good service & good relationships with them for sometime, they usually answer the phone, always respond to emails & the quality of their stuff is some of the best on the market, IMO.

24Hr Black Rifle Challenge

At the bottom of the page of the link below are all the dimensions of their rails & their gas blocks, FYI

SLR Rail & GB Dimensions

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've used several SLR adjustable gas blocks, but I used them with a MI handguard without trouble.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had an issue with the gas block touching on an earlier 308 handguard and they sent me a brand new one with beefier mounting system, free of charge. I had no problems with the handguard shifting on the newer clamp design.

Last edited by wareagle700; 10/12/17.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I get being upset when parts from the same manufacturer don't work well together, and poor customer service is inexcusable. However, seems to me that checking for clearance between the handguard and gas block is a normal part of assembling an AR. That's got to be at least partly on the guy who assembled it; not all the blame goes to SLR.

IC B2

C
carlm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
They are not just parts from the same mfgr. They were marketed as made for each other. I also called them to check fitment before ordering. Ordered direct from SLR and paid the prices you see on their website. I saw a pic of one with beautiful clearance. They came out with a Gen 4. Mine is old from the 4th Qtr '15. I watched all their installation videos, followed their instructions to a "T". None of their videos mentions grinding to fit. When you look at the GB from the front it looks clear. Only when you try to slide a strip of index card about 1" inside the tube on the vent side can you find the interference.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I haven't had to grind any of mine to fit, but mine are current generation, both on the GB's & the rails.

What did they say to you when you talked to them?

MM

C
carlm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Can't get a call back. That's part of the problem. Mine is a clamp on. There is supposed to be a little more clearance if you dimple the barrel. I went clamp on because my barrel profile is pretty slim. I have learned that my setup is a Gen 3. There is a new Gen 4 out that looks to have more clearance. At this point, I have a few choices. I can take off the handguard and grind the GB with a file/Dremel and color it with a black Sharpie. I can soak the tip of the barrel in water to loosen the Rocksett, remove the muzzle break and peel washer (which is also the suppressor mount) sell the GB's and handguards and start with a new ones. I could remove the handguard a put a shorter one on that would leave the GB exposed. If I used one from the same manufacturer, I might be able to use the same barrel nut so I would not have to remove the GB and tube. It could be an easy swap out, but since the manufacturer will not respond, I hesitate to spend any more money with them. I have not decided which way to go. I never really considered a Dremel the way to build an AR. I think a long time before grinding anything, at which point the resale value is zero instead of 35%. Seems like most people think grinding to fit is no big deal. That's why I don't buy many things used.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There should be no reason to grind on the GB when using their rail & GB unless there is something here that is not obvious.

Here's a direct email for one of the contacts there that I've been in touch with in the past. I suggest that you email him & ask that he call you to discuss it.................maybe you can get a resolution.

alfredo@slrrifleworks.com

Good luck with a solution.

MM

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I get you have problems and didn't bother to verify fit of the parts you assembled.

But their titanium adjustable gas block is the best I have ever used. And I've used quite a few. No idea on the handguards...

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
even on same make, some parts are not mated for others.. not saying thats the case here. but lots of good results I have read from the company so I'm a bit perplexed.

And they should respond to customer issues, no matter the issue, to be a top company.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
It was noted on another forum that you posted this on that their shop had been flooded from the hurricane so they may need a little more time to respond to your problems...

Public landowner...
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
crap if they were flooded, that can take a long time to even get permission to be in the shop, much less to start and finish repairs, if even allowed....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I haven't talked to anyone directly there since the hurricane, so I don't really know how long it took them to be functional again, but I did get a shipment from them that was shipped a 3-4 days after the flood.

He should try the direct email that I provided earlier as a starter.

MM

C
carlm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
You'd think in this day and age in like 2 minutes they could post on their website that they got flooded so people would know, and even I know how to change my phone message to tell others when I'm not available. Anyway, I took both guns apart today and did what I did not want to, with a Dremel. You could see a tiny shiny mark where the edge of the GB was contacting the inside of the handguard. I stoned it down and for good measure took a little off the high point on the button head socket cap screw they used. A lower profile screw head would go a long way to avoiding this issue. I had no interference on the bottom. All the interference was on the gas vent side with the screw and at the far inside of the tube. Because my GB is completely covered, it was difficult to find, but I have it fixed. I have clearance now. Mine is a Gen 3. The Gen 4 looks like it has addressed this issue.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Internet may not be intact where they are RE website? No clue.

Some folks are not patient. I tend to be pretty patient and it usually pays dividends. YMMV and sorry you had this issue.

I'd have never assembled anything that tight to start with.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

645 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 1badf350, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 3,214 guests, and 1,351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,372
Posts18,469,313
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.