Page 1 of 2 1 2
#12326998 10/11/17
V
viking Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
The the Fire seems to be burning the same old chit: 1911's, Glock and Smiths yada yada.

So for entertainment and historical purposes, does anyone own a Luger or even a Broomhandle? I think they are kinda bizarre but a cool footnote in history.

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Don't have a Luger, but have always wanted one - a good shooter. I did have a Stoeger (sp?) .22 LR Luger at one time that I bought at a pawn shop. I cannot remember a specific problem with it, but for some reason I did not like it. That was 30 some years ago. I sold it to a fellow for what I had in it after a couple of weeks. That was one of those deals that I wish I had not done as I think they are collectable now. Then it was just a curiosity.

I never had any particular desire to own a Broomhandle. They look as though they would be clumsy to shoot.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've had them both. All gone now. Broomhandle is clumsy for sure. Luger was a jewel. Should have kept it.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I don't own a Luger but I shot one a few times years ago, Definitely a cool pistol and a milepost of semiauto pistol development.

[Linked Image]

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Bowling pin competition Armijo Spgs gathering 2016.

I was shooting my DWM 1914/ 1920 Versailles overstamp

( looks like a Seafire to my right!!! laugh )

[Linked Image]

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have an old Luger, nothing special like a WW2 version, but just a good shooter. It was a .30, but had a 9mm barrel installed and came with the .30 barrel, which I have never installed since ammo is more costly than 9mm. I rarely shoot it...it's mostly forgotten, but now that I see this thread, I will bring her out and shoot her!

Ken
V
viking Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
The artillery model would be neat to play with.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had one my father brought back from WWII, a 1913 Erfurt, but it was stolen in a burglary in 1981.

Pretty neat design, as a kid I always marveled at how cool - and easy - it was to take down into its individual parts. The trigger is a classic example of the German engineering mind - "I can make that with more moving parts than you can!"

I remember recoil and muzzle jump seemed to be high but the last time I shot it was as a teenager and not all that experienced with centerfire autos. It was accurate enough for can shooting but the bore was pitted badly due to using corrosive ammo and not cleaning it properly. My Dad liked it a lot and preferred carrying it during and after the war over his issued .45 Auto - he went over to Europe in November 1944 and didn't get home until sometime in 1946. Said he couldn't hit a barn door with the .45 but was pretty good with the Luger. He had a custom leather holster made for him by a released Polish POW but that went somewhere decades ago.

We would go to North Carolina every year to visit the old family farms and one day my dad and his brothers got together to do a little shooting at my Grandmother's place (his mother). They put up a couple of targets on the side of a small wooden storage shed and fired at those. He used the Luger and his brothers used some type of .38 revolver, this was in the late 50's so most likely a S&W M&P or Colt Police Positive. Anyway, they didn't stop to think that those shed walls wouldn't stop a 9mm FMJ bullet one bit so Dad ended up putting a bunch of holes in all of my Grandmother's big metal wash tubs and pails and such that were stored inside. She was pretty pissed at him for that. wink

Something in the trigger linkage broke or malfunctioned sometime after I last shot it in the late 60's and it wouldn't fire anymore so we just put it away, then some effing burglar got it some years later.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Back in the day the quick way to get the hunting camp kids to help with pretty well anything was to let them shoot your "cool" guns when they finished the job. It's how my friends and I got to shoot a Luger and a Broomhandle. The former is a nice to shoot piece-I bought one for myself years later. The broomhandle recoiled quite harshly. There isn't one in my safe.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Got a 1917 Artillery model in the family. GPa brought it back in '45. Don't have the shoulder stock extension for it, but do have everything else.

He went over yonder way
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i have a number of them, both luger and broomhandle, including the "red nine" broomhandle. WWII and WWI.
some have the wood holsters/and should stocks.
the artillery luger was issued to a artillery unit in the bayerische division, WWI. Hitler's division. What is interesting as much as anything is the head of the artillery unit at that time was a distant relative, you might say it came home.
It was most likely at the battle of the somme.
and i have a smith carried by a scotsman and killed at the same battle. it is documented to him.
so two handguns, two different sides of the fence.
The broomhandles shoot just fine. Assuming a safety modification was done. if that bolt stop breaks, it generally would hit you between the eyeballs.
I have never seen one, but some were select fire too.
the lugers were nice, but expensive to make and were not really good combat weapons in the mud of russia, with tha top spring coming back and getting jammed with mud etc.
the p38 which came next was a much superior weapon.
none of this stuff is cheap anymore, but the 32round mag and the loading device for it are particularly pricy.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 10/12/17.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
there were some that came into this country i want say in the early 2000 time frame, lugers. They were russian capture had the russian dip bath and X indicating capture. at the time about 275dollars.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Just my opinion..they are ugly looking and would not want to own one..
even for free

It was Jerry "Mad Dog" Shriver (SFC E-7)who said:
"No, no, I've got them right where I want them -- surrounded from the inside."

http://www.macvsog.cc/1969.htm
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Free is a pretty good price point for me, so long as it is not broken or suffering from an abnormal safety defect.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Over the years I have had both. Always wanted an Artillery Luger...May get one some day.

Luger triggers take some getting used to, and the recoil impulse is a bit weird. That action moves FAST! But they shoot VERY straight, and I think they're fun.

Broomhandles. I'll say this about them...they're damn reliable! WAY back in the '80's when I worked for a surplus importer we imported a couple of crates full of Broomhandles; probably about 3,000 pistols. They were anywhere from nearly new, but beat to crap. So we took a mechanically sound Broomhandle, and did our own version of a "torture" test against a WWII 1911, and it beat the crap out of the 1911 for reliability. And it's not like it was a crappy 1911 either...the 1911 did very well, but the Broomhandle did exceptionally well. Dirt, mud, and water is what we tested them against. It was finally trigger reset that took it out of action. I was pretty impressed. They are also very accurate pistols and I personally think they're fun to shoot. Always draw a crowd, that's for sure.

V
viking Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Originally Posted by Penobscot_99
Just my opinion..they are ugly looking and would not want to own one..
even for free

Haters gunna hate....

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Have a nice byf 41 with all the markings. Fun to shoot, but it's one gun I own that I'm glad it CAN"T talk.
[Linked Image]

"The older I get, the better I was"
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
It is one of my Bucket list guns.

Maybe Some day.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Always loved Lugers. I even recall the Luger squirt gun I had in the early '60's. In 1997 I was visiting an elderly uncle and we got to talking guns and he went and pulled a Luger out of his closet. A 1916 Erfurt. He was born in 1919, to a German family in Rochester NY, he was raised in a German American neighborhood in Rochester and grew up Bi-lingual ( Rochester even had a German language newspaper up until the late '50's- early 60's). He was a ground crewman for B-17's in England in WWII and in the spring of 1945 Uncle Sam was looking for servicemen who spoke German. Long story short -- As soon as Germany surrendered the U.S. went in and cleaned out the German V-2 Rocket factory at Nordhausen, Germany known as the Mittleworks at Nordhausen. He was there as a translator to communicate with all the Germans who had been hired to help out with packing the entire place up and shipping it here. He and another American walked into an office area of the factory that was completely intact. Even had a large glass display case on the wall with a Nazi parade flag and the Luger in it. A deal was made whereby my uncle got the Luger and the other guy got the flag. Unfortunately he never got capture papers for it. He said the war was over and suddenly nobody cared; G.I.'s were just grabbing souveniers everywhere. I inherited it in 2001 and while it's not mint, it functions well and has become one of those hand it down through the family heirloom guns.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a DWM German Luger that my father sent home from Germany during WWII.
Most of my life it has been my most 'prized possession'.

It came in a leather military holster with buckled flap, takedown tool, and extra magazine.
Also in the 'stash' is a leather shoulder holster with straps that I shortened to fit my 11 year old frame.
Also included, is a beautiful leather 'Western Cowboy' style holster, made especially for a German Luger.

Lot's of other 'treasures' in that duffle bag - A beautiful engraved Luftwaffe dress dagger, fancy sheath and tassel, a chromed blade German bayonet, and cased German war medals.
I started shooting my Luger (surreptitiously) when I was still in grade school as my father stayed in the Army after the War and didn't come home.

Still proud of him though - - My mother always spoke well of him . . .

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

726 members (16gage, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 69 invisible), 2,556 guests, and 1,371 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,842
Posts18,478,152
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.