Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Anybody using one of these? They appear awful nice. Wonder how they shoot?

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
No experience with them other than looking them over but if it is a Cooper it will shoot. I think they still have their accuracy guarantee and will provide targets to prove it. May be rumor but ask what the range was on the test targets, the rumor was they were at 50 yards which is fine as long as they don't say it was at 100.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
50 yards, and indoors IIRC.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thats exactly how I shoot all my animals!!!

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Is it me or is that thing fugly?

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Badass rifles...very light and it's a Cooper so it'll shoot better then most guys are capable of.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I wouldn't get too wrapped up in the test target being shot at 50yds. From what I've seen for test targets they are all one hole groups. So doubling the group size to get to 100yds is still going to produce a tiny group.

As far as indoors vs outdoors. Which would give a better indication of how the rifle will shoot?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
More a marketing ploy than anything. I've got a .221 Fireball Cooper with one of those laminated targets and there is no mention of the distance that they shot it. I looked into it once and I thought it was like at 34 yards in an underground tunnel if I remember right. A nice rifle though.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I read 35 yards.

LOL
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I always have to chuckle when folks get in an uproar over the Cooper test target.

First lets deal with some facts - when Cooper was in their old facility the targets were shot a slightly less than 50 yds, in the new facility the targets are shot at a measured 50 yds. The targets are shot in an indoor range off of sandbags using a 36X Leupold. Why am I so sure of this? Because I have been in the shooting range in both the old and new facilities.

Secondly Cooper guarantees their centerfires to shoot 1/2" three shot groups at 100 yds, it really doesn't matter what the test target looks like - the guarantee is in their literature, posted on their website and they back it up, if the rifle doesn't shoot to guarantee they fix it.

Thirdly -I have owned quite a few Coopers, both centerfire and rimfire and have never had one that did not meet the accuracy guarantee and with most of mine I have shot groups at 100 yds as small as the test target.

Fourth - Most shooters assume that because the rifle is capable of shooting 1/2" groups that they can shoot 1/2" groups - the fact is that to shoot consistent 1/2" groups there is more required than just the rifle.

IMO they are hard to beat for a dollar value, particularly if one shops carefully gently used ones can be found at reasonable prices for a semi-custom guaranteed shooter.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by drover
I always have to chuckle when folks get in an uproar over the Cooper test target.

First lets deal with some facts - when Cooper was in their old facility the targets were shot a slightly less than 50 yds, in the new facility the targets are shot at a measured 50 yds. The targets are shot in an indoor range off of sandbags using a 36X Leupold. Why am I so sure of this? Because I have been in the shooting range in both the old and new facilities.

Secondly Cooper guarantees their centerfires to shoot 1/2" three shot groups at 100 yds, it really doesn't matter what the test target looks like - the guarantee is in their literature, posted on their website and they back it up, if the rifle doesn't shoot to guarantee they fix it.

Thirdly -I have owned quite a few Coopers, both centerfire and rimfire and have never had one that did not meet the accuracy guarantee and with most of mine I have shot groups at 100 yds as small as the test target.

Fourth - Most shooters assume that because the rifle is capable of shooting 1/2" groups that they can shoot 1/2" groups - the fact is that to shoot consistent 1/2" groups there is more required than just the rifle.

IMO they are hard to beat for a dollar value, particularly if one shops carefully gently used ones can be found at reasonable prices for a semi-custom guaranteed shooter.

drover

Well said. The rifles do what they claim in the accuracy department. Count me as another satisfied repeat customer.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by jdunham
Originally Posted by drover

drover

Well said. The rifles do what they claim in the accuracy department. Count me as another satisfied repeat customer.

Another satisfied repeat customer here!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Windfall
More a marketing ploy than anything. I've got a .221 Fireball Cooper with one of those laminated targets and there is no mention of the distance that they shot it. I looked into it once and I thought it was like at 34 yards in an underground tunnel if I remember right. A nice rifle though.

How accurate is your rifle?

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1beaver_shooter, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,456 guests, and 1,350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,446
Posts18,470,944
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.