Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by deflave
Chronograph should be the first thing a reloader buys.

Max loads out of a given book don't mean schit.

Clark

This in spades. Back in the early '70s i went to the trouble of designing and building a chronograph because the manuals were not half as good as they are now. When I am working uploads I never do it without the chrony. 9 times out of ten I am not at all concerned that the numbers meet some expectation. What I need is to see that the numbers are somewhere reasonable, and move reasonably.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
First thing to buy, but last thing to use once developing a load...

get what is accurate..

then use to chrono to see what kind of velocity its giving you...

I prefer that, over chasing velocity, then trying to make the load accurate...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Seafire,

Why do testing for accuracy and velocity have to mutually exclusive? It's easy to test both simultaneously.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Seafire,

Why do testing for accuracy and velocity have to mutually exclusive? It's easy to test both simultaneously.

Having received loading data from John (Seafire) on a couple occasions in the past it's pretty clear to me he does do both simultaneously. I would guess what he meant by that post is that he doesn't worry about the chrono during a workup. I think like me he is keeping an eye on the chrono for unexpected results.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I always start out shooting through the chrono to see how the loads are comparing with the data that they are based on. My goal is always to get a good compromise between factory standard for velocity and accuracy. The winner may not be the fastest nor the absolutely most accurate. It needs to satisfy whatever standard I have in my mind for the intended purpose.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I always use the chronograph when working up a load. As charges go up, so does velocity in a general linear pattern. Should something change in that pattern especially at or near maximum, then that's a good sign that it's time to back down a bit. So if say you're getting an average of 50 FPS per grain raise and the next reading is maybe 20 FPS higher rather than the 50 average, maybe a big 150 FPS jump up and even no change at all. You're at or past the safe max for that rifle. Time to back off a bit. it's worked for me for years so I see no reason to change.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

439 members (219 Wasp, 22kHornet, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 16penny, 16gage, 51 invisible), 2,534 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,625
Posts18,492,843
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.