Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
C
OP Offline
C
Here's a question that's been bugging me, thought I would throw it out on the table for discussion.

If a clean, honest citizen, say his name was...Sam, was at the concert and the shooter in the hotel starts shooting at the masses...if Sam finds, comes upon, or goes back to his vehicle and gets a standard deer hunting rifle and takes aim at the illegal shooter up in the tower of the hotel and shoots him, from the area where all the other concert attendees are standing around, and shoots the sniper either dead or wounds him enough to incapacitate him.

Now, upon those actions would Sam be liable for any legal infringement, broken laws, illegal shooting, shooting someone, or would the justice/legal/court system find Sam to be free and clear of any illegal actions?

The question: did Sam (who is basically any American 100% legal citizen that had a deer rifle in his vehicle and he retrieved it and shot the sniper in the hotel) break any laws or is Sam now a national hero. (legally speaking, not just in opinion.)

This is a serious question and one that I think merits discussion.

Last edited by CooperWilder; 10/13/17.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Shooter would sue him

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
If it were my state's DNR, they'd ticket him for hunting at night.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I guess it depends on where Sam lives.

He stopped someone committing a felony, which in many places allows the use of deadly force.

Out here in AZ, he would be hailed as a hero. If Sam did that in MA, maybe not.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sam will get killed by the backup before he ever gets up there to shoot the corpse. That or the team itself will shoot him. Get real. These guys are well trained.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
He's good if he has one of those Terrorist Hunting Permits on the back window of his F250.

LOL
C
OP Offline
C
ah...but if it's expired, then what? wink

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Legal question, and a good answer would come from a real attorney.

FWIW, as I read Utah law, returning fire to save lives would be a protected act. Sam would also be protected if one of his shots accidentally hit an innocent bystander. No idea about Nevada law.

Be not weary in well doing.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I am assuming that by going to his car...Sam was no longer in imminent danger. But his actions saved lives and stopped a mass shooting. In criminal court, and depending on the State the event took place, I think the court would side with Sam.

If it then became a civil suit, I still think Sam would win, however, it would probably cost him his life savings and then some to fight it.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by CooperWilder
Here's a question that's been bugging me, thought I would throw it out on the table for discussion.

If a clean, honest citizen, say his name was...Sam, was at the concert and the shooter in the hotel starts shooting at the masses...if Sam finds, comes upon, or goes back to his vehicle and gets a standard deer hunting rifle and takes aim at the illegal shooter up in the tower of the hotel and shoots him, from the area where all the other concert attendees are standing around, and shoots the sniper either dead or wounds him enough to incapacitate him.

Now, upon those actions would Sam be liable for any legal infringement, broken laws, illegal shooting, shooting someone, or would the justice/legal/court system find Sam to be free and clear of any illegal actions?

The question: did Sam (who is basically any American 100% legal citizen that had a deer rifle in his vehicle and he retrieved it and shot the sniper in the hotel) break any laws or is Sam now a national hero. (legally speaking, not just in opinion.)

This is a serious question and one that I think merits discussion.
I can’t see any laws broken. Certainly none that aren’t excused under the doctrine of necessity. This very thing occurred during the famous clock tower sniper situation. Folks pulled scoped deer rifles out of their trunks and pinned him down, limiting his ability to shoot back. It likely saved many lives.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Sam will get killed by the backup before he ever gets up there to shoot the corpse. That or the team itself will shoot him. Get real. These guys are well trained.

Yep...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Providing that Sam wasn't mistakenly killed by the police or some other citizen, I doubt a prosecutor in America would charge him. He would be a hero on Fox and you wouldn't hear a thing about him on CNN or MSNBC.

Times have changed. When Charles Whitman opened up from the tower in Austin several people soon began returning fire from personal rifles carried in their rigs. There are videos showing the bullet strikes from that return fire. And instead of waiting for SWAT teams since there weren't any back then, a civilian and three police officers went up there to get him, although only two of the officers actually shot him.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In 1966 at the University of Texas a guy was shooting people from the tower. People on the ground returned fire and kept the shooter ducking. If my memory serves me correctly a group made their way up the tower and eventually killed the shooter. I think there was one that wasn't a Law Enforcement Officer. The news videos of the time showed people that had rifles in their vehicles returning fire. The people were seen as doing what needed to be done and the police weren't equipped any better to deal with a shooter in that position.

Jim you beat me!

Last edited by Mathsr; 10/13/17. Reason: added info

Harry
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The question boils down to a DA and a jury. Would a DA seek charges, and would a jury convict? This legal system is still a "We, the People" system, even though the government likes to pretend otherwise.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
He'd definitely be breaking some laws but if he stopped Paddock mid-rampage I don't believe any jury would convict him.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

LOL, "get real." Thanks for the laugh.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Depends on Los Vegas laws.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Mathsr
In 1966 at the University of Texas a guy was shooting people from the tower. People on the ground returned fire and kept the shooter ducking. If my memory serves me correctly a group made their way up the tower and eventually killed the shooter. I think there was one that wasn't a Law Enforcement Officer. The news videos of the time showed people that had rifles in their vehicles returning fire. The people were seen as doing what needed to be done and the police weren't equipped any better to deal with a shooter in that position.

Jim you beat me!

And I beat you and Jim both.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep. I missed your post completely.

My wife asked me if anyone had shot back at the guy in Vegas and if they had could they have hit him. I told her about the Tower shooter and how many lives were possibly saved by him having to take cover, even when the possibility of him getting hit was low. Lives could have likely been saved in the Vegas shooting too, had someone been able to return fire.

Harry
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Curt Russel was in the movie I think.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (Big1bud, beefan, 300_savage, BangPop, 907brass, 6 invisible), 1,424 guests, and 828 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,591
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.