Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I am getting ready to buy a complete outfit for deer hunting in Maine and Georgia. Temp vary from 70- 0. 100% waterproof Most hunting is from stands and I can not stand being cold.

I want the best from base layers to out wear as this will probably be my last new outfit as I am getting up their in age.

They both look like the best product money can buy but not sure which one will work best for me.

Your thoughts

Looking to spend around 1500 for everything.

GB1

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Kuiu run small and are not made for big guys. I'm very happy with my all of my Sitka gear.

I do love the Kuiu bnio pack and the Sirka harness. They don't bounce around like the other mfgs.

FWIW the Kuiu packs also don't fit me well- I prefer Kifaru.

Last edited by Tony_Soprano; 10/13/17.
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tony is correct that kuiu is an athletic cut. I love all my Kuiu gear and the attack pants are a must!

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
It's 92 today in GA. Bring your swimsuit.

Just got back from elk hunt in NM and a lot of guys I saw were wearing Kuiu, only one Sitka.

Nice to know Kuiu is not for "big" guys, which would describe me. I was getting ready to order some. Work out 4x per week and weigh 275...more middle linebacker (my position early on) than wide receiver. Guess I won't be ordering then.

Did you know the Kuiu guy used to own Sitka, sold it?

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I'm a Sitka fan. It's really first-rate, but it's also tailored for slimmer guys. Don't buy it if you can't try it on first.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’m not really sure you’re looking at the right brands. Kuiu and Sitka are made mostly for hiking/backpacking in mountainous terrain. While each make rain gear and insulating layers, I’m not sure I’d pick them for whitetail hunting in wet climates. YMMV.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by bellydeep
I’m not really sure you’re looking at the right brands. Kuiu and Sitka are made mostly for hiking/backpacking in mountainous terrain. While each make rain gear and insulating layers, I’m not sure I’d pick them for whitetail hunting in wet climates. YMMV.

This. I've got a set of KUIU, which I love, but it's not what you're looking for if stand sitting in colder weather is your game.

Oh, and believe it or not, deer bite. Fairly hard.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

To answer your question, KUIU is better hands down.

That does not mean it will work for you.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bellydeep

I dunno, the Sitka Incinerator and Blizzard series look like they'd keep you pretty warm and dry...but they are expensive.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I like the Kuiu pants, their shirts not as much. Haven't tried Sitka.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by okie john
I'm a Sitka fan. It's really first-rate, but it's also tailored for slimmer guys. Don't buy it if you can't try it on first.
Okie John

^^^This^^^

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I would suggest neither. Get yourself some Patagonia Caplene underwear if you want to stay warm. Heavyweight if just sitting on your bottom in a blind.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
First Lite

The expert at anything was once a beginner.

JC
TDN Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For Maine and GA... neither. I own a mix of both, and love em. But some good base layers (Patagonia, above) and wool/synthetic middles and Cabelas/Carhart style outers and maybe a good rain shell and you'll be set. And have good $$ left over.

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
For Georgia temps either Kuiu or Sitka will work fine. The problem will be the sizing. Kuiu runs small. Sitka can run small especially through the shoulders but it's more hit or miss from garment to garment.

For cold weather stand hunting it would be Sitka hands down. But once again you might have to size up a lot for a proper fit. For example I'm 5'11", 178 lbs. with broad shoulders and sometimes I have to buy XXL Sitka jackets.

Another company to consider is First Lite. It's quality is similar to Kuiu and Sitka but it's sizing is much more consistent. For cold weather hunting their Sanctuary line is hard to beat.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
0 degrees?

First Lite Sanctuary. But I've never felt the need to be "uniformed up" with matching attire from head-to-toe, underwear to outerwear.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
If you want more confusion, check out the new Pnuma brand hunting clothes.

I bought a set recently, but still have not had an opportunity to try it out. I like the way it looks and feels, but time will tell.

donsm70

PS. I have both Sitka and Kuiu, but wanted to try Pnuma. I have worn more Sitka to date.

Last edited by donsm70; 10/14/17.

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Zero degrees. No problem if you layer properly. Wool baselayers and down or good synthetic middle layers. One thing I used last year and loved was the 400 gram Woolpower union suit. I think it's still on sale at Alex Outdoors for $200 which is a great deal. I liked this so much that I used it for the rest of the winter while steelhead fishing.

Last edited by trf215; 10/14/17.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd look at Cabela's MT 050 for strand deer hunting in cold weather.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (1minute, 204guy, 160user, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 1234, 58 invisible), 1,910 guests, and 1,097 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,901
Posts18,498,123
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.