Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
C
OP Offline
C
the point was, not an illegal weapon. so as to keep the question relatively simple, vs complicating it with a fully auto AR with a wildcat cartridge with a silencer etc etc. that's why.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
To expand on my earlier comment, here in Utah Sam would be acting legally, whether or not he was in any immediate personal danger. There is a set of violent felonies such as murder, rape, and arson that justify deadly force by a citizen protecting others. The same law excuses shots that go astray and harm an innocent person.

Be not weary in well doing.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by kellory
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
He would be OK legally. It would really be no different than someone with a CCW shooting a robber about to kill a convenience store clerk. Besides, no prosecutor would bring it to a grand jury, and no grand jury would indict him.

The legal system in this country IS screwed up, but I don't think it's that screwed up.

No, it would not be the same as a CCW. here thst is known as a concealed PISTOL permit, and would not be needed as an open carry rifle. I do know if I served on the jury, I would not convict, even if the existing law said "guilty". (Most folks don't truly understand the power of the jury.)

My point was that the CCW was in possession of a legal weapon as was the deer hunter. Neither are under a legal obligation to play cop and confront someone bent upon murder, but are quite justified in doing so in order to prevent it. In that regard the two circumstances are analogous.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My CCL Instructor said that we would not be liable for damages from passed thru bullets but would be liable for damages caused by our misses.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by curdog4570
My CCL Instructor said that we would not be liable for damages from passed thru bullets but would be liable for damages caused by our misses.

Maybe your state is different, but the common law rule is that if the shooting is justified, near misses that inflict harm to bystanders are not criminally or civilly actionable.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by denton
To expand on my earlier comment,

Expound, not expand.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by denton
To expand on my earlier comment,

Expound, not expand.

Either works.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Best way to keep that from happening is to keep the misses away from the rifle. grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by PJGunner
"Out here in AZ, he would be hailed as a hero."

Don't bet the farm on that. Not in Pima County anyway.
Paul B.

One of the many reasons we left Tucson, and Pima county. Getting pretty weird up there.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The premise of this hypothetical situation is very unlikely. That a private citizen with a rifle would be able to identify a target in a multi story hotel from several hundred yards away is very unlikely. Notwithstanding the broken windows I seriously doubt a trained law enforcement officer could have acquired the target in this situation. The darkness, noise, and confusion would have worked against him. Not to mention shooting high power rifle fire into a crowded hotel. As to the question of legal liability, of course "Sam" wouldn't be legally liable or wrong if he could pull it off, but the only reasonable way to engage a shooter like this is from inside the hotel.
I have often wondered why nobody seems to have even a snub nose .38 when somebody goes on a close quarters shooting rampage as in Gabby Giffords, Luby's Cafeteria, Sandyhook Elementary School,etc. That is all it would take to end that kind of nonsense. A long range shootout with a sniper barricaded in a crowded hotel is pretty sticky situation. I have a good bit of law enforcement firearms training (no military),frequently target practice at long ranges, and hunt feral hogs at night a lot, but I would not have shot into that hotel without a very clear target and a very steady rest.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Now how could it get weird with Raul protecting you????????

Fourth Generation Border Rat
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Walter Mitty would have done it.

IF you had said rifle, say a scoped 30-06, had enough skill to really hit at 500 yards uphill, didn't get taken down by a panicked crowd or any other good guy or LE, could really spot the right window, and could be certain of not making an error, maybe the guy would still be mostly or completely shielded by the wall in front of him.

Most of us honest citizens (I hope I fit the bill) would help other people get over walls, behind something, or do whatever first aid we know. That is what we see every time there is an opportunity, be it a shooter, flood, hurricane, or car accident. Sometimes TV even spots the "hero".

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Hastings
The premise of this hypothetical situation is very unlikely. That a private citizen with a rifle would be able to identify a target in a multi story hotel from several hundred yards away is very unlikely. Notwithstanding the broken windows I seriously doubt a trained law enforcement officer could have acquired the target in this situation. The darkness, noise, and confusion would have worked against him. Not to mention shooting high power rifle fire into a crowded hotel. As to the question of legal liability, of course "Sam" wouldn't be legally liable or wrong if he could pull it off, but the only reasonable way to engage a shooter like this is from inside the hotel.
I have often wondered why nobody seems to have even a snub nose .38 when somebody goes on a close quarters shooting rampage as in Gabby Giffords, Luby's Cafeteria, Sandyhook Elementary School,etc. That is all it would take to end that kind of nonsense. A long range shootout with a sniper barricaded in a crowded hotel is pretty sticky situation. I have a good bit of law enforcement firearms training (no military),frequently target practice at long ranges, and hunt feral hogs at night a lot, but I would not have shot into that hotel without a very clear target and a very steady rest.

Even the half drunk retards taking direct fire isolated the shots coming from the hotel in a matter of minutes. It would be no trick to access a rifle, close 100-200 yds of distance and return fire effectively.

That very thing happened with the Charles Whitman shooting.

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by CooperWilder

The question: did Sam (who is basically any American 100% legal citizen that had a deer rifle in his vehicle and he retrieved it and shot the sniper in the hotel) break any laws or is Sam now a national hero. (legally speaking, not just in opinion.)

No he did not.

Yes he would be.

Dave

Okay, 'Flave, I am sure you are correct as regards the USA. But my personal opinion is "Sam" would be totally screwed by both civil and criminal courts were this scenario to take place in Chicago, NY City, Wa DC, and perhaps several other modern bastions of Communism.

I know at least one (and perhaps a couple more) gentleman who could have easily made Paddock duck for cover if not kill him outright from his seat in the venue with his daily carry N frame Smith. Yes from 400 yds plus. But alas, he was not there. Nor do I know if a person can get a CCW into the venue.

Heck, give me ten minutes, and a pocket full of ammo, I could walk a few rounds into his window with my 657. Only problem would be the hotel patrons behind the other windows I would break with the first three or four rounds acquiring the proper hold. It usually takes me about three sighters to hit a badger mound at 400 to 600 yds. Paddock's window was at least as large as a badger mound.

Now here is a thought. Was the concert a "gun free zone"? Were metal detectors present? Might be the perfect time for gun shot victims to sue the promoters for failing to protect them while denying them the ability of self defense.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by kennyd

IF you had said rifle, say a scoped 30-06, had enough skill to really hit at 500 yards uphill, didn't get taken down by a panicked crowd or any other good guy or LE, could really spot the right window, and could be certain of not making an error, maybe the guy would still be mostly or completely shielded by the wall in front of him.

Most of us honest citizens (I hope I fit the bill) would help other people get over walls, behind something, or do whatever first aid we know. That is what we see every time there is an opportunity, be it a shooter, flood, hurricane, or car accident. Sometimes TV even spots the "hero".

I think something a lot of people miss is that you don't have to be part of the target area to bring resolution to a situation.

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by CooperWilder

The question: did Sam (who is basically any American 100% legal citizen that had a deer rifle in his vehicle and he retrieved it and shot the sniper in the hotel) break any laws or is Sam now a national hero. (legally speaking, not just in opinion.)

No he did not.

Yes he would be.

Dave

Okay, 'Flave, I am sure you are correct as regards the USA. But my personal opinion is "Sam" would be totally screwed by both civil and criminal courts were this scenario to take place in Chicago, NY City, Wa DC, and perhaps several other modern bastions of Communism.

I know at least one (and perhaps a couple more) gentleman who could have easily made Paddock duck for cover if not kill him outright from his seat in the venue with his daily carry N frame Smith. Yes from 400 yds plus. But alas, he was not there. Nor do I know if a person can get a CCW into the venue.

Heck, give me ten minutes, and a pocket full of ammo, I could walk a few rounds into his window with my 657. Only problem would be the hotel patrons behind the other windows I would break with the first three or four rounds acquiring the proper hold. It usually takes me about three sighters to hit a badger mound at 400 to 600 yds. Paddock's window was at least as large as a badger mound.

Now here is a thought. Was the concert a "gun free zone"? Were metal detectors present? Might be the perfect time for gun shot victims to sue the promoters for failing to protect them while denying them the ability of self defense.

Seriously?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

Yes. I am also capable of hitting targets at those ranges with a sidearm. However I don't know that I'd "walk" a few 260gr Keith's to my primary target zone if my primary target zone was in a hotel. I also don't know that I'd open fire from inside the venue. And I am relatively sure "walking" my rounds up a hotel will be substantially more difficult without a spotter, and without the good earth telling me where my rounds are hitting.

But again, this is people assuming you have to be part of the target area to bring resolution to a situation. You don't.

Clark

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Hastings

Don't think I can agree with most of this. 'Tis pretty easy to spot muzzle flash from nearly automatic fire. And all the hunters I personally know keep their hunting scopes zeroed for 300 yds. Mine are set at 350 yds.

If you are not prepared to kill game at 400 yds in the country I hunt, your freezer will remain empty nine years out of ten. And, of course field expedient rests are the norm. It seems to me that 75% of Idaho and Eastern Oregon deer hunters are better prepared to take a 400 yd shot than 95% of LEOs. With the exception of SWAT team snipers.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I would surmise, if a large crown were experiencing gun fire, any (Hero) pulling his Smith biggobangmuthafugga, would be summarily stomped to death by the crowd thinking Hero was the shooter.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Mathsr
In 1966 at the University of Texas a guy was shooting people from the tower. People on the ground returned fire and kept the shooter ducking. If my memory serves me correctly a group made their way up the tower and eventually killed the shooter.

There's a lot of difference between Texas in 1966 and now! Like has happened in many states, lots of people moved there and changed a good bit of the culture and politics.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

128 members (35, arky65, 240NMC, 10Glocks, afisher, 9 invisible), 1,512 guests, and 813 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,601
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.