Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
This Japanese doctor from Saporro Japan, has made some really interesting videos over the past seven years covering his hunting and fishing in the mountains of Hokkaido Japan, about a 6-8 hour drive from his home in Saporro. He is also a knife looney and has an interesting way to field dress his kill. This particular video shows a tremendous cross valley bang flop shot on a large Sika Stag.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
That's an interesting video. I had no idea they hunted in Japan like this.

an interesting way to field dress his kill
That's exatly how I do my field dressing.

He did a good job of getting the tenderloin too.

Thanks for sharing!

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very interesting video. The guy is not only a good shot, but also knows how to field-dress such an animal. The end of the video was a very good review of the Elmax knive used.

Last edited by Ray; 10/14/17.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
He simply did the gutless method, which is what most out west do....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
That's how I have cleaned deer and hogs all my life.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pretty cool..... Thanks for posting. I'm another who had no idea they had hunting like that in Japan.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by GregW

This.

It's nice for bigger animals since you don't have to work around a gut pile that would fill a 55-gallon drum.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by okie john

This.

It's nice for bigger animals since you don't have to work around a gut pile that would fill a 55-gallon drum.

Okie John

There is that but also I have to cut him up to fit in a pack, I don't carry a gambrel when I'm hunting, and most tend to be a bit off a road...grin...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interesting to see what hunting is like in Japan.

Thanks for posting.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Their crows speak Japanese.

That guy's done that before a time or two.

Black Cows Matter!
IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
There is that but also I have to cut him up to fit in a pack, I don't carry a gambrel when I'm hunting, and most tend to be a bit off a road...grin...

Yep. The best part is that you don't have to pack out stuff that you'd normally leave behind. It can be a drag if you want the heart and liver, though....

Okie John

If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting, and that knife's edge impressed me.

The gutless is the way to go no doubt, but I don't know about simply cutting off muscle groups off the hams. I hate how it dries out and then you have to trim so much off. The Backstrap and Tloins I do exactly as he does, but I take the quarters out with the main bone left in. It adds weight no doubt, but it is worth it to not deal with so much dried and browned meat.

I am glad to see that I am not the only one who gets hair all over though, no matter how hard I try!

Okie, scraping the meat and cartilage at the very bottom of a rib bone (where it attaches to the sternum) with a knife exposes a round "joint"...which you can then pull up (or out) to get a rib out of the way to get to the heart and liver. If you carry a hatchet or if a rock is handy, it ain't hard to break a couple ribs either to get past them, even on an elk.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I take quarters off, and leave hide on when it's cool out. Keeps the pack a bit cleaner and you can break apart a buck rather quickly when you are dealing with longer pack outs and short days.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
This guy, who goes by the name virtuovice on YouTube, is pretty well known in the knife community. Apparently, if you're a resident of Japan, you can pretty much kill as many deer as you want due to overpopulation. Virtuovice has posted hundreds of knife reviews and will go out and shoot a deer just to test a new knife. His knife sharpening videos are excellent as well.

Originally Posted by RED53
Some shooting knowledge: Don't stand in front of the muzzle. Some hunting knowledge: Too much noise ruins the hunt.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
We actually have Sitka deer on Maryland eastern shore, a much smaller deer than the one shot in the video. The deer escaped from a 1912 shipwreck and have called the Chesapeake Bay marsh country home ever since. The little deer are actually part of the Elk family, Their peak breeding is the full moon in October and they actually bugle in the doe's. I have killed a few doe's but never a stag...yet.

In the heavy marsh grass you can actually walk up on them bedded and shoot them like rabbits on the run......with buckshot of course.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore
We actually have Sitka deer on Maryland eastern shore, a much smaller deer than the one shot in the video. The deer escaped from a 1912 shipwreck and have called the Chesapeake Bay marsh country home ever since. The little deer are actually part of the Elk family, Their peak breeding is the full moon in October and they actually bugle in the doe's. I have killed a few doe's but never a stag...yet.

In the heavy marsh grass you can actually walk up on them bedded and shoot them like rabbits on the run......with buckshot of course.

To be clear and avoid confusion, these are Sika deer, not Sitka deer.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Enjoyed it. Thanks for posting.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Gasman
Apparently, if you're a resident of Japan, you can pretty much kill as many deer as you want due to overpopulation.

Anyone know what it takes to get a rifle over there?

Okie John

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by okie john
. . .
Anyone know what it takes to get a rifle over there?

Okie John

10 years hunting with a shotgun, then you qualify to purchase a rifle. He just bought a Sauer 404 for about $3,500. Has a few videos on it in Japanese. On his Japanese videos he goes by JPSikaHunter.

He retrieves the Barnes bullet in this on just posted this hunting season.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Wow, he speaks pretty good Japanese for an Air Force Tech Sergeant....like his videos though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1234, 16gage, 06hunter59, 58 invisible), 2,339 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,402
Posts18,470,144
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.