Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

Okay, 'Flave, I am sure you are correct as regards the USA. But my personal opinion is "Sam" would be totally screwed by both civil and criminal courts were this scenario to take place in Chicago, NY City, Wa DC, and perhaps several other modern bastions of Communism.

I know at least one (and perhaps a couple more) gentleman who could have easily made Paddock duck for cover if not kill him outright from his seat in the venue with his daily carry N frame Smith. Yes from 400 yds plus. But alas, he was not there. Nor do I know if a person can get a CCW into the venue.

Heck, give me ten minutes, and a pocket full of ammo, I could walk a few rounds into his window with my 657. Only problem would be the hotel patrons behind the other windows I would break with the first three or four rounds acquiring the proper hold. It usually takes me about three sighters to hit a badger mound at 400 to 600 yds. Paddock's window was at least as large as a badger mound.

Now here is a thought. Was the concert a "gun free zone"? Were metal detectors present? Might be the perfect time for gun shot victims to sue the promoters for failing to protect them while denying them the ability of self defense.

Yes. I am also capable of hitting targets at those ranges with a sidearm. However I don't know that I'd "walk" a few 260gr Keith's to my primary target zone if my primary target zone was in a hotel. I also don't know that I'd open fire from inside the venue. And I am relatively sure "walking" my rounds up a hotel will be substantially more difficult without a spotter, and without the good earth telling me where my rounds are hitting.

But again, this is people assuming you have to be part of the target area to bring resolution to a situation. You don't.

Clark
i have my dope taped to the stock of my rifle, even guess yardage wouldn't be off by much.

That's great but he was referencing handguns.

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
probably not luck, i had no problem hitting beer cans at a 100 yards with my 357 blackhawk.

I can hit them fairly regularly at 75 yards with my Glock 10mm and my GLOCK .357 Sig. And I've got a 10 inch steel plate at 100 yards at my range at the Ranch that I can usually hit 4 out of 6 times with most of my .44 mag handguns.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

Okay, 'Flave, I am sure you are correct as regards the USA. But my personal opinion is "Sam" would be totally screwed by both civil and criminal courts were this scenario to take place in Chicago, NY City, Wa DC, and perhaps several other modern bastions of Communism.

I know at least one (and perhaps a couple more) gentleman who could have easily made Paddock duck for cover if not kill him outright from his seat in the venue with his daily carry N frame Smith. Yes from 400 yds plus. But alas, he was not there. Nor do I know if a person can get a CCW into the venue.

Heck, give me ten minutes, and a pocket full of ammo, I could walk a few rounds into his window with my 657. Only problem would be the hotel patrons behind the other windows I would break with the first three or four rounds acquiring the proper hold. It usually takes me about three sighters to hit a badger mound at 400 to 600 yds. Paddock's window was at least as large as a badger mound.

Now here is a thought. Was the concert a "gun free zone"? Were metal detectors present? Might be the perfect time for gun shot victims to sue the promoters for failing to protect them while denying them the ability of self defense.

Yes. I am also capable of hitting targets at those ranges with a sidearm. However I don't know that I'd "walk" a few 260gr Keith's to my primary target zone if my primary target zone was in a hotel. I also don't know that I'd open fire from inside the venue. And I am relatively sure "walking" my rounds up a hotel will be substantially more difficult without a spotter, and without the good earth telling me where my rounds are hitting.

But again, this is people assuming you have to be part of the target area to bring resolution to a situation. You don't.

Clark
i have my dope taped to the stock of my rifle, even guess yardage wouldn't be off by much.

That's great but he was referencing handguns.

Clark

10-4

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Kids play.

You Texans have much to learn.

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
my dad was state champ silhouette shooter back in the 80s, use to be amazed watching him hit those rams at 500 meters with an open sighted colt python.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
We'll never mind then. Grin.

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Well*

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
my dad was state champ silhouette shooter back in the 80s, use to be amazed watching him hit those rams at 500 meters with an open sighted colt python.

That really helped my hangun skills too, Roger. We'd shoot the chickens at 200 yards with an open sighted revolver in a match shoot off if their were any tied scores. Free hand standing with a old RUGER Super Blackhawk .44 mag really sharpened my skills.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
probably not luck, i had no problem hitting beer cans at a 100 yards with my 357 blackhawk.

Yeah, with a good, medium framed, .357 Magnum, with some kind of support, it wouldn’t be all that challenging for someone familiar with his weapon.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Uhhh, a G17 will get it done offhand.

You won't score 10 out of 10 but you also don't want to be the beer can.

Dave

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by CooperWilder
Here's a question that's been bugging me, thought I would throw it out on the table for discussion.

If a clean, honest citizen, say his name was...Sam, was at the concert and the shooter in the hotel starts shooting at the masses...if Sam finds, comes upon, or goes back to his vehicle and gets a standard deer hunting rifle and takes aim at the illegal shooter up in the tower of the hotel and shoots him, from the area where all the other concert attendees are standing around, and shoots the sniper either dead or wounds him enough to incapacitate him.

Now, upon those actions would Sam be liable for any legal infringement, broken laws, illegal shooting, shooting someone, or would the justice/legal/court system find Sam to be free and clear of any illegal actions?

The question: did Sam (who is basically any American 100% legal citizen that had a deer rifle in his vehicle and he retrieved it and shot the sniper in the hotel) break any laws or is Sam now a national hero. (legally speaking, not just in opinion.)

This is a serious question and one that I think merits discussion.

He'd not only be okay, he'd be a hero...if he survived, which would be understandably doubtful in Charlie foxtrot like this. But let's be realistic. There just aren't that many hero's in real time.

Bruce Willis (Die Hard) woulda got r done.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Dave

No doubt. I have a harder time doing it with my 9mm vs my 10mm & 357 sig Glocks. I have to use a little bit of sight elevation with the 9mm, whereas with the 10mm & 357 sig I can aim dead on.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by ironbender
Here's a question that's been bugging me, thought I would throw it out on the table for discussion.

If a clean, honest citizen, say his name was...Sam, was at the concert and the shooter in the hotel starts shooting at the masses...if Sam finds, comes upon, or goes back to his vehicle and gets a standard deer hunting rifle and takes aim at the illegal shooter up in the tower of the hotel and shoots him, from the area where all the other concert attendees are standing around, and shoots the sniper either dead or wounds him enough to incapacitate him.

Now, upon those actions would Sam be liable for any legal infringement, broken laws, illegal shooting, shooting someone, or would the justice/legal/court system find Sam to be free and clear of any illegal actions?

The question: did Sam (who is basically any American 100% legal citizen that had a deer rifle in his vehicle and he retrieved it and shot the sniper in the hotel) break any laws or is Sam now a national hero. (legally speaking, not just in opinion.)

He'd not only be okay, he'd be a hero...if he survived, which would be understandably doubtful in Charlie foxtrot like this. But let's be realistic. There just aren't that many hero's in real time.

Originally Posted by ironbender

Yippee Ki Yay MF !!!

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Dave

No doubt. I have a harder time doing it with my 9mm vs my 10mm & 357 sig Glocks. I have to use a little bit of sight elevation with the 9mm, whereas with the 10mm & 357 sig I can aim dead on.

I may incorporate a handgun competition into the 'flave invitational. Would be fun.

Clark

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Flame, talk to Elmer about this.. He will have some pointers, but only for .44 shooters.. Great idea though!!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
WCH,

Love me some N-Frame. LOVE.

Travis

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This whole scenario is bullshit anyhow! We all know there were two people involved and it also involved a m60 machine gun.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Dave

I may incorporate a handgun competition into the 'flave invitational. Would be fun.

Clark

Sounds fun!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
OP Offline
C
The point I was making and the point that a fair percentage of you answered was, can an avg citizen protect himself in a life threatening situation?

What options does the avg citizen have to do so?

Is Sam breaking the law by going to his vehicle, getting a rifle and then returning to the concert area to return fire at the hotel sniper? Should he have just left, or by returning is Sam then equally as much of a criminal? *(per the law, not by California social standards.)

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
He's in fear for his life. And the lives of others.

Dave

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1234, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 60 invisible), 2,386 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,522
Posts18,491,050
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.