Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
C
OP Offline
C
Dave, here's the curve ball; if he was that afraid, why didn't he leave?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by CooperWilder

That wouldn't have neutralized the threat posed to others still there. You are privileged in the law to neutralize threats to innocent others, too, not just yourself.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Originally Posted by kellory
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
He would be OK legally. It would really be no different than someone with a CCW shooting a robber about to kill a convenience store clerk. Besides, no prosecutor would bring it to a grand jury, and no grand jury would indict him.

The legal system in this country IS screwed up, but I don't think it's that screwed up.

No, it would not be the same as a CCW. here thst is known as a concealed PISTOL permit, and would not be needed as an open carry rifle. I do know if I served on the jury, I would not convict, even if the existing law said "guilty". (Most folks don't truly understand the power of the jury.)

My point was that the CCW was in possession of a legal weapon as was the deer hunter. Neither are under a legal obligation to play cop and confront someone bent upon murder, but are quite justified in doing so in order to prevent it. In that regard the two circumstances are analogous.

Technically, the cops are under no obligation to "confront someone bent upon murder" either.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

Technically, the cops are under no obligation to "confront someone bent upon murder" either.

Yeah, the Supreme Court ruled they have no legal obligation to do that, but politically they are given that mission by their superiors, i.e., if a cop just routinely ran away in the face of danger, rather than advancing towards it to neutralize it, they'd likely soon find themselves out of a job.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Maybe the lives he feared for were not his own but those of the other concert goers. I say assuming the guy doesn't get capped by the police, or bludgeoned to death by a panicked crowd he would fair pretty well in most any court.

But since you want to question unlikely hypothetical's I've got one. What if the parking lot were full. Guy with deer rifle has to park in front of a school down the street. So in the process of retrieving rifle and saving everyone he walks past a school (gun free zone) with a gun!!!!! I don't think you come back from that!!

Liberalism; The impossible yet accepted notion that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
IC B2

C
OP Offline
C
Re: Hawkeye:

Good! Now we are getting to the heart of the debate. At some point, is Sam also now "obligated" by law to help protect others then? Like the "Good Samaritan law" when you drive past an accident? Is this a remote parallel?

Last edited by CooperWilder; 10/14/17.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

And others.

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Good! Now we are getting to the heart of the debate. At some point, is Sam also now "obligated" by law to help protect others then? Like the "Good Samaritan law" when you drive past an accident? Is this a remote parallel?

You're getting pretty granular in regards to local laws or ordinances.

But in general, the likelihood of being criminally charged after using force to save others is close to zero in this country.

Clark

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
C
OP Offline
C
ok. admittedly I am in some respects but I am very curious about this topic of self protection in this day and age. Times have gotten very confusing, not just legally but socially, and trying to know how the dice will fall, in advance in a situation like this, is very ... unpredictable. It would be nice if these things were a bit more black and white, legally speaking. Or perhaps a better term would be, carved in granite?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by westside_benny

Maybe the lives he feared for were not his own but those of the other concert goers. I say assuming the guy doesn't get capped by the police, or bludgeoned to death by a panicked crowd he would fair pretty well in most any court.

But since you want to question unlikely hypothetical's I've got one. What if the parking lot were full. Guy with deer rifle has to park in front of a school down the street. So in the process of retrieving rifle and saving everyone he walks past a school (gun free zone) with a gun!!!!! I don't think you come back from that!!

The 1990 Federal Act to which you refer only "prohibits any unauthorized individual from knowingly possessing a firearm at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone." So, if you are authorized by any other state law to be in possession, the Act is nullified. Also, absent the above, you must have reason to know it's a school zone. But most importantly, the legal doctrine of necessity overrides any law which stands in the way of necessary actions. The classic example is a sign that says "Federal Law Prohibits Swimming In This Lake," but you see a drowning child in the middle of it. In that case, you are privileged by the doctrine of necessity to disregard the law for the purpose of saving said life.

The Doctrine:

Necessity:

"A defense that permits a person to act in a criminal manner when an emergency situation, not of the person's own creation, compels the person to act in a criminal manner to avoid greater harm from occurring." Source

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
ok. admittedly I am in some respects but I am very curious about this topic of self protection in this day and age. Times have gotten very confusing, not just legally but socially, and trying to know how the dice will fall, in advance in a situation like this, is very ... unpredictable. It would be nice if these things were a bit more black and white, legally speaking. Or perhaps a better term would be, carved in granite?

You're taking a human life so the aftermath is never not going to be dicey.

Personally, I wish Charleston Heston scratched a couple of those rules off the tablets before he Birkenstocked his ass down that mountain. But it is what it is.

Dave

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

No, it's a legal privilege, not a legal obligation.

C
OP Offline
C
that said Hawkeye, is that a constant in the USA, or just FL?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Cooper,

It's not black and white. You're not going to find any specific rulings because it has never happened.

But ask yourself this, if the passengers of Flight 93 pulled the heads off of the onboard terrorists and averted disaster, do you think they'd be charged?

Dave

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Legal privilege and obligation intertwine. You can stop to render aid at a car wreck, and most would, but the obligation is to not exceed your training. I can do (rusty) CPR, heimlich, but am not qualified or trained to do a tracheotomy for instance. Same for bleeding.

So a good samritan would not be charged in very many places for using a firearm.

I know almost everyone on here has a long history of gunfighting, and knows about adrenaline, shakiness from exertion, and all. And every one of us can calmly hit a target so small we can barely make it out at astounding distances. Beanfield rifles and PSAC notwithstanding, it would be a different ballgame.

It is improbably at best to have an opportunity, and even less likely to be successful. You would not be charged.

Last edited by kennyd; 10/14/17.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
that said Hawkeye, is that a constant in the USA, or just FL?

Greater specificity in your question would have been helpful, but the defense of defense of others exists in every state in the United States. It varies only on one major point, and that's whether or not the defensive shooter is placed by the courts in the shoes of those he's defending or only his own shoes. In other words, in some states you are required to have made a perfect judgment as to whether the person you're defending himself had the legal privilege of lethal force in self-defense, while in other states (most of them) the defense is valid so long as you reasonably believed that to be the case, even if it turns out you were wrong.

Example: You're walking on a city sidewalk, and you turn the corner to see what looks to you like someone putting a serious beat down on someone else with a crow bar. You draw and fire. Turns out, the guy putting the beat down on the other was the intended victim of a mugging, who only just then had managed to turn the tables on him and gain control of the bludgeon. In some states, you are out of luck, because your judgment (though perfectly reasonable) was in error. In other states, the courts will only inquire into whether your assessment of the situation was reasonable, i.e., whether the ordinary and prudent person in your shoes would have come to the same conclusion you did.

PS There are also burden of proof differences between states, i.e., does the state have the burden of proving you didn't have the defense (and what level of burden), or are you burdened to prove that you did have the defense (and what level of burden)?

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
" I can do (rusty) CPR, heimlich, but am not qualified or trained to do a tracheotomy for instance. Same for bleeding."

If you don't know how to stop or slow down bleeding you need to take some first aid classes. You should also learn how to splint broken bones if you are a hunter.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by deflave

Personally, I wish Charleston Heston scratched a couple of those rules off the tablets before he Birkenstocked his ass down that mountain. But it is what it is.

Dave

LOL.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's a question that's been bugging me, thought I would throw it out on the table for discussion.

If a clean, honest citizen, say his name was...Sam, was at the concert and the shooter in the hotel starts shooting at the masses...if Sam finds, comes upon, or goes back to his vehicle and gets a standard deer hunting rifle and takes aim at the illegal shooter up in the tower of the hotel and shoots him, from the area where all the other concert attendees are standing around, and shoots the sniper either dead or wounds him enough to incapacitate him.

Now, upon those actions would Sam be liable for any legal infringement, broken laws, illegal shooting, shooting someone, or would the justice/legal/court system find Sam to be free and clear of any illegal actions?

The question: did Sam (who is basically any American 100% legal citizen that had a deer rifle in his vehicle and he retrieved it and shot the sniper in the hotel) break any laws or is Sam now a national hero. (legally speaking, not just in opinion.)

This is a serious question and one that I think merits discussion.

That happened in 60s of last century at University of Texas Austin where bunch of people engaged the shooter allowing police to get to him and to stop him. I think your country is too far gone for repeat of something like that.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

NRS 200.120

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

247 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 2UP, 257 mag, 37L1, 35, 23 invisible), 1,778 guests, and 921 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,505
Posts18,490,623
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.