Print Thread
Hop To
Page 60 of 150 1 2 58 59 60 61 62 149 150
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by marlinshooter1
I have a rem 7600 that I've owned for awhile. It has alway's been a good shooter. A couple year's ago I had Nathan Chesney cut the bbl to 18.5 inches, remount front sight and rework the trigger, and added a oversize safety. He did a great job. Sometime's wish I had him do 20 inches but to late now. Just mounted a leupold 1.5 to 5 and sighted it in today. Hopefully this year it make's meat.
Karl

I'm thinking of having him work mine over. I'd lop it at 20" though.

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You just never know....

Went to a local LGS today to place a "mistake" on consignment, for which I hoped to receive $500-$600 in the current crappy market. Asked the counter guy if he'd consider a trade instead, because of something I saw on the wall. He said he had something interesting that was marked at $699, and pulled the one I was looking at (among several others). I asked what kind of deal he'd make, and he offered to trade even up. Done.

I'm now the owner of a Remington Model Six .30/06 with a Redfield Lo-Pro 3-9 in see-thru mounts; a genuine Amish Machine Gun. It's in really excellent condition, but my guess is that the stock was shortened just a bit for the White Line pad on the back as the lop is right at 13", actually a good length for a cold weather rifle. The scope will have to go eventually, but it looks almost perfect, widefield ocular and objective and all. For now, I've ordered a new base for some Leupold PRWs I have. I'll also have to pull the pad and make sure the end-grain is sealed so the RKW bowling-pin finish doesn't flake from moisture.

Always wanted one of these, especially the Model Six with the cartridge head embedded in the receiver like the 141s. Average beater 760s and 7600s usually go for $350-$450 with no scope, often missing sight parts and plastic stocks or banged up walnut with impressed checkering. The checkering on this one is cut, and in pretty good condition. I just sold my only 06 and had a bunch of handloads and Prvi Grom ammo on hand, so I'm all set. The action is slicker than snot on a doorknob and the trigger's not half bad.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pappy, you done well! Congrats!

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Okay, question: There's a plastic dust cover over the bolt, that seems to float inside the receiver. Midway sells spares for about $7. Should I consider that a "consumeable" and keep one or two on hand? Other than keeping the dirt out, is there any reason to fret if I lose it and want to hunt or just shoot? Can't imagine it's a vital part, considering it feels like it's made from recycled milk jugs.

Thanks.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Whelen Nut
Pappy, you done well! Congrats!

Thanks. That shop seems to deal mainly in tacticool stuff, with only a few odd "sporting" pieces on hand, so I think they were as happy to get rid of it as I was to get it. Win-win! The guy did know that the Sixes weren't too common.

They also had the only 1905 Ross I've ever seen in all my days of gunshop trolling. Now that one was a real beater; more like a tractor gun than a truck gun, if you get my drift.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pappy dont' sweat the plastic bolt cover. Of all the 760/7600's I have/had only had one come off. Easy fix. If it comes off don't worry about it. Just keep choot'n it.

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
So I finally got to pick up the rifle today. I bought it from a guy on a local NJ hunting site and turns out he's on 24 hour also as Sako76. It was a pleasure to meet him and great guy to deal with, gun was exactly as described and he didn't even want me to take the gun until he was convinced I was totally pleased !!!!!

Remington 760 pump in .35 Remington, I've been looking for a pristine one for quite some time, and this one is indeed as pristine as they come.

Although it can't be proven, gun appears unfired, not a scratch or mark on it that I can see. It appears to be around 1979 vintage, I'll find out for sure when I call Remington.

So now I have the gun, Weaver Pivot base and rings for it and I need a period correct scope. I'm looking for either an El Paso Weaver K2.5 with post and crosshair or a Denver Redfield around the same power with post and crosshair. I do have a very pristine El Paso Weaver V4.5 with duplex recticle if anyone wants to work out a trade, or if anyone has one for sale, I'll outright buy it, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Gun came with a box of ammo and I have 3 other boxes so I'm good there, now if I can just find the right scope, maybe I can go out and kill a deer in the Catskills with an old school woods deer rifle.

EDIT-------- I called Remington, the rifle was manufactured June 1979 and went to an outdoor store in Harrisburg Pa. Sako76 picked it up on consignment at Cabela's in Pa. I'd bet that the owner passed on and the family sold his firearms and that's how it wound up on consignment in Cabela's, just an educated guess on my part.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by wink_man; 10/27/17.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Good meeting with you today Wink Man, thanks for the plug. Good luck with the rifle, I hope many NY deer fall to it!

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
How accurate are pump rifles??

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hanco

Most are very accurate and will digest surprisingly hotter loads. Small base dies are not required. FL resizing is.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wink_man
[Linked Image]

Very nice rifle indeed!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Wink--I bought it off the used gun rack, they must of just put it out, those guns gets handled roughly. I thought it was manufactured later than '79, I'm glad it went to a good home. I was bought up on a Browning Light 12 and a Browning BAR in 308, I can't shoot a pump, that's why I sold it! good luck with it!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Ya done good wink, my favorite era of Remmy pumps, the late 760's.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The one I got's my first, but even way back when, they had a reputation for being more accurate than one would expect. On mine, there's no contact between the forend and barrel at all, so it's essentially free-floating. No rattles, either.

Remounted the scope in Burris Signature rings on a Leupold one-piece base yesterday. Looks 1000% better and comes up right to my eye, no chin-weld. The scope is very long, so no eye-relief problems either.

Next week it goes to the range.

Went back to the shop where I got it yesterday to pick up a transfer, and the AR I traded was still there, but this puppy's going hunting soon.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Whelen Nut
Pappy dont' sweat the plastic bolt cover. Of all the 760/7600's I have/had only had one come off. Easy fix. If it comes off don't worry about it. Just keep choot'n it.

YEP ! I've had 760s & M Sixes for years and so far none have come off for me.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SuperCub

Most are very accurate and will digest surprisingly hotter loads. Small base dies are not required. FL resizing is.

I only P Fl size for my pumps...just like the bolt actions.
(partial full length )

You can OVER size and work the brass too much.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwall
I only P Fl size for my pumps...just like the bolt actions.
(partial full length )

You can OVER size and work the brass too much.

Jerry

I've never tried a partial resize in mine. but will. I was always happy I didn't have to buy SB dies so went along just FLR w/o trying otherwise. smile

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a 760 30-06 that definitely benefits from using a small base die. If I use a standard FL die I have to chamber all the cartridges once because the first time the action is hard to open once the bolt locks closed. After the first chambering they cycle fine. With the small base die the problem never occurs.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

I have owned as many as five at a time, and solved a couple-three more for friends. The worst I have seen one shoot is 1 1/2-2 inches and at that, I never put much time into solving that one. Never hat to mess with the rifle itself other than one .243 that had the crap shot out of it and was never cleaned once near as I could tell. I rebarrelled it and it shot great from the get-go.

M
MagMarc Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Nice Wink Man, you done good!

Page 60 of 150 1 2 58 59 60 61 62 149 150

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

637 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 78 invisible), 2,678 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,477
Posts18,471,652
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.