Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
K
I have a thread asking this question on the Hunting Optics sub forum, but I'm not getting a lot of response there. I hope it is alright to cross post to here. I am picking a Winchester 70 Classic stainless featherweight in a McMillan featherweight stock in 270. Trying to figure out what to scope it with.

Will be using the rifle out of the truck some with most use being walking and stalking pigs late evening on the ranch. So I want a relatively light scope with good low light performance. Also needs to be durable because while it won't be abused, it could see some rough handling.

The scopes I am considering are the Leica ERI 2.5-10x42, Swaro Z3 3-9, or maybe the VX5 2-10. Was hoping for some opinions on those. Particularly interested in hearing thoughts on how the VX-5 stacks up against the others as it is hard to find much info on it. Also, the other thread had someone mention the Meopta fixed 6x42 as an option and that is an interesting one. Though I don't know how well it stacks up against the other more known quantity brands.

Appreciate the opinions of everybody offered up and curious if there are any other options I'm missing that I should consider. Would like to keep this below $1,000. Thanks for the help.

GB1

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
I apologize since this isn't on your list, but I'd suggest a trijicon accupoint for what you're doing. They are durable, light weight, and have an illuminated POA that does not require batteries.

Because through judicious handloading and a bold sense of optimism, you can make anything into an .88 Magnum - once! 😁 - chesterpulley
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
A fixed 6x would be my choice.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have an M70 .270 push feed XTR that came with a McMillan stock. I put a 3z9 Burris Fullfield on it and it works just fine. Looks good too. Two actual M70 Featherweights, a .257 Bob has a 3x9 Leupold and the 7x57 has a 2x7 Leupold. Looks even better than the .257 Bob.Those two are push feeds as well. All work as they should.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Those are all nice scopes you are considering. The edge goes to Leica ERi for low light performance by a good margin.

If you wanted something extremely rugged in holding zero a SWFA SS 3X9X42 HD is a good choice. it does have huge exposed turrets though which may be a negative for what you want. I would however trust it to hold zero in rough use better than anything else you listed and better than most scopes under $1200. SWFA usually sells them for $400 on black Friday

Another nice scope you might consider is the Vortex Razor HD LD 2-10X40. Personally I think the glass is better than the Leica you list or the Swaro. They are made by LOW in Japan.I expect good build quality but they are fairly new and just haven't been tested enough to say for sure.

I doubt the build quality of Leupold more every day.

You might possibly find a Swaro Z5 used under $1000. If you can find one with the newer style plex reticle it is a great low light scope and built with an upgraded erector system over the Z3 series.

You might consider a TRACT. They have been getting pretty good reviews.

I think this one will be my next scope purchase. It isn't exactly light,but I am beginning to believe that light and durable just don't go together. I have no experience with this scope at all but I like all the features it has and it has been getting great reviews,the few that are available,that is. It has everything I want personally in a hunting scope.
https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3.php?pid=TR26-C-200104

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Those are all nice scopes you are considering. The edge goes to Leica ERi for low light performance by a good margin.

If you wanted something extremely rugged in holding zero a SWFA SS 3X9X42 HD is a good choice. it does have huge exposed turrets though which may be a negative for what you want. I would however trust it to hold zero in rough use better than anything else you listed and better than most scopes under $1200. SWFA usually sells them for $400 on black Friday

Another nice scope you might consider is the Vortex Razor HD LD 2-10X40. Personally I think the glass is better than the Leica you list or the Swaro. They are made by LOW in Japan.I expect good build quality but they are fairly new and just haven't been tested enough to say for sure.

You might possibly find a Swaro Z5 used under $1000. If you can find one with the newer style plex reticle it is a great low light scope and built with an upgraded erector system over the Z3 series.

I think this one will be my next scope purchase. It isn't exactly light,but I am beginning to believe that light and durable just don't go together. I have no experience with this scope at all but I like all the features it has and it has been getting great reviews,the few that are available,that is. It has everything I want personally in a hunting scope.

For the world of me I do not understand why anyone would put such clunky monstrosities on a slim hunting rifle.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

For the world of me I do not understand why anyone would put such clunky monstrosities on a slim hunting rifle.

Two that I suggested are anything but clunky monstrosities. I guess you missed that though.

I simply suggest some picks I might make,which I think is about all that can be expected.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I know someone that has a Swaro AV 3-9x36 #4 reticle on theirs(270 win ) stainless classic with a edge stock and it balances perfectly. I would pick that a Leupold fixed 6x 36MM, Meopta 6x42 or a Swarovski Z3 3.5-10x42 for that rifle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Which one's made in the USA?
Question answered for me.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have a Leupold 6X x 36 on my Stainless Classic. Perfect IMHO.

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by winchester70
Which one's made in the USA?
Question answered for me.

Which one? I guess it doesn't matter if the lenses are made in Japan.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I have two featherweight .270's one with a 3-9 Swarovski and the other with a fixed 6x Swarovski. Both scopes weigh the same but I prefer the brightness of the fixed 6

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In classic campfire tradition I am going to ignore the choices you seek advice on and recommend a Leupold 6x36

You can thank me later. smile

Oh and mount it in dual dovetail rings

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
TDN Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Ive done a lot of trim M70's - go with the 6x36 or 3-9x36 Swaro.

My McMillan stocked Fwt is heading out for mule deer this weekend with a 6x36 LRD on top.

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
If you can afford it, I'd go with the Swarovski 3-9x36 Z3 or maybe even a 3-10x42. Very light and excellent glass... I had an older Swaro on my light 338WM and is was pretty svelte.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
K
I'm leaning towards the Swarovski 3.5-10 right now. I have a 3-9 on a kimber Montana that has done well for me. Just kinda intrigued by the Leica and new VX-5. Y'all know how it is, you just get a desire for something a little different some times.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by irfubar
In classic campfire tradition I am going to ignore the choices you seek advice on and recommend a Leupold 6x36

Definitely agree with dual dovetails even as much as I like Talleys. Seems the spacing is more forgiving and they look "cleaner", not to mention damn tough. Don't forget to grease the dovetail if you do. I'm Elmer Fudd as scopes go on my M70, VXII 3x9. Pretty boring.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
My recommendation is a Swaro Z3 2.5-10x42.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
A zeiss 3-9x40 conquest of a Leupold fixed 6x woukd be my choice.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by irfubar

This. Back to the KISS principle.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

641 members (1moredeer, 1minute, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 3,224 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,380
Posts18,469,532
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.