Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have N2 tanks at home. Costs about the same to fill them up as CO2 or whatever. I used them when I service accumulators and landing gear struts. It is moisture free and less sensitive to heat. A lot of people use it in their airplane tires. It doesn't hurt a thing but it is amazing when you ask a salesman about "Nitro fill" they have some pretty outrageous claims.

I know some of the PCP air rifle competitors run Helium in their rifles because it expands quicker than compressed air or even N2. Have you priced Helium lately??

N2 doesn't have any downside except it is expensive compared to compressed air and inconvenient for most folks. It's easy for me as I always have a cylinder or two on hand.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by dingo

That's from Australia, though. South of the equator, the molecule size difference between N2 and air is reversed. grin

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I use a special mixture that is 78% N2. I have a patent on it, but for a small fee I will PM the method - no paypal.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
When I bought my last set of tires for my Ram 2500, I did so at Costco. They filled them with nitrogen which they do as a standard, no charge practice. The only practical advantage is that in really cold weather, you don't loose as much air pressure. Pretty important when carrying a truck camper and towing a Jeep in below zero weather. There is also the fact that nitrogen doesn't oxidize nearly as readily as oxygen. For whatever that might be worth.
I no longer hunt places with really cold temperatures so I don't concern myself with this. E

Tires lose about 1 psi for every 10* temperature drop.

I just pop a gauge on the tires about once per month.

Right after changing my valve cover gaskets.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
A molecule of air? Seriously?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have used r-22 to inflate a flat.
But, it was taken, immediately to a tire shop for repair.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Nitrogen in tires, by a tire shop, is, imo , a scam
They charge for N2O

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I think bicycle racers have used helium. Had one neighbor who got a new car with nitrogen, it still leaked and he had to drive way back to the dealer to get it filled. One trip costs more than the savings in mpg.

A run flat tire would be worth more to me.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
They tried to sell me nitrogen when I bought my 2011 Z-71.

Crazy. I declined.

DF

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My wife's Porsche came with nitrogen. When I replaced the tires the local shop filled them with nitrogen at no cost. They also add when needed at no cost.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I used them when I service accumulators and landing gear struts. It is moisture free and less sensitive to heat. A lot of people use it in their airplane tires.

I fly for a living and the tires in every jet I've ever flown have always been nitrogen filled. An airplane tire can go from 150+ degrees F to -50 in the course of a flight so the nitrogen keeps the pressure swings lower than regular air would.

In a car tire it's just a scam to make money, there's no other reason for it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ironbender

You drive 50K a month? HFS...

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
They tried to sell me nitrogen when I bought my 2011 Z-71.

Crazy. I declined.

DF

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by ironbender

You drive 50K a month? HFS...

wink
smile

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by 007FJ
What N2 does is not vary by temperature as much due to being an inert gas. It doesn't do any other magic besides that really. I use N2 in my fast cars just because I have a bottle. I carry a nice ViAir compressor for the FJ 4x4 type stuff. What the off road guys use a lot is CO2 because it has more volume for the tank size.

Lots of reading to do on the FJ Cruiser Forum on airing up after rock crawling if you are really interested. The Jeep Forums and Pirate too have a lot of threads.

Totally false.

Avogadro's Hypothesis

Avogadro's hypothesis states that two samples of gas of equal volume, at the same temperature and pressure, contain the same number of molecules. Avogadro's hypothesis allows chemists to predict the behavior of ideal gasses. Amedeo Avogadro made the hypothesis in 1811 in an essay submitted to Journal de Physique. Elaborating on this hypothesis, he asserted the volume of a gas is not dependent on the size or mass of the molecules of the gas. Avogadro's hypothesis was applied in Avogadro's law to show that the volume of a gas (V) is equal to a constant (k) times the number of moles of gas (n), or V=kn.

Or perhaps more simply,
What is the Avogadro's law?
Avogadro's law (sometimes referred to as Avogadro's hypothesis or Avogadro's principle) is an experimental gas law relating volume of a gas to the amount of substance of gas present. ... Avogadro's law states that, "equal volumes of all gases, at the same temperature and pressure, have the same number of molecules".

Originally Posted by Oheremicus
When I bought my last set of tires for my Ram 2500, I did so at Costco. They filled them with nitrogen which they do as a standard, no charge practice. The only practical advantage is that in really cold weather, you don't loose as much air pressure. Pretty important when carrying a truck camper and towing a Jeep in below zero weather. There is also the fact that nitrogen doesn't oxidize nearly as readily as oxygen. For whatever that might be worth.
I no longer hunt places with really cold temperatures so I don't concern myself with this. E

Quite possible. Your tires might last a few weeks longer with no Oxygen inside.

Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
Nitrogen is dry compared to compressed air. Moist air expands and contracts more than dry air.

Absolutely. A tire filled with pure water vapor would not stay inflated very long. Hopefully the tire store has an inline dryer on their air compressor.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WayneShaw
I never noticed any "out of round" going on since nylon belted tires were gone.

come spend a winter in Fairbanks

take off in the a.m. at -40 clunk, clunk,clunk

until that air gets warmed up or the pressure from rolling makes the tire round on all sides again.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Higher end race cars (Indy Cars/F1) commonly use nitrogen as it doesn't heat up during a race. The heating causes a pressure increase that affects the desired contact patch and therefore the handling of the car. We tried it on lower end race cars (Formula Fords, Sports 2000) and couldn't tell much difference and it was a pain to have multiple purgings of our tires to make it really work.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by logger
Higher end race cars (Indy Cars/F1) commonly use nitrogen as it doesn't heat up during a race. The heating causes a pressure increase that affects the desired contact patch and therefore the handling of the car. We tried it on lower end race cars (Formula Fords, Sports 2000) and couldn't tell much difference and it was a pain to have multiple purgings of our tires to make it really work.

Once again, a myth.

You can fill the tire with Helium, Hydrogen, Argon, Nitrogen, Oxygen, Carbon Dioxide, Nitrous Oxide, Methane, Propane, or any other gas. Unlike solids and liquids, gases all expand identically with change in temperature. And whatever the gas is, it will assume the same temperature as the tire it is contained within.

Sorry folks, this is basic High School Chemistry.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
PV=nRT

N2 is "inert" because it does not react chemically.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nitrogen has become old hat - helium is the new rage, especially for the expensive sports car folks. Reduces unsprung weight.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (007FJ, 17CalFan, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 16penny, 62 invisible), 2,433 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,441
Posts18,470,899
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.