Print Thread
Hop To
Page 27 of 38 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 37 38
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by saddlering
The Movie was Death Hunt was about the Mad Trapper of Rat River! he carried a break down savage 99 rifle! chambered in 30-30

One of my favorite books. I'll have to look for that movie.

Know that the movie is ass backward from the book, Hollywood liberties to an ungodly level from the true story.

Just see the movie as a separate story and it isn't bad, but know it has know resemblance of the Mad Trapper story.

Good to know but it won't surprise me.

Movies always almost disappoint if you've read the book.

Still want to see it so's I can watch Greg's handy work.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Greg was a friend, I never got to meet face to face.
We spent a lot of time visiting back and forth on the phone and via email. I can't think of a single time that we ever spoke he didn't ask about how the ranch was doing, the condition of the range, and the cattle, and the dogs and horses.
One hell of a gunsmith, and was passionate about accuracy. He wasn't bashful about calling a spade a spade, and there was seldom a time when one had to wonder what his thoughts really were.
RIP Mr. Cameron.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Folks, sorry to report that the quest to retrieve Gracie's remains for burial along with Greg was not successful.
Hoping that Greg knows how hard we tried. No doubt she will be well-recognized and remembered in the ceremony.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
So sorry to hear that, Paul. Thanks for the attempt.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Gus
he might have missed his calling? he might have made a first=class Marine Corps DI?

in a different incarnation, he probably could have played the role?

Next to Greg - Marine Corps DI's are wimps!

Greg knew he had a standing invitation at my home- whenever he wanted to drop in. He quit attending the BPCR matches at Whittington several years ago,(which would have put him through my AO) because of his proximity to an illegal immigration route - didn't feel he could leave his place unprotected. (And he was probably correct)

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've always wanted to build a fire pit like his. Only on a little smaller scale. I'm going to have to look up those old posts of when he was putting his together and get started on it.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Squirrelnut
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
Cross AND Gracie? What the hell happened?

Murder/suicide wouldn't surprise me. The interactions I had with Greg via PM and on the forum were very negative, he was a loudmouthed [bleep] with an anger problem.

Whilst he was an acerbic so-and-so I found his word to be good, and say what you will fellow...he was a man.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Originally Posted by Gus
he might have missed his calling? he might have made a first=class Marine Corps DI?

in a different incarnation, he probably could have played the role?

Next to Greg - Marine Corps DI's are wimps!

Greg knew he had a standing invitation at my home- whenever he wanted to drop in. He quit attending the BPCR matches at Whittington several years ago,(which would have put him through my AO) because of his proximity to an illegal immigration route - didn't feel he could leave his place unprotected. (And he was probably correct)

he lived only a few miles from the san pedro river, a major narco people smuggling route, and probably six/seven miles or so from palominas and the international line. He had told me of hearing automatic weapons fire at night from the river, where people were hitting the drug shipments. One thing may be of interest to people, the clantons as in tombstone came from around hereford/palominas which greg lived on the edge of.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
May he be laid to rest and the veterans cemetery in Sierra vista beautiful facility with the huachuca mtns in the background...

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't log into here too much anymore, but was still shocked and saddened to read of Gregs passing. He also struck me as a true frontier man, as old school as they come. May he rest in peace.....

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'll offer a couple of more details, these from my recollection of interactions I had with Greg, with the disclaimer that my memory is far from perfect.

His dad owned one or more tramp steamers, and Greg went to sea with him at an early age, learning his way around seagoing vessels from stem to stern, and bridge. Whether he actually held or was eligible for an official license or ticket as a ship's officer I can't say. He also told me that at one time he was offered a Navy commission. He worked not only in Central America, but from what I recall from our conversations and the memorabilia he showed me, in some deep dark parts of South America as well. I also seem to recall that he learned or mastered the welding trade in the oil fields of SW Louisiana.

We shared an interest in single shot and black powder cartridge rifles, knew some of the same people and had both been screwed over by a certain individual. For reasons he never shared, he was not shooting actively or competing when I met him, but we did go the the local Sierra Vista range and shot our .22 single shots at little buffalo silhouettes at 200 yards. I got the impression that he had been instrumental in the development of the range, but later had a falling out with their establishment. No surprise, he was not one to compromise over matters of his principles. We had a good time, and he was gracious in complimenting my modest shooting skills and equipment.

He never did any major gun work for me, but he did overhaul a couple of parts, as well as the spindle on my ancient Buffalo drill press, sort of a family heirloom.

Thanks to those of you who have taken the initiative to gather info and tie up his affairs, so that he may be laid to rest in well-deserved peace.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Holy crap. Been thinking about giving him a shout, but got busy dove/quail hunting and put it off. Damn. He will be missed.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lest We Forget

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
May he rest in peace....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Greg's colorful and blunt commentaries will be missed.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Greg being an Oilfield toolpusher = PERFECT his type of personality must be a prerequisite for that job .

I had to laugh when I read it , Robert the Toolpusher I worked for was just like Greg , two peas in a pod personality wise [from what I've read here] . Robert served in vietnam also . When he would come up on the drill floor I'd holler down from the derrick HEY to the top of my lungs - he'd look up and I'd wave at him . He would just shake his head and give me a disgusted look and keep walking . Greg a toolpusher = perfect !!

RIP

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Ed

Thank you for the great information about Greg. May he rest in peace.

Desert Rat surely hits on much of Greg's life, it seems. I had forgotten of Mr Murphy's great abilities even after seeing him at a small auditorium back in the 80's. I suspect his writings and songs were on Greg's favorites list. Wildfire is one of mine.

I am sorry for your loss. I wish I had met Greg, and am glad many of you knew Greg and befriended him. He sounds like a Man's Man, service to God and country greatly appreciated by myself. Greg's Bio sounds larger than life, many talents to share.

Your stories help fill in the blanks I had about Greg, I always enjoyed reading his posts, and I can now see the Marine in his words and attitude. I am sure Greg appreciated your friendship, and it seems you enjoyed his as well. A better friend is hard to come by.

May the sadness go swiftly, and the joy of knowing Greg replace the sadness.

Allen

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Thank you, Allen.

You know that sense of awe you get when you watch a true master of a skill when they are totally immersed in their craft? Like watching and listening to the greatest guitarist or other musician?

Watching a master portrait or landscape artist create a picture you could step into, that you could almost hear the sounds and smell the odors in that picture?

Seeing them work as if they were a part of the tools they were wielding, seeing and hearing their creation come to life before your eyes?

That was what it was like standing in Greg's shop, watching him restore an old gun. Lathe, mill, files, grinder, saw, hammer, wrenches, screwdrivers, and vise, they all were a part of him, moving at his bidding, precision motions, nothing wasted, neither time, energy, nor materials.

He was extremely focused on the task, but still could talk about what he was doing, step-by-step, to a bystander, explaining in simple terms and clear enough to be understood, without ever losing that focus.

He was a simple and complex man, if that makes any sense. Living alone without being lonely.

I will miss him and his late night and early morning calls before and after the light has left, not forgetting his friends while working every minute unless the heat was too much.

I mourn now, and know that the loss will be less as time goes by, and look forward to seeing him again.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ed;
Good afternoon, I trust the day in your part of the world is slightly sunnier and/or warmer than here, but as they say, "into every life a little rain must fall".

I wanted to add my voice to those who've said thanks for filling in some of the parts of Greg's life of which I wasn't aware. You have a way with words and I appreciate you taking the time.

From what I knew of Greg, he'd approve.

Thanks again and all the best to you as we head into winter.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I read his posts,

And just like Mickey,

I wish I could have known him personally.

Enough said.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Page 27 of 38 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 37 38

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 21, 52 invisible), 2,408 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,455
Posts18,489,729
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.