Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
A great essay on a subject that has troubled me for many years, although I do not have anywhere near the technical expertise nor insight into the ability to abuse these new services as does the author. Scary. Link to essay.

Last edited by achadwick; 10/22/17.

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Everyone wants the newest computer/phone toy so bad that most don't check or care that is is spying on them.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Think a moment. The way those "helpful toys" work is to listen to everything you say or do. It's a microphone to...

And that's the worry.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Not just microphones, Rocky, stereo microphones and HD video cameras capable of very low light operation, well into the near IR range so we can't hide in the dark, either.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Well wifey has accused me of having strange wimmens in my bedroom twice here lately. Yes, wifey does has some issues. But as I reminded her that at least part of her accusation has merit. That is, if there were any wimmens with "me" in my bedroom they would, in fact, be very strange!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
A very good article laying out the future, of cyborg AI, in our lives.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Don't buy one of those things. Simple, huh?

Mike

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Friends have one, they got tired of it

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I'd never have a Facebook account either. I've seen people fired over one, get in trouble over one, and had their identity stolen as a result of being a member. Also, anything "geneaology" related is an excellent way for others to get DOB, addresses, and relative's names. Steer clear.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I really like technology but I have become worried in recent years. The obsession of tech companies over personal information is creepy. And without donning the tin foil hat, I do worry about the government either having private contracts with some of the companies to collect your information or the government is able to somehow tap into that data without the company's knowledge. My main concern is the weaponizing of information against the citizen. Stuff like information taken out of context in order to blackmail you into certain action. Luckily for me, I'm kind of a regular Joe, so I'm not really black mail worthy. But I do worry about that sort of thing happening to people with more power. You know, like a certain SCOTUS justice that flipped on Obamacare at the last minute?

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do you have a camera or microphone on your computer or laptop? SSDD

https://www.theverge.com/2016/6/21/11995032/mark-zuckerberg-webcam-tape-photo

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose. It was written to limit the power of government over the individual.

There is no believing a liar, even when he speaks the truth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Squidge
Do you have a camera or microphone on your computer or laptop? SSDD

https://www.theverge.com/2016/6/21/11995032/mark-zuckerberg-webcam-tape-photo

I have my camera and microphone turned off in the computer's BIOS. If I need them, I can always reboot the computer and turn the hardware back on.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If anyone has Netflix you might watch Season 3, Episode 3 - "Shut Up and Dance". A bit over the top perhaps, but one lesson learned is never masturbate in front of your laptop....

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
If anyone has Netflix you might watch Season 3, Episode 3 - "Shut Up and Dance". A bit over the top perhaps, but one lesson learned is never masturbate in front of your laptop....

LOL

MOLON LABE
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's S3E3 of "Black Mirror", btw.

Synopsis is that a computer company offers supposedly innocuous anti-virus software which people download to their computers. Unknown to them what that software actually does is record everything that goes through their computer and transmit it to someone - email, chat sessions, videos you watch or transmit, whatever, including turning on their webcam even when they don't want it on which leads one horny young man on his path to trouble, since a person or persons unknown use the information to blackmail people into some pretty heinous things.

It's science fiction but, besides actual needed security updates, does anyone know for sure what else is in those Windows updates that you are constantly urged to apply...? shocked

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Imagine the folks in the market for "hidden redneck masterbation" videos! Cue the Banjos!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As that article states, it is kind of frightening and interesting that the two way viewscreens which were the most widespread means of individual oppression by Big Brother in "1984" have actually been manifested as the latest must have product for the hip and modern connected citizen.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Well wifey has accused me of having strange wimmens in my bedroom twice here lately. Yes, wifey does has some issues. But as I reminded her that at least part of her accusation has merit. That is, if there were any wimmens with "me" in my bedroom they would, in fact, be very strange!!!

A friend from town bumped into another out of town...
"Man I got to get to town and get me some strange! How about you?"

"Naw, I could go for different............. I married strange! "

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If you're reading this, the government is spying on you.

If you have a cell phone, it tracks you everywhere you go and listens to everything you do. Smartphone or not.

And it's all stored on a server somewhere in Utah.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's not just Alexa. Recently up on Slashdot. 2 Million IoT Devices Enslaved By Fast-Growing BotNet And that's just one botnet. IoT means the Internet of things - random appliances and devices that have Internet access. Most are insecure either because of poor design or bad installation, like the user not changing the default password. (Why would you want your refrigerator connected to the Internet anyway??)

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

659 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1badf350, 160user, 1936M71, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,775 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,224
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.