Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Windfall
Like a lot of you I've got a CCW permit, but I only carry occasionally. I've thought about an ankle holster, but using that front right pocket in my jeans seems like a pretty darn handy place for my little J frame. It is a hammer model, so I suppose that it could snag, but it seems to me that a confrontation out on the mean streets wouldn't be a fast draw situation anyway. Having it along anywhere beats not having it with it home in the drawer.

Yeah, like you suggest, having delayed access to a pocket firearm is worlds better than not having access to one. Likewise, having a gun in your glove compartment (even if you're twenty yards or more away from it), is worlds better than not having such access. That said, having a handgun ready on your belt for a quick deployment is worlds better than having it in your pocket or glove compartment, especially when you consider all the security cam footage we have of successful self-defense with a concealed handgun, where a split second made the difference between a successful self-defense with a concealed handgun and a failed effort, leading to the death of the victim.

No way I'd carry in the pocket unless I had no other choice.

Ditto.. The only 'pocket-carry' I do is place one in any of my coats that have an inside pocket designed for a handgun. On occasion I'll carry a Kahr P-380 in an outside coat pocket but it's rare..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here in S/E Texas, shorts and boat shoes are the official dress. I am large enough to have large pockets. I carry either a j frame or Sig 938 in my front pocket. I also use EEZOX , a dry CLP which cuts down the amount of lint picked up. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Like a lot of you I've got a CCW permit, but I only carry occasionally. I've thought about an ankle holster, but using that front right pocket in my jeans seems like a pretty darn handy place for my little J frame. It is a hammer model, so I suppose that it could snag, but it seems to me that a confrontation out on the mean streets wouldn't be a fast draw situation anyway. Having it along anywhere beats not having it with it home in the drawer.

If the gun isn't a collector and you like it, bob the hammer.

Or get a 442 or an old M38 if you like J frames.

Just carry the gun.

Nothing wrong with pocket carry.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've always liked hammers and shoot single action way better than double action. One of the reasons that I switched away from my little .380 1911 style Colt Government was it is single action only and well "only" a .380. I got a line on a pre-lock J frame S&W 337 PD for .38+P and at only 10 ounces it can be both single or double action and hits harder. It is so light that I can forget that I even have it along. Probably not a collector piece, but I'm not about to grind on it. I did that to the front sight of a stainless S&W M60 front sight to get it on point of aim with 125 hp ammo and it wrecked the resale value.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Model 38 then. Shrouded hammer for single action, but the hump back gives no snag on draw.

modern equivalent is the 638 if you want new(er)

Resale value is the last thing on my mind when I'm thinking personal protection.

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Random thoughts----there's no such thing as a "fast draw" from a pocket holster or an ankle holster. If you decide to pocket carry, don't do it "occasionally" make it a daily habit so that you feel "unusual" when you don't have it in your pocket. Don't "suppose" that your hammer will snag, assume that it will--practice drawing from your pocket to confirm that a hammer gun is generally a poor choice, you'll ruin a number of trousers proving it to yourself-----pocket holsters are distinctly unserviceable to people that are seated and have limited space for mobility, in those cases ankle holsters, cross draw and shoulder holsters are far more accessible, i.e. if you're driving on a cross country vacation or you're a truck driver or in theater seating at a movie, in a pew at church, etc. then pocket carry is probably not your best choice. It requires a change of mindset but get your clothes to fit the gun, not a gun to fit your clothes. Go to Goodwill and get a couple of old jackets that fit you, try shooting thru the pocket to see how and if your gun will function with more than one round.

In the early 80's when I worked for Bianchi, we sold a set of J-frame grips that extended up the back of the frame and acted as a hammer shroud. It basically turned a model 36 into a model 49. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any for sale at gun shows for years, but they were a good attempt at making hammer guns less likely to snag.

JMO-YMMV.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
An LCR is holstered in my pocket most days. Right pocket if it's the only handgun. Left pocket if I have something on my right hip. Some pockets and jean cuts work well for it, some don't.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gmoats

In the early 80's when I worked for Bianchi, we sold a set of J-frame grips that extended up the back of the frame and acted as a hammer shroud. It basically turned a model 36 into a model 49. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any for sale at gun shows for years, but they were a good attempt at making hammer guns less likely to snag.

JMO-YMMV.

I remember those, they were called "Lightening" grips and versions were available to fit J & K-Frame RB revolvers and Colt D-Frames. I had a pair on a Mod 36 for a while but the grip was larger than it needed to be and the rubber composite material was a bit too "sticky" for pocket carry.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 41magfan; 10/23/17.

The uninitiated are always easily impressed.
NRA Endowment Member
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 41magfan

JMO-YMMV.

I remember those, they were called "Lightening" grips and two versions were available to fit J & K-Frame RB revolvers. I had a pair on a Mod 36 for a while but the grip was larger than it needed to be and the rubber composite material was a bit too "sticky" for pocket carry.

[Linked Image]

Yeah, something like that should be made of hard, smooth, plastic.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wish someone would make a modern stainless version of the late 19th century tiny breaktop in 32 S&W.
Barring that, if you like wheel guns, get yourself a LCR in 22LR.

Last edited by night_owl; 10/23/17.

abusus non tollit usum
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've always liked hammers and shoot single action way better than double action. One of the reasons that I switched away from my little .380 1911 style Colt Government was it is single action only and well "only" a .380. I got a line on a pre-lock J frame S&W 337 PD for .38+P and at only 10 ounces it can be both single or double action and hits harder. It is so light that I can forget that I even have it along. Probably not a collector piece, but I'm not about to grind on it. I did that to the front sight of a stainless S&W M60 front sight to get it on point of aim with 125 hp ammo and it wrecked the resale value.

Learn to shoot.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have pocket carried but honestly I've found I much prefer an IWB holster. A pocket carry seems to be an invitation to fumbling with the gun or holster when seconds count.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I have pocket carried but honestly I've found I much prefer an IWB holster. A pocket carry seems to be an invitation to fumbling with the gun or holster when seconds count.

Yeah, it's really mainly for when you have advance warning that something is up. For a sudden need to shoot to defend your life, when you get little or no warning, you need one on your belt.

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
L
I only carry when I am away from the house, and then it is a 380 pocket gun in a pocket holster in the right front pocket of my cargo pants or shorts.
Keeps my big fat fingers and other things off of the trigger and pocket dust out of the gun.
I'm thinking that the hammer on a small revolver could wear out a pocket pretty quickly.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Pocket carry is a pretty poor plan....but its a damn sight better plan than not carrying at all....which in and of itself is only moderately worse that "only carrying occasionally."

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by LouisB
I only carry when I am away from the house….

I don't know if you're aware of this, but almost ALL home invasions happen………………………..AT HOME! :-)

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Maybe like a couple of you have written that placing your hand in your right front pocket eliminates the need to produce the gun in the first place and makes a bad guy think twice about you as a victim. I was visiting a buddy last week and he said that he has four loaded guns stashed around the house. I think that I'll stash a couple more myself. Four years ago September 23 I didn't know that my kid had $5,800. stashed in his room because the bank was charging him a service charge. Some distance acquaintances knew about it and three of them decided to don ski masks and come in to find it. I'd never been robbed before so I wasn't as well behaved as they figured a retired guy should have been. I got 15 stitches out of the deal from a paving brick, plus some other injuries from a floor lamp and bar stool, but the guys left when they heard the shuck, shuck of my .45 going into condition one. The police dog tracked them a quarter mile to where they dropped their bloody jacket and ski mask and DNA did the rest. The one kid had prior burglary and got ten years, but he wouldn't rat out his two buddies. A real exciting evening. It happens.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Keep your weapons locked up. Except for the one you carry.

Why arm the bad guy?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by LouisB
I only carry when I am away from the house….

I don't know if you're aware of this, but almost ALL home invasions happen………………………..AT HOME! :-)

Exactly. I carry at home at all times I'm not sleeping, at which point it's right next to me.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by johnw
Keep your weapons locked up. Except for the one you carry.

Well, that's good advice IF you carry 24/7...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 17CalFan, 57 invisible), 2,448 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,946
Posts18,480,268
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.