Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
But only the specialized dremels built for sharpening saws hav e the depth gauge and cute little lines for angle.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Diesel
For around the farm, Stihl has all you would need. Get a sharpening jig and use it, keep fresh gas in it and you are good

PREMIUM gas, Sea Foam and synthetic 2 stroke oil.
(I haven't read all the replies)

Dave
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Charlie I can't believe you admitted that on a public forum.... smile

Seriously though, the Granberg is to sharpening chainsaw chain as the Apex Edge-Pro is to knife sharpening. If your a little off on your angles free-hand, the tool is your friend for staying on.

I've seen people though who swear up and down they can sharpen a loop of chain, but when you watch them cut it says much different. Case in point; my nephew makes his living as a wildland firefighter and even teaches saw safety stuff for them. When I watch him saw with a chain he sharpened, I feel sorry for a powerhead.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by SamOlson
All that is needed....

[Linked Image]

Hahahaha ......... that chain....... !

Dave
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Stihl tells you to touch up sharpen every tank of gas. I do this by hand filing, 3 strokes. Works good. No need for a grinder. Many times a worn bar is the culprit instead of the chain.

IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Yeah....good point.

Flip your bar once in a while.

I am MAGA.
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes flip your bar everyday if your sawing steady, and turning the oiler up help with bar wear.
Did you guys know your stihls and huskies have sights on them for falling trees? If you look on the fuel tank side there is a line sometimes its painted...those are to put your trees right where you want them to go.
Make your undercut utilizing the sights on the saw.

Last edited by 673; 10/23/17.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Lonny

Seriously though, the Granberg is to sharpening chainsaw chain as the Apex Edge-Pro is to knife sharpening. If your a little off on your angles free-hand, the tool is your friend for staying on.

I've seen people though who swear up and down they can sharpen a loop of chain, but when you watch them cut it says much different. Case in point; my nephew makes his living as a wildland firefighter and even teaches saw safety stuff for them. When I watch him saw with a chain he sharpened, I feel sorry for a powerhead.

Post a picture for folks if you could.

They were made by different folks and sold by different folks over the years. Sears and Montgomery Wards at least.

The earlier ‘file n joint’ by Granberg were some of the best I’ve been told.

A picture would help folks recognize them at yard sales and such.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have used the jigs, now just hand file. Don't let the perfectionists BS you, if you keep your depth gauges even and set right, a saw can cut very good with wonky looking teeth.
I am very serious about my saws, but if you angle varies a little it won't be noticable.

On another note, keep an eye on burrs that can form on the edge of the bar. The best cutting chain won't cut if those burrs hang up on the wood.
If you are getting a lot of those burrs, you are ruining your bar, sharpen better/more often.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by roundoak
[Linked Image]

Laffin....what a joke. I haven't come across a comparable Stihl that will run with My Husky 55. I have found Stihls to be cold natured and easy to flood when starting. An ol boy that I do some sawmilling with has a Stihl, and it takes it quite a while to get going without stalling out. At that point I have already cut a good bit. This happened just a few days ago. I have a Stihl weed eater that will be my last Stihl product.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 257_X_50
Originally Posted by Lonny

Post a picture for folks if you could.

They were made by different folks and sold by different folks over the years. Sears and Montgomery Wards at least.

The earlier ‘file n joint’ by Granberg were some of the best I’ve been told.

A picture would help folks recognize them at yard sales and such.

Since the photobucket debacle awhile back, I haven't taken the time to find a new photo hosting site. The Granberg in picture posted by Roundoak a page or two back looks pretty much just like mine from what I can tell.

Funny you should mention finding them at yards sales. My kid often goes to yard sales and awhile back, he bought a box of well-used-tools and some sort of chain sharpener thingamajig was in there.

257, I enjoy your posts on chainsaw topics. Thanks for sharing it.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
I've never sharpened a chainsaw blade, but I've lived most of my life with a file either in my hand or nearby. Thinking about it, I bet I could sharpen one freehand.

I just need to know what's the proper file.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bristoe

That depends on the size and type of chain on your saw.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I've never sharpened a chainsaw blade, but I've lived most of my life with a file either in my hand or nearby. Thinking about it, I bet I could sharpen one freehand.

They sell sets of them to cover all the different sizes. They're cheap. Like under $10.

There's a million videos on youtube about it.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Back in my youth 18-21 I worked in the woods in the much hated state of Oregon, on a slice of heaven called the Warm Springs Indian reservation.. Tuesday-Thursday we had 6-8 on our crew, Friday-Monday maybe 3 of us lol another story another day.. . Anyhow the saws we ran were stihl 044mag or a huski 281.. running 32-36 inch bars everyday after work we would sit and sharpen the chains [bleep] did it suck. So we ran full skip...

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I use a Pferd sharpening jig. It does the teeth and rakers at the same time and is quick and portable. I have a harbor freight electric sharpener as well and it does a surprisingly decent job for as cheap as it is.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
What kind of jigs are you folks using to sharpen your chains?

35+ years as a toolmaker has left me pretty handle with a file, but I'd prefer a jig to cut every tooth alike.

Sorry about the lack of picture quality, I use an Oregon unit and have had no problems with it. I simply sharpen twelve chains and ignore the sharpening issue 'til I get down to three sharp chains.

[Linked Image]

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I would suggest buying your saw from a saw shop.

They will sell you the appropriate files and gauges.

No doubt give a little instruction.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Originally Posted by roundoak
[Linked Image]

Laffin....what a joke. I haven't come across a comparable Stihl that will run with My Husky 55. I have found Stihls to be cold natured and easy to flood when starting. An ol boy that I do some sawmilling with has a Stihl, and it takes it quite a while to get going without stalling out. At that point I have already cut a good bit. This happened just a few days ago. I have a Stihl weed eater that will be my last Stihl product.

No joke, I am serious, however your experience may vary.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I might go get me one too

Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

250 members (338reddog, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2UP, 257 mag, 35, 22 invisible), 1,795 guests, and 928 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,505
Posts18,490,623
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.