R
Good article - and very doable...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
It's the latest fad with millenials.

It's a form of rebellion from the Gen Xer's and the Boomers.

Interview him again in 10 years. Guaranteed he ain't living in a fugkin' van.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Redneck

Doable for who?

Where's he parking that POS? Who does he plug in with? Who pays for it? How often is he running a generator? How long will his generators last being used at the rate he's using them? What if you have to work somewhere cold? What's the heating cost?

Where do most people work? WTF is gonna drive an RV as a commuter? And more importantly, how many businesses can accommodate the parking?

I can sum his whole idea up much more succinctly. "I don't work or have a family so I can live in a van."

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My wife is always reading about tiny houses. Yesterday she showed me a couple articles about how to live in a conversion van. Cheap, yes, but why live like that?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Yesterday she showed me a couple articles about how to live in a conversion van.

Living in a van, down by the river?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I like a big house!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hanco
I like a big house!

Me too!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My thoughts are that he's a loser.

"A professional musician, he can work by computer from any location." Yeah, right. I know guys in the music business who make well more than he's making, so my take-away is that he sucks at his chosen profession.

A better article would be focused on how you can make $250k a year in the music business so you don't have to live in a van.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
tiny house doesn't have the room to store even my camping gear. God knows you can't put my gun safes in one. No, I'll stick with a regular house, and keep my stuff.

Sam......

IC B3

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by skeen
My thoughts are that he's a loser. A better article would be focused on how you can make $250k a year so you don't have to live in a van.

No doubt.

I think a lot of these folks are delusional and live in denial about their situation. They make themselves believe they are happier living in a van down by the river so they don’t have to face the fact that they don’t get to have fun(read the entertainment section) they have no girlfriend or family, a job that pays 11k and no purpose to pursue.

If you want to live in an RV that’s fine, but I assure you, you only get one ride in this pony show and I don’t plan on spending mine living like a gypsy.

No task is half-a$$ed more than the spelling of Creedmoor...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think he is trying to romanticize homelessness.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Yesterday she showed me a couple articles about how to live in a conversion van.

Living in a van, down by the river?

One article she showed me wasn't living by a river. They were parking it in 'hidden in plain sight' places like Walmart parking lots where nobody would take a 2d notice. That's not living. It's merely existing.

― George Orwell

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by deflave

Doable for who?

Where's he parking that POS? Who does he plug in with? Who pays for it? How often is he running a generator? How long will his generators last being used at the rate he's using them? What if you have to work somewhere cold? What's the heating cost?

Where do most people work? WTF is gonna drive an RV as a commuter? And more importantly, how many businesses can accommodate the parking?

I can sum his whole idea up much more succinctly. "I don't work or have a family so I can live in a van."

Clark
I think he's retired.. But many can work from their RV. As far as parking goes, there are RV sites that can either be purchased (15-25K$) and then the only fees are electricity and maintenance.. I've looked into those. It would run about $150 mo.. Other parks in places offer long-term parking for about $450-500/mo.. There's a guy about 50 miles SE of me that owns 2 acres. He has a very small shed on it, has electricity and a driveway. He parks his trailer on it for 7+ months a year then heads south to a friend's ranch for the winter..

There are a LOT of full-timers in RVs. Done properly, a retired couple can live quite easily for under $2K/mo...but there's also a lot of full-timers who work from their camper.. The carpenter that built my parents' house back in '65 spent his retirement in a camper and went from park to park, working part-time repairing/building things for the park in exchange for a site... Worked out very well for him..

YMMV

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I like a big house!
Most do.. But when one gets older it gets more difficult (and expensive) to maintain one.. Then there's the fact that yer gonna pay "X" thousands of bux/year in property taxes - just for the 'privilege' of living there. Most of my friends I see every day have sold their houses, moved to town in either an apartment or a smaller town home. These guys are in their 70s+.

But as long as one has the bux to keep a home - hey, gopherit.. laugh

Full-timing's (RV) not for everyone, obviously.. But you might be amazed at how many people actually do it.. Same with some people living full-time on boats.. It's not for everyone - but people do it..

smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Fortunately he has others that like bigger homes that can help subsidize his health insurance too.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I like a big house!
Most do.. But when one gets older it gets more difficult (and expensive) to maintain one.. Then there's the fact that yer gonna pay "X" thousands of bux/year in property taxes - just for the 'privilege' of living there. Most of my friends I see every day have sold their houses, moved to town in either an apartment or a smaller town home. These guys are in their 70s+.

But as long as one has the bux to keep a home - hey, gopherit.. laugh

Full-timing's (RV) not for everyone, obviously.. But you might be amazed at how many people actually do it.. Same with some people living full-time on boats.. It's not for everyone - but people do it..

smile

I'll be damned if I ever pay thousands of dollars in property taxes a year.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Sheit, Momma and I have 20 acres, and sometimes I think that is not enough room to keep my crap. If it were not for the adjoining farm fields, it certainly would not be enough buffer from other human population.

And the Walmart stores around here have recently posted "NO OVERNIGHT PARKING" signs. So there goes your free campgrounds.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by skeen
My thoughts are that he's a loser.

"A professional musician, he can work by computer from any location." Yeah, right. I know guys in the music business who make well more than he's making, so my take-away is that he sucks at his chosen profession.

A better article would be focused on how you can make $250k a year in the music business so you don't have to live in a van.

The guy is a loser! It's all fun and games while you beat the system and live off the grid. Some day he will find out why living under the interstate overpass in a refrigerator box won't satisfy his real life needs, then he will move into a care facility where society can pick up the tab for his care.

The bad news is, he has the equal vote to redistribute the money others make.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
For years Walmart has welcomed overnighters. It's good business and PR. Their intent was RV's needing a place in their travels. I guess they're getting too many long term 'campers'.

― George Orwell

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (14idaho, 35, 405winash, 257robertsimp, 01Foreman400, 12 invisible), 865 guests, and 871 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,845
Posts18,517,407
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.