-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anyone have or shoot one of these? They look kinda funky,but being a lefty and finding guns in the caliber you want ,can be a project.

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Yes. Once you get past the funkiness, it's a pretty good shooter. Buddy has a LH for sale with a couple of barrels and bolt assembles. He's more of a rifle slut than I am. Thinks he needs them all, then realizes he doesn't have the time to shoot them. Let me know if you're interested in buying a like new LH. I can put you in touch with him.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have messed with one in my quest for a poor man's take down rifle. The scope is mounted very high above the bore line necessitating the "hogback" like stock. Scope mounts are very expensive. Like all T/C barrels very good accuracy, Barrels attach with a barrel nut similar to Savage. Torque wrench like tool sets the barrel tension. Take down is not quick but good return to zero after reassembly. Straight line 3 shot detachable magazine. Have 2 barrels : 300 Win mag and a 416 Ruger made from a rebored 7mm mag barrel. Torque generated by a 400 grain bullet hitting the rifling unscrews the barrel nut but not with 300 WM barrel so may have to add a set screw. If you change barrels stay within same bolt/magazine size or the cost is almost equal to a new rifle (Ruger American, T/C Compass, etc.).

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Sorry, too oogly for me. I'd much rather have a Savage, and those are far from my favorites.

What fresh Hell is this?
W
WvZ Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I've shot a couple of Dimensions and found them both accurate. I secured one with only the main action screw and shot a 3/4-inch group. Neither barrel switching nor changes in assembly seemed to affect accuracy. Mechanically, it's a cleverly designed rifle. Getting past the profile is no harder than accepting rings in the lips and noses of otherwise attractive people.... WvZ

IC B2

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I had one in .308 for a few months. It was accurate, and once you got past the ugly poodle hunched up looking stock. It was actually comfortable to shoot and felt good, as good as a plastic stock can feel. The trigger adjusted down very nicely. The stock adjustability is there for youth or shorter folks.

But in a switch barrel, if you have a 7-08 or the .308 there's not much need for any of the other options in that bolt group, same for the .270/30-06 group. And like someone else said, if you have to change out the bolt to go with another cartridge group, might as well get another rifle. Now that you can get a 6.5 creedmoor barrel for it, if you could get a .338 Federal or .358 Win barrel it would make a nice set with less overlap. But if you're not going to get multiple barrels I would just rather get another rifle.

The barrel channel is hollowed out to accept varmint contour barrels that TC has not yet produced, It would make a nice light/heavy gun in whichever cartridge you choose to use, if they produced barrels for it.

The reciever is aluminum and was easily chipped and showed wear on the sample I had. It is a 21 trick move to get the bolt out for cleaning. The magazine well on mine was finicky and just looked and felt sloppy. The barrel swap feature is easy to do and would make it very easy to experiment with different cartridges for someone who didn't already have all of the other bases covered though.

Bob.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (007FJ, 21, 160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 70 invisible), 2,586 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,088
Posts18,482,916
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.