Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have all kinds of sharpening stones, diamond stones, whet stones that you put oil on etc.
But the best way to sharpen a knife is on the widow of a car.
Set the window where it sticks up from the door frame about 5 inches and sharpen that knife on the top edge of the glass.
Glass = Ceramic

I know it sounds weird but it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zleVA9yxdm8

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
IF I need a touch up in the field, I use an EZLap diamond stick and a leather strop. At home, I use an EdgePro Apex. Depending on the knife and the use, I will finish with polish tapes up to several thousands grit, a crock stick or a leather strop and compound.

Sam......

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by okie john
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I use a Dozier and I prefer a toothier edge with his D2. It will still shave but it's not as hair popping sharp the way I sharpen it. A really hair popping edge is smooth and will dull easily. I prefer a toothier cutting edge. It will bite quick and keep that edge a long time.

I use a Red DMT diamond. It only needs touching up every couple deer.

This.

I have DMT Diamond stones in blue (coarse) red (medium), and green (fine). I only use the blue on knives that are in really bad shape, and do most of my work with the red. I rarely use the green. I'll hit one side of the blade 10 strokes with medium pressure, then hit the other side 10 strokes. Then I'll repeat that with 8 strokes, then 6, and so on down to one. If the edge still needs help, then I'll repeat the sequence using lighter pressure.

The key is not letting a blade get too dull in the first place. It's easier to keep a knife sharp than it is to get it sharp.

Okie John

I would also like to say for anyone buying a new DMT, that is will be too coarse at first but will soon wear to a point where it is perfect and will not wear any more. Sharpen a few less expensive knives first until it wears to the perfect point. I also much prefer the plastic base DMT with the holes to the ones on a solid steel plate. I have used both extensively and feel the plastic base ones last longer and work better.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by fishdog52
Work Sharp with after market,very fine grit, belts.

You have a source?

I had a heck of a time sharpening my Ingrams with just about everything. Work Sharp takes just a few minutes and they are sharp.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Calvin
Originally Posted by fishdog52
Work Sharp with after market,very fine grit, belts.

You have a source?

I had a heck of a time sharpening my Ingrams with just about everything. Work Sharp takes just a few minutes and they are sharp.

Have you tried the DMT diamond stones? I would always recommend them for harder metals.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When at home, I use sandpaper on my table saw top. Piece of cardboard for a strop.

I'm another one that hones a blade on my pickup window when it's handy.

Carry a small ceramic rod for same in the field, but most of the knives I use these days don't dull that quick.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a Work Sharp, the Ken Onion version, and I have a Lansky.
There is no comparison, Lansky gets knives much sharper.

NRA Patron
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Stone

tom

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Harbor freight 2" belt sander, $50, $40 on sale.

Diamond and zircon sanding belts, 800 to 20 micron.

Leather strop treated with 1 micron diamond paste.

Gets results like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4idiwZCfiFE

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Alamosa
None of mine would be considered razor sharp.
Never got the hang of using the stone or hone rod.
I seem to be the only one that uses a Smith brand sharpener.
I follow that with a strop.

I carry a Smith in my pack and have used it often. It's very good for a touchup now and then.
There are a lot of good sharpeners out there. The trick is to decide on an angle and never change it. If you use a 15 degree one time then a 20 degree later, you screw up the edge. Make sure all of your sharpeners are the same.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I pay a guy 2 bucks to do it, works great!

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
Spiderco is the answer to the question... But since you didn't ask, I have switched to the havalon style knife, I just don't have enough time to sit around sharpening knives anymore.

Would you like to just keep explaining the problem or do you want the solution?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Itchy_Finger
Spiderco is the answer to the question... But since you didn't ask, I have switched to the havalon style knife, I just don't have enough time to sit around sharpening knives anymore.
That's why I got a Worksharp. We have a bunch of kitchen knives. I can put a great edge on all of them in about 10 min. I use a medium belt with the Worksharp and finish off with a few pulls through a ceramic sharpener for the final edge. I could easily dress an elk with any knife in the kitchen drawer.
A couple years ago, my MIL moved in with us. She had a bunch of knives that she just loves but they had never been sharpened. They were atrocious, as deadly sharp as a butter knife. The Worksharp only took a few minutes to have them all shaving sharp.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by Itchy_Finger
That's why I got a Worksharp. We have a bunch of kitchen knives. I can put a great edge on all of them in about 10 min. I use a medium belt with the Worksharp and finish off with a few pulls through a ceramic sharpener for the final edge. I could easily dress an elk with any knife in the kitchen drawer.

Get a traditional steel from Dexter Russell and you won't have to resharpen those knives but about once a year. They will last longer. I've used several steels that were crap compared to the DR.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Clark,

Which DR steels do you use?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use a Dozier and I prefer a toothier edge with his D2. It will still shave but it's not as hair popping sharp the way I sharpen it. A really hair popping edge is smooth and will dull easily. I prefer a toothier cutting edge. It will bite quick and keep that edge a long time.

Here is a demonstration of your theory in real life . . .

Here is the following on video which explains his covex theory. . .

Finishing up with full height convexing .. .

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by deflave
Clark,

I can't find a number or anything on them. They have black plastic handles, are 10" and I thought said traditional when I bought them. They were under $20 from a restaurant supply no longer in business. I bought one of the 3 rod ceramic sharpeners from the came place though that was less than $50 and the Dexter Russell site says that sharpener is $100,so it's hard to tell by prices on the DR site which ones I have. I wish they had number designations.

The steel is smooth,in that it doesn't have any of the ridges on it like some other brand steels but the surface is about like 1500 grit sandpaper.

Hope that helps.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

Here is a demonstration of your theory in real life . . .

Here is the following on video which explains his covex theory. . .

Really,I don't need to watch a video to test my theory. I've been testing it for the last 30 years. What edge you need on a particular knife depends also on edge geometry,the steel,and the hardness. I've made all kinds of knives my friend, ground them differently,sharpened them differently,and actually used them in the field. I know from real experience what works and what doesn't. I've sharpened knives so sharp that they would cut arm hair without touching the skin. I've learned though that for a working knife in the real world it's just a waste of my time and effort to take a knife to that level of sharpness,because it will loose that perfect edge very quickly,and be right back to where I would have been had I quit when it was just simply shaving sharp. Thanks for the video though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lanski sharpener. Excellent tool and you can resharpen to the factory angles. Unlike many sharpeners that reangle to match the sharpener, not the knife.

Last edited by centershot; 10/27/17.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by deflave
Clark,

I can't find a number or anything on them. They have black plastic handles, are 10" and I thought said traditional when I bought them. They were under $20 from a restaurant supply no longer in business. I bought one of the 3 rod ceramic sharpeners from the came place though that was less than $50 and the Dexter Russell site says that sharpener is $100,so it's hard to tell by prices on the DR site which ones I have. I wish they had number designations.

The steel is smooth,in that it doesn't have any of the ridges on it like some other brand steels but the surface is about like 1500 grit sandpaper.

Hope that helps.

Good enough. Thank you.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 57 invisible), 2,346 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,514
Posts18,472,404
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.