Mule Deer (WY, CO, NE)
Whitetail Deer (KS, CO, TX, NE, MT)
Shiras Moose (CO, WY)
Cougar (CO)
Black Bear (CO)
Alaska Brown Bear (AK)
Barren Ground Caribou (AK)
Pronghorn Antelope (CO, WY)

At last count, over 110 critters of these species have ended up in the freezer, or on the wall in some form or fashion. After nearly 60 years of BG hunting, nowadays it's just whitetails on the farm, for meat-still very enjoyable hunting.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Javalina, alligator, wolf, fox, coyote, not on the list?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice collection there Bighorn.

Congratulations on your sheep slam. I see where you got your name.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I shot a couple prairie dogs and hit a whitetail doe with a van once.

Black Cows Matter!
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I love to hunt to feed my brood. Honestly, and this is one thing I agree with Ted Nugent on, I don't see the draw of quota quests. It is nice to whack a Trophy when it presents itself. But, I don't go paying for them intentionally.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Somebody already mentioned wolves and alligators not being on the list. One thing that's puzzled me for a long time is why aren't any seals on the list, but walruses are?

Here's another question for "listers": The borderlines between grizzlies and Alaskan brown bears is different for B&C and SCI. In 2009 I took a bear in Alaska that would be a brown bear according to B&C, even though it was over 200 miles from the nearest salt water, but would be a grizzly according to SCI. Was it both?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Brozzly? Brizzly?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, it was both. Depends on what it identified as... laugh

My list:
Whitetail Deer
Mule Deer
Sitka Blacktail
Rocky Mountain Elk
Pronghorn
Bison

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Whitetail deer, mule deer, antelope, Rocky Mountain elk, Canada moose, bighorn sheep.

Not listed, hog.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Rocky Mountain Elk
Mountain Goat
Mule Deer
Whitetail Deer
Pronghorn
Alligator
Wild Boar
Black Bear

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another borderline difference between B&C and SCI is the Shiras moose.

B&C has always used the US/Canada border as the northern borderline for Shiras moose.

SCI put the northern borderline for Shiras moose somewhere in Canada so that moose from southern British Columbia and southern Alberta are scored as Shiras moose. I believe they did that because Shiras moose tags in the lower 48 are all on a very limited draw system, so many of their members couldn't just "buy" a Shiras moose for the SCI record book and various slams.

Last edited by buffybr; 11/01/17.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by buffybr
Another borderline difference between B&C and SCI is the Shiras moose.

B&C has always used the US/Canada border as the northern borderline for Shiras moose.

SCI put the northern borderline for Shiras moose somewhere in Canada so that moose from southern British Columbia and southern Alberta are scored as Shiras moose. I believe they did that because Shiras moose tags in the lower 48 are all on a very limited draw system, so many of their members couldn't just "buy" a Shiras moose for the SCI record book and various slams.

I believe the SCI boundary is the Bow River drainage in Alberta.

Rather than your SCI conspiracy theory, there is a very noted difference in size and confirmation of moose antlers between north and south of the Bow.

I agreed with this long before I became a SCI member. The 49th parrael is just a line drawn on a map and has no basis in the differences in the moose or moose habitat.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I'm working on it.....So far I have killed a pile of whitetails. so that's 1......only 28 to go. I figure it will stay that way.

Big congratulations to you hunters who are chasing the dream. It is an amazing accomplishment in the world of hunting.

I'll never see you all on the pinnacle, but I will revel in your success.

Don't let the name fool Ya!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There's 30 critters on that list, not including the auxiliary. I do believe it is the Cali Bighorn, which is a desert subspecies of Rocky Mountain bighorn that isn't part of the North American 29.

Anyhow, I have a grand total of 8.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Somehow I've managed to hunt 15 successfully on that list. Have to say, I'm no fan of lists, slams, etc. I just like to explore different country and hunt a variety of critters as the opportunities present themselves.

RM elk
Whitetail
Mule deer
Coues deer
Sitka blacktail
Dall sheep
Desert Sheep
Bighorn Sheep
Pronghorn
AK moose
Shiras moose
Mountain Goat
Black bear
Muskox
Mountain lion

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by T_Inman
There's 30 critters on that list, not including the auxiliary. I do believe it is the Cali Bighorn, which is a desert subspecies of Rocky Mountain bighorn that isn't part of the North American 29.

Anyhow, I have a grand total of 8.

The Rocky Mountain, California, and Desert Bighorns are all sub species of Ovis Canadensis. Grand Slam Club/Ovis will accept either a Rocky Mountain or a California Bighorn for that subspecies on their list.

T_Inman, what are your 8 critters?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Blacktail
Whitetail
Mule deer
Roosevelt Elk
Rocky Mountain Elk
Antelope
Eastern Turkey
Merriams Turkey
Black bear
Coues Deer

Pretty much all I have ever hunted... Never wanted to hunt much else...

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a slightly different attitude about this.I worked as a game guide in my younger days and simply was not impressed. The last hunter I ever had flew in from the arctic having killed # 28 , a polar bear and now was to find a Shiras moose with me. Well, we got a decent Bull right away and he didn't appear to enjoy any of It, didn't care for the Rocky Mountain scenery and even mentioned that the Polar.bear hunt was uninteresting. This guy just wanted SCI to award him . I Don't think he even liked being outside at all and he was no help getting that bull out of the bush, I caped it and promptly took him to the airport.Bye.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by comerade
I have a slightly different attitude about this.I worked as a game guide in my younger days and simply was not impressed. The last hunter I ever had flew in from the arctic having killed # 28 , a polar bear and now was to find a Shiras moose with me. Well, we got a decent Bull right away and he didn't appear to enjoy any of It, didn't care for the Rocky Mountain scenery and even mentioned that the Polar.bear hunt was uninteresting. This guy just wanted SCI to award him . I Don't think he even liked being outside at all and he was no help getting that bull out of the bush, I caped it and promptly took him to the airport.Bye.

Unfortunately there are people like that and they have the audacity of calling themselves hunters.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The borderlines between grizzlies and Alaskan brown bears is different for B&C and SCI. In 2009 I took a bear in Alaska that would be a brown bear according to B&C, even though it was over 200 miles from the nearest salt water, but would be a grizzly according to SCI. Was it both?

Same here....I shot mine 200 miles north of Dillingham, but still considered a BB.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (270cowboy, 1minute, 2500HD, 1badf350, 280Jeff, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,331 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,170
Posts18,503,120
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.