Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
It takes what, maybe 2 minutes to unzip one. It's killing, it's supposed to be messy.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I spend more time digging out my knife and rolling up my sleeves than it does to unzip one.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I grew up "gutting" a deer immediately after killing it. We then took it home and finished cleaning it and either cut it up ourselves or took it to the processor we had in that day. Now, I hunt within 15 mins. of our house. It is actually closer to the processor than it is my home. 95% of the time I hunt by myself and because of my back condition, I cannot lift a deer into the back of the truck by myself. So, either I find someone on my club to help me, or I back up my truck to the deer (when possible) and drag it out to the nearby road, back up my truck to the ditch which allows me to just drag the deer into the truck bed. Since my processor will completely dress the deer and I can be there usually under 30 mins. from time I shoot the deer, I no longer even gut the deer. If I stay bent over these days to field dress the deer, I am done for the next several days because of my back. No brainer for me.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I spend more time digging out my knife and rolling up my sleeves than it does to unzip one.

Same. Taking my time to get it really good, 10 min max. Usually more like 5-6.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I started hunting in the Catskill Mountains and Adirondack Mountains. I always gutted deer where they fell. When I moved to the Southeast I was totally taken back by gutting deer back at the cabin. I think it might have something to do with the generous tags. Maybe folks think it will booger up an area if they want to hunt it again. I think it's a regional thing. I never used a 4wheeler back in the day either. It's the way I get around on the farm now.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

IC B2

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Damn if I know why you wouldnt gut your deer on the spot, where Kill deer its a hell of a drag to get em back without the guts, these guys got to huntin farms where they can drive right up to them with there truck or ATV, I hunt rugged steep Mtn terrian, no ATV's and no roads for F150's....Lol.....Hb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

If I want to hunt the same stand again, I don't need coyotes, wolves, ravens, eagles, etc. buggering me.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
About that gutless dressing: I've done 4 or 5 elk and 2 moose that way. Every one of them was extra tough meat. The muscle fibers will contract as they cool. Contracted muscles are very tough. Leaving it on the bone until it's cool will keep the fibers stretched and much more tender. Leaving it overnight before boning is the best but not always practical. I try to gut and skin them for faster cooling but of course the skinning isn't something you want to do if you need to drag it.

This is a good post with a lot of valid information.

TV has become nothing more than the Petri dish where this country grows its idiots.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Depends on circumstances, but I prefer to hang them for a few days once gutted/skinned...proper temps/facilities, of course. I’ve hunted places that didn’t allow gut piles outside of a specific spot, required whole weight for biology records, and had scales on the gutting/skinning hoists. I’ve also packed them out of hell’s half acre in pieces. I’ve also had mature bucks walk within 10’ of a fresh gut pile on the same day. Do what you gotta do.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 10/28/17.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Well we are hunting small farms in the east and frequently the deer is only a short drag from vehicle access. We use an Amish procession and I usually have the deer there within a hour or so from killing it two hours tops . The Amish boys will dress it for $10 so after 30years of doing it myself I splurge and let them do it whenever possible. I've done enough postmortems to know what a bullet wound looks like and don't care if I ever do another.. besides not fi eld dressing in the woods means no dirt, leaves grass & twigs get inside the deer.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Today I drug a blacktail buck whole 30 yards to a creek, got the Jeep to the creek, and still quartered it so I didn't have to open it up. Nothing hits the dirt if the quarters get dropped in a bag and set in the creek to cool.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
shaman,

Is that deer-weight tape the one from Pennsylvania, designed by the game biology department at Penn State? I tested one of those, thanks to a reader from Pennsylvania who sent one along. That fall Eileen and I took five whitetails here in Montana, three does and two bucks, and compared the "tape weight" to the actual field-dressed weight according to our freight scale--which had been tested for accuracy with check-weights.

Here's my tape:
[img]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51F1aJJrxYL.jpg[/img

It could be the KY deer are closer to the PA deer. I've had the tape for 16 years and the scale for about 14. All I know is the scale and the tape agree fairly closely at our pole. I don't mean to say I've made a science of it. However, for a few years, we were doing both, and now we mostly do the tape. The tape is a pretty good indicator of yield. If I get one that reads 90lb or more processed weight, I've learned it is a good idea to wait and see how it fits in the freezer before taking another one.

Another thing: I gut them hanging from the neck. That stretches out the rib cage. If you hang from the back legs, it makes the rib cage expand. I measure just before I open them up.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i guess if you are going to soak your meat then not gutting right away is ok but i don't want the blood staying in my meat any longer than possible. i always gut them as soon as i can get to them.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Huh? Other than cooling considerations, unless you gut shoot your deer or they’re alive for a long time after the shot, it can’t matter. Deer live all their lives with their innards and body fluids. Being dead a few minutes with them doesn’t magically chang the meat.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
Huh? Other than cooling considerations, unless you gut shoot your deer or they’re alive for a long time after the shot, it can’t matter. Deer live all their lives with their innards and body fluids. Being dead a few minutes with them doesn’t magically chang the meat.

Pretty much. smile
If you're looking for other pieces of wisdom, srw can advise on how to long-arm a deer for picts too.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I eat liver and heart....soo...fk the coyotes. They can get their own.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Mostly gut them where they fall, but sometime Ill drag them off a bit, so I dont mess up the stand. the yotes Coons, ect will have the gut pile gone in a day or two anyway, heard a rumor today that the Michigan DNR because of the EDH problem, are talking about passing a Law that would make gutting in the woods a No No! I think that would SUCK!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Today I drug a blacktail buck whole 30 yards to a creek, got the Jeep to the creek, and still quartered it so I didn't have to open it up. Nothing hits the dirt if the quarters get dropped in a bag and set in the creek to cool.

How did you get the tenderloins inside the lumbar spine without opening it.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
not gutting is a southern thing

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
We all don’t like to gut deer way down here.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (1badf350, 1234, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 19rabbit52, 66 invisible), 15,963 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,160
Posts18,542,788
Members74,058
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.