Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Formi, much thanks. Great test and report.

Jay, I'm thinking the reason he said it was a $1000 scope was to remove pre-conceived thoughts of cheap glass.

I was guessing the same, just wanted to verify that he realized it was their budget/lowest priced centerfire scope.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
There's a few members who's posts are an invaluable resource. Form is one of em.

Obviously there is a huge market for this type of scope and a customer base willing to spend reasonably large sums for products of dubious manufacture/origin and no track record. Tract, Athlon, GPO, etc.....

Just had a 2.5-8 Leupold go south yesterday on a 7-08. Ive had a tough time admitting that they just aren't the gold standard I'd always believed them to be. My next purchase will be an SHV or a SWFA 3-9.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Form, please get ahold of a few Athlons and put an end to the madness.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thank you for taking the time to do the testing and post the results.

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
thorough and detailed test.

thank you

IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Stick,

You need to give Ronnie and/or Chris a call and let them go smack their bedding/QC guy over the head.

Originally Posted by 4th_point
Formi,

Thanks for the report. I appreciate your willingness to perform the test, document with images, and then write the report. It's a good deal of work.

Makes me wonder how many people chase their tale with equipment that doesn't work properly.

Jason

A bunch. What's interesting is how many people will argue that their scopes are awesome, yet the first time they get behind one that actually works the look of surprise when the bullet moved EXACTLY the 3.7 mils that they adjusted. I see people shoot bunches of scopes that they think are doing fine, yet I can tell they're broken.

Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Great review. What was the reason behind telling them $1000

Remove preconceived notions. People "see" what they believe/want to see. Cover the label up and hand a bunch of people an S&B and tell them it's BSA, and quite a few of them will look through it and say "yeah, it sucks". Conversely, do the same with a Leupold Rifleman yet tell them it's the new Swarovski, and they believe it's great. This really is the source of all the "just as good as" nonsense.

Originally Posted by Mjduct

Form,

Great review, I love the detail and I can promise you some of my scopes would fail!!!! The "response" is their lower end right like a $300 scope? Its a tough comparison to hold it up next to a Nightforce ATACR which can run up to 3K depending on the model.

But, if something is claimed to be "as good as" then it needs to be put to that same test. Not a "proportionally for the money as good as" test...soooo, in short good work, the comparison is apples to oranges, but if an apple calls itself an orange, it should be tested as such.

I didn't compare it to the NF, just used it as a baseline. You have to remove errors and doubts in the shooter/gun/weapon system. SWFA SS's pass the above with flying colors- including their $300 1-4x Classic. You are correct on the "just as good as" statement. Tract has repeatedly said that their scopes, including the Response works perfectly, and are great scopes, just at a lower price point because of the direct to consumer model. They chose to send out the $300 scope to be evaluated and assured that it was held to the same standards as their top of the line models.

Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
Thank God someone is putting the truth out there, I sold a couple of good guns in the past before I realised that the so called bulletproof Leupold I was testing them with was the problem.

Went through a lot of that before realizing how bad most scopes really are as an aiming device.

Originally Posted by jimmyp
Formidilosus thank you for the detailed examination and study of the tract response. Maybe many of us are getting past wanting to argue objective size, resolution, chromatic aberration, FOV, "brightness", and eye relief.

20-30 years ago "glass" mattered. There was a huge difference between a $200 scope and a $800 scope. Today there isn't. A Leupold VX1 has the clarity, brightness, and resolution to kill animals in any legal light. There just isn't that much difference anymore. Look at all the "just as good as" companies that crow about "glass" and "features"..... Their glass is good and they do have features.... but they fail as aiming devices.

Originally Posted by Pappy348
Well, that's disappointing, especially that the groups were larger than with other scopes on the same rifle. I'm not any kind of optics expert, but that alone indicates to me that all the other tests weren't going to go well. Looks like I'm going to have to mount my SS on a couple more rifles to verify how they really shoot.

I had never looked at this line of Tracts, but after reading this went to their site and checked it out. The Response scopes are made in the Philippines as are their .22 scopes, not Japan like the Toric and Tekoa. At $374, considering all the "features", it's not all that surprising that it didn't measure up even given the direct sales model that's supposed to deliver more value per dollar. If you're going cheaper, then it makes sense to go simpler as well.

Since my hunting rifles are operated in set and forget mode, I'm crossing my fingers that the Tekoa 3-12 on my Grendel will hold its zero. If it goes down, at least I got it on sale! But it looks like the search for a reliable hunting scope with a proper reticle for the purpose, covered low-profile turrets, and hopefully weight of maybe a pound or less (fixed 6x) will continue.

Nice work, Form. Thanks.

No problem. You are correct- within the first five rounds it was obvious that this scope was going to have problems. A lot of times it only takes one shot. If that one round doesn't go exactly where it is supposed to by the adjustments applied to the turrets- it's going to have problems.

Manufacturers do not design/spec scopes with incorrect functioning, i.e.- inconsistent adjustments, incorrect tracking and failure to return to zero are all symptoms of a greater problem.... bad Quality Control. I have seen it hundreds of times- a scope doesn't track, doesn't return to zero, but seems to stay zeroed once there. Eventually these scope gives problems as like losing zero, etc. because the incorrect functioning in the beginning showed that their was a problem with it. A manufacturer that doesn't care about "dialing" doesn't care about staying zeroed either...

sure would like to see a similar test on the toric, a light 12 inch drop is a hell of a lot less than my scopes get from time to time.

A 12" drop is nothing. 24" is just approaching being meaningful.

I would like to see the Toric as well, however Tract has stated several times that their lower cost scopes are held to the same standards, so I tend to believe them.

Originally Posted by ctsmith
Formi, much thanks. Great test and report.

Jay, I'm thinking the reason he said it was a $1000 scope was to remove pre-conceived thoughts of cheap glass.

Yes sir, exactly.

Originally Posted by djb
Good review.

Scopes really are becoming much more niche oriented. A set and forget hunting scope for shooting out to 200 yds doesn't require the same characteristics as a long range 'dialing' scope. My Leupold FX-II 4x has stayed zeroed for years for my needs and I don't mess with it. My hunts also are public land where my average shot <100 yds. The dialing/long range phenomenon sudden has many inexperienced folks thinking they have to have a target scope to hunt where the vast majority of shots are under 150 yds.

I guess the consumer needs to make an honest assessment of what equipment requirements they have and buy accordingly. If they think they are going to shoot game at 500 yds, with a 'tactical' scope, and it has to be less than 12 oz, AND cost <$300 they are going to be disappointing.

That is true. I would say that older Leupolds performed pretty well at holding zero, but newer ones do not share that trait. Have seen multiple fixed 4x and 6x's with problems straight from the box.

Originally Posted by wareagle700
Form, please get ahold of a few Athlons and put an end to the madness.

I have. They're just like everyone else's "spec'" scopes. Their Cronus seems to be ok, but it's also a $2,000 scope. All their other lines that I have seen.... well, they have features.

Why people will willingly spend lots of money on unproven, over hyped and over marketed products, but won't spend $300 on a bombproof scope that just works baffles me. Slick salesman and catchy marketing really do work I guess.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

sure would like to see a similar test on the toric, a light 12 inch drop is a hell of a lot less than my scopes get from time to time.

A 12" drop is nothing. 24" is just approaching being meaningful.

I would like to see the Toric as well, however Tract has stated several times that their lower cost scopes are held to the same standards, so I tend to believe them.

Form, I read your post this morning(very imformative report BTW) and did a drop test soon afterwards.

30-36" waist high (repeated)drops with both a Toric 2-10x42 and a Leupold 6x36. Results are downloading to Youtube....

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Sam will you post a link or tell us the title to look for on Youtube? I'm enjoying this thread. Like many people, I just want a scope that holds zero and has accurate repeatable adjustments. But I don't want or need turrets for dialing. I'm more interested in a set-and-forget scope for hunting under 450 yds. or so. If SWFA can make their Super Sniper scopes for $300, I don't understand why someone can't make a capped turret, duplex reticle hunting model that is as durable.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
With an illuminated center dot. If SWFA released one they'd sell a pile of them to simple minded 350 yds or less, woods deer hunters like me.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Form, good to know that they claim their response and toric are made to the same standards. Waiting on Sam to break his Toric report....I already broke an SWFA 1-4 tossing it on the turrets, maybe 36-48 inches high about 4-5 times. It did hold zero for a year after that however...and then you could wiggle a turret and make the reticle move, they gave me a new one.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jay and Jimmy, I will post a separate thread.

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Sam,

I'll look for it.

Form, good to know that they claim their response and toric are made to the same standards. Waiting on Sam to break his Toric report....I already broke an SWFA 1-4 tossing it on the turrets, maybe 36-48 inches high about 4-5 times. It did hold zero for a year after that however...and then you could wiggle a turret and make the reticle move, they gave me a new one.

Yes, the 1-4x Clasics are not built exactly like the others (obviously). They have done well for guys that have them, but after a couple people stated that they had issues on .375's and .458's it made me curious. The response that I got was "they're not 50 cal rated". They work, and they hold zero, but you are giving up some things on a $300 1-4x. In this case they are not completely bombproof.

Last edited by Formidilosus; 10/29/17.
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I am disappointed the Tract was not really tested....

Dave

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
It seems scopes over time have gotten more bells and whistles and less reliable. My SWFAs have seemed reliable but the exposed turrets are just begging for somebody to twist them as soon as you are not looking. Plus I am more of a hunter than a rifleman these days so have no desire to turn turrets to make a 909-yard shot in the field. I would much rather stalk and make a 40-yard shot. If Nightforce would make an SHV with a hunting reticle that is bold enough for hunting conditions, that would possibly be a a good option. Have been using Zeiss Conquest 2-10x42 RZ600s with good results but they quit making that combo and bought one used from here a few weeks ago and mounted it and it wouldn't hold a 6" group at 100. Haven't tested my Tracts enough to form an opinion yet.

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
If Nightforce would make an SHV with a hunting reticle that is bold enough for hunting conditions, that would possibly be a a good option. .

They do- SHV 3-10x42mm with Forceplex reticle....

As for the turrets on the SWFA, you can put a zero stop in them.

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by RDW

I figured that whoever owns might be upset if it was in pieces when they got it back.... 😉

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Formid, thanks for taking the time to run those tests. Interesting to say the least. One thing it very apparent; you know a helluva lot about optics, mounts, rifles, etc, but you don't know jackschittt about footwear........ laugh

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Good stuff here.

It took some time and too much money, but I finally got it.

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Form,

I have a NF SHV 3-10. Generally very happy with the scope but the moar is tough against a forest or brush back ground especially out 400 or 500.

It's not the center of the cross hairs that are fine but the MOA. hash marks.

Perhaps I can figure out how to put a zero stop on and then switch to the Forceplex reticle.

I did manage to take a 3X3 mulie W/O any problem.

I have total confidence in NF an both my son and I competed for years with never a issues clicking the hell out of them. (12X42 &5.5X22)

Otherwise love the scope and glad NF saw fit to make a scope that will work on a LW rig.

Great review BTW!

Lefty C

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by RDW

I figured that whoever owns might be upset if it was in pieces when they got it back.... 😉

I expected as much, but the video makes a statement on more than a few points.

Dave

Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (AKislander, 300_savage, Anaconda, 69sportfury, 17CalFan, 8 invisible), 1,577 guests, and 880 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,574
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.